Chevy-Swapped 1962 Ferrari 250 GTE! - The House Of Muscle
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chevy-Swapped 1962 Ferrari 250 GTE! - The House Of Muscle

An Italian-designed work of art with the soul of an American ironworker.

Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Mine was white, and I sprayed on the BRG with a rattle can. "Instant Lotus Cortina!"
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=lotus

I hate this.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      I hate this.
      For once, we agree.
      Porsche 930, Cash Incinerator
      BMW E24, Barnfind conversion in progress
      https://medium.com/@crashingdoor

Take the owner, pull the engine, tie them to it, burn it. Then take the Ferrari and somehow find the original engine, restore it at an outrageous expense, re-insert..........profit.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      I'm not a purist in the sense that Barry is, but I have to say "AW HELL NAW."
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

So they made a mutt . The car was never meant to be stupid fast or a dragster. Just leave it be and enjoy it as the sunny day cruiser it was destined to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      For once, we agree.
      That's twice now, I love the Infiniti M
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

No, thank you.
      Jason • Now 2.0T / 455 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I started the video with the mindset I'd hate it, but at the end it's pretty cool. Car was a donor car for some other Ferrari, instead of scrapping it they saved it and threw something else in it. The only thing I don't understand is why a 383 instead of a 454 or 426 Hemi.

The American LaFrance car hauler they show through the second half is every car guys wet dream. Well worth the watch. Still can't believe this is the same Mike Musto who got his start with a run on the TV show bullrun

Isn't a 383 a stroked 350? If so, probably deck height.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      I started the video with the mindset I'd hate it, but at the end it's pretty cool. Car was a donor car for some other Ferrari, instead of scrapping it they saved it and threw something else in it. The only thing I don't understand is why a 383 instead of a 454 or 426 Hemi.
      To me none of those engines fit the character of the car. Honestly if you're going to stuff an American engine in it I think it needs a custom built screamer that can rev to 8,000 or better. Preferably something with a flat crank to get that will let out a wail typical American engines don't have.

Certainly it wouldn't be a 383 in this day and age. Of course, they built it a long time ago, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      The American LaFrance car hauler they show through the second half is every car guys wet dream. Well worth the watch. Still can't believe this is the same Mike Musto who got his start with a run on the TV show bullrun
      Yeah, I love the car hauler.

That's twice now, I love the Infiniti M
      /hugs

Porsche 930, Cash Incinerator
      BMW E24, Barnfind conversion in progress
      https://medium.com/@crashingdoor

Quote Originally Posted by fizay View Post
      Isn't a 383 a stroked 350? If so, probably deck height.
      Correct. It is a 350 (4" bore) with a 400 crank. This nets you a 377. Add an 0.030" overbore and there is your 383.
      1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

I hate this.
      agreed times 100
      class steppin'

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      To me none of those engines fit the character of the car. Honestly if you're going to stuff an American engine in it I think it needs a custom built screamer that can rev to 8,000 or better. Preferably something with a flat crank to get that will let out a wail typical American engines don't have.

Certainly it wouldn't be a 383 in this day and age. Of course, they built it a long time ago, so there's that.

Yeah, I love the car hauler.

You can make a sbc run to 10,000rpm
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

To me none of those engines fit the character of the car.
      To me, a car's engine creates the vast majority of a car's character. Take any car, remove its engine, and how much character are you left with? Oh, sure, you've got the beauty of its body, or perhaps the attractiveness of the interior, but whenever you drive a car and revel in its character, you're being primarily influenced by its engine. Think about any of the great cars, character-wise, and ask yourself what exactly makes driving them so wonderful. NA Miata? The 1.6L jewel underhood. AW11 MR2? Same. AP1 S2000? Ditto.

Even the best chassis on the planet cannot move you without a powerplant (see what I did there?)... which is why I think a car's engine is what creates the bulk of its character.

And on a not-unrelated note, I completely approve of this Ferrari and its engine.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      You can make a sbc run to 10,000rpm
      Yes. Yes you can, but those certainly wouldn't be befitting this car, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      To me, a car's engine creates the vast majority of a car's character. Take any car, remove its engine, and how much character are you left with? Oh, sure, you've got the beauty of its body, or perhaps the attractiveness of the interior, but whenever you drive a car and revel in its character, you're being primarily influenced by its engine. Think about any of the great cars, character-wise, and ask yourself what exactly makes driving them so wonderful. NA Miata? The 1.6L jewel underhood. AW11 MR2? Same. AP1 S2000? Ditto.

Even the best chassis on the planet cannot move you without a powerplant (see what I did there?)... which is why I think a car's engine is what creates the bulk of its character.

And on a not-unrelated note, I completely approve of this Ferrari and its engine.
      I can't disagree and many cars are absolutely ruined with engine swaps. Other cars are simply different than what they were, sometimes better, sometimes worse and sometimes just different. This car seems to have been done well, but I think that it has lost too much in translation. A '72 Camaro with an LS is a fitting swap (duh), but a Ferrari with a straightforward SBC is too much of a change for my tastes. As I said, make that engine a Coyote with the flat plane crank (ideally with 4 IDA Weber carbs for this car) and I'd be more inclined to say 'yes'!

All of that being said, since this car (and apparently others of its ilk that have been picked clean to restore other Ferraris) wasn't going to get a standard engine under almost any circumstance something had to be done to make it more than yard art. Given the means I would simply have done it differently, but that's the entire point of a custom.

what a shame
      DUB CULT l ESAD l S6 V8 6speed swapped B5 A4 l PVW Nov 2016
      #hardlinesbyswoops #swoopsbuilt IG mr__pq

nope

All of that being said, since this car (and apparently others of its ilk that have been picked clean to restore other Ferraris) wasn't going to get a standard engine under almost any circumstance something had to be done to make it more than yard art. Given the means I would simply have done it differently, but that's the entire point of a custom.
      I completely agree and think this point is being lost amidst the "Oh God No!! No No No Nooooo Steve Carell meme"

I can only assume this was the result of someone cheaping out on a restoration. There is no other reason why someone would put a SBC in this car. And on a car like this, if you can't afford to do it right, you shouldn't do it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
      I completely agree and think this point is being lost amidst the "Oh God No!! No No No Nooooo Steve Carell meme"
      Ok, but something more interesting than a ****ing SBC would've been nice.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast