VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

what kind of a RICH PERSON would you be? Exotics? Luxury? Race Car? Custom? post some pics.

18K views 133 replies 84 participants last post by  2.0_Mazda 
#1 ·
Let's say you're rich enough to have a few toys in your garage. But NOT SUPER RICH enough to have multiple super cars... So what kind of a garage would you have? Would it be flashy exotics? a bunch of luxo barges? maybe you'd go the weekend racer route and build yourself some "race" cars? Or would you commission a bunch of custom cars? etc..

No limit on the number of cars, but let's all be reasonable here.

Personally.. I don't think I would go the flashy exotic car route. I would be lying if I said I didn't like the attention, but I also don't want to be the typical rich dude with a bunch of Ferrari's and Lambo's either. My fleet:

BAC Mono. Probably the only flashy thing i'd own.

AC Cobra. I'd probably kill myself driving one, but damn is it hot.

Flyin Miata with LS engine swap

maybe also own some sort of SUV or luxo wagon for everday use.. like a Volvo or something.

See less See more
#67 · (Edited)
Don't really care for exotics, I'd start with a small fleet maybe add some classics later.
5th gen 4Runner Camping/Offroading/Daily

AP1 or AP2 S2000 Always wanted an S2K

MK7 R (DSG) Her Daily

G8 GXP I want some 'Murica, these are unique and should hold their value. But I'd maybe go Scat Pack Charger instead.

981 Cayman S I want a Porsche flat 6 behind my head.

I'd probably pick up an early manual V8 Vantage too. Easily one of the prettiest cars ever made IMO and they're relatively cheap now.

#71 ·
I'd love to have enough dollars to be able to not work and buy parts, so I could work on the cars and maintain them...and in some cases, commission parts to be made.

As far as cars:
1) Current Corrado, finally completed to my liking and potentially repainted.
2) Torn between an R32 Skyline and an R34 Skyline.
3) 2005 Toyota Rav4 - because my mom's has been the epitome of reliability.
4) Mitsu EVO 5 or 9...undecided.
5) 1983 VW GTI, black on red...just like my parents owned when I was born.

There are an infinite number of pocket rockets, hot matches, and performance sedans from the 80s and 90s that I lust after...but unsure of what I would geniunely want to own.

#74 · (Edited)
The Trackhawk wouldn't be a great tow vehicle for a Demon. Not enough tow capacity. Personally, the Demon does absolutely nothing for me, especially if I have unlimited funds and a whole stable of cars. If I'm buying a drag car, I'm buying a street legal pro mod that would make the Demon look wimpy.

#84 · (Edited)
My personal taste would be as follows

classic - 61 Ferrari 250 gt California OR more realistic classic 65 mustang gt350

daily(s) - ND Miata & Lexus LS 460 & C63 Black Series

truck(s) - New ecoboost raptor setup for high speed off road and a classic dodge power wagon for low speed off road fun with a 12v cummins swapped in for good measure with all the money you can throw at it - towing a house ? no problem !

race car - so many options. Ultimately I would probably settle on paul newman's old Datsun race cars. After watching this documentary - Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman (highly recommended by the way) I have much respect for him and the way he led his life! It would be an honor to own one of his race cars.

Also I think I will take one of all of these group b rally cars just because why not...

•Audi Sport Quattro RS 002.
•Ford RS200.
•Lada Samara S-proto.
•Lancia ECV.
•Toyota 222D (based upon MR2)
•Opel Kadett Rallye 4x4/Vauxhall Astra 4S.
•Peugeot 405 T16 GR.

#90 ·
I would start by buying two trucks, a GMC Sierra Denali as a daily driver, and a Dodge with a Cummins as a tow rig. Then I would buy a nice trailer and spend a lot of time driving around rural America looking for old cars, a la our own Cripyfritter. I would also need a big garage/workshop for all the tools I would buy.

In terms of an actual collection, depending on how rich I was, I would probably buy some cars with true historical significance, but mostly lots of old domestic stuff that no one really cares about anymore. And parts. Lots and lots of parts.

If I'm being totally honest, I would probably end up like the people you see on American Pickers, so I would probably need to budget for a helper to keep my stuff somewhat organized.

#96 ·
As long as I had my own garage to mess with stuff it would probably be a never ending stream of junk piles, and another 5.0 Mustang convertible.

#102 ·
My toys would all have big knobby tires and 4wd. :) Restored but still-offroadable FJ40 probably.

Tesla Model S or some other big luxury sedan of the wife's choosing.

New Toyota Land Cruiser for family hauling and winter duty.

Something cheap but safe and fun for the boy.

#106 ·
:thumbup:
We can debate this all day long. In theory, you are correct but like anything having to do with the law - it is up for interpretation.

From my personal experience - make a profit and you should be fine.

#123 ·
Haha, the truth is that if I somehow got rich, I'd probably be afraid to spend any money since I'd be so afraid to lose it. I'd probably be driving a Nissan Leaf with a Honda Odyssey as my luxury road trip vehicle, MMM style.

But if for some reason that wasn't the case, I'd probably just blow it on trying to do some sort of racing. I've been reading about Rally racing a lot lately, it looks like a hellofa lot of fun. Subaru with $10,000 coilovers, a sequential gearbox, and anti-lag? Hell yea.

#111 · (Edited)
I'd really just pick up anything that I thought was interesting, drive it for as long as I continued to find it interesting, sell it, and move on to something else. That and set up a kick ass fab/mech shop where I could design, create, and install bits.

I'd take everything I could to the track for fun.

And then I'd build some race cars and actually go racing (road, rally).

^With a crate LS swap.

#112 ·
...part of the drive way would look like this! :laugh:

#113 ·
I'd probably have an area of my property looking like a salvage yard, along with an oversized detached garage/workspace. I'd regularly browse Craigslist for all kinds of fun projects, pick up a few classic Japanese vehicles, just anything fun.

But that doesn't mean I don't have some essentials for the actual driveway/garage...

This took a lot more thinking than I initially anticipated haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#114 ·
I wouldn't own any modern exotics save for perhaps a 997 GT3 or 981 Cayman GT4. (GT4 is one car I'd definitely have in my fleet, though.)

Beyond that, I'd start gathering up the cars that tickle my fancy for whatever reason. Most aren't terribly expensive in decent shape ($20-80k, probably). Just cars that I think are interesting to look at, have interesting engineering, would be cool to drive, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.