Chevy-Swapped 1962 Ferrari 250 GTE! - The House Of Muscle - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      take a valuable vintage Ferrari, stuff a mundane engine in it unrelated to the car, and then be surprised when people are annoyed.

i love me some SBC, but those old Ferrari V12s...come on man!
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I can only assume this was the result of someone cheaping out on a restoration. There is no other reason why someone would put a SBC in this car. And on a car like this, if you can't afford to do it right, you shouldn't do it at all.
      It's a direct result of people chopping up these poor GTEs to make GTO replicas, nothing more. The engine probably cost triple the price of the body because the GTO replica is so much more "prized" (expensive) in the first place.

A Colombo V12 rebuild is $40-70k. That's after sourcing the correct engine and I can't even find the going rate of one of those for sale (I found reference to one on Hemmings for $300k... engine only).

Meanwhile, an engineless 250 GTE used to be in the neighborhood of $10k just a few years ago.

This one sold for $26k just 7 years ago: http://bringatrailer.com/2010/04/12/...ferrari-250gte
      Last edited by VadGTI; 05-16-2017 at 05:33 PM.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Homer: “Look everyone, now that I’m a mechanic I’ve put a SBC in my Ferrari.” –
      Marge: “Homer, you're supposed to put a V12 in a Ferrari 250, not a SBC. You’ve ruined a perfectly good thing.”
      Homer: “Ah, incorrect Marge, two perfectly good things.”
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      All of that being said, since this car (and apparently others of its ilk that have been picked clean to restore other Ferraris) wasn't going to get a standard engine under almost any circumstance something had to be done to make it more than yard art. Given the means I would simply have done it differently, but that's the entire point of a custom.
      I'm not mad at it being custom, I'm made at the engine choice. Hell, pick a modern V12 from a wrecked Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      ...A Colombo V12 rebuild is $40-70k. That's after sourcing the correct engine and I can't even find the going rate of one of those for sale (I found reference to one on Hemmings for $300k... engine only)...
      Kudos to the owner for getting it on the road, but, apart from the Columbo V12, is there another, more economical Ferrari V12 he could have made work? The heart transplant analogy falls apart when your Ferrari sounds like a pickup truck after the operation.

EDIT:

A quick ebay search turned this up, $14,250:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-456-...s/302140523521

Last edited by vwtool; 05-16-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I can only assume this was the result of someone cheaping out on a restoration. There is no other reason why someone would put a SBC in this car. And on a car like this, if you can't afford to do it right, you shouldn't do it at all.
      I can only assume you didn't watch the video.

Many of these (4-seater) cars have been gutted in order to restore other Ferraris, leaving precious few drivetrains with which to restore these.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Ok, but something more interesting than a ****ing SBC would've been nice.
      That's what I'm saying. It looks like a nice job, but not what I'd put in there, that's for sure.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

It's a direct result of people chopping up these poor GTEs to make GTO replicas, nothing more. The engine probably cost triple the price of the body because the GTO replica is so much more "prized" (expensive) in the first place.

A Colombo V12 rebuild is $40-70k. That's after sourcing the correct engine and I can't even find the going rate of one of those for sale (I found reference to one on Hemmings for $300k... engine only).

Meanwhile, an engineless 250 GTE used to be in the neighborhood of $10k just a few years ago.

This one sold for $26k just 7 years ago: http://bringatrailer.com/2010/04/12/...ferrari-250gte
      Exactly, When this car was built, the big '60s Ferraris were almost literally worthless, even WITH their engines in them. Without, it's just a pile of scrap. So no one took a "valuable vintage Ferrari" and cut it up. It's just an old hot rod sedan that happened to have a prancing horse in the grille.

Yeah, NOW the GTEs are bringing good money, but not enough to justify sourcing a numbers matching engine yet.

Now, even in the time frame when it was done, I'd have used a DZ 302 Chevy with an Inglese Weber carb setup that revved to 9000 rpm, but that's my take on it.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Figure it this way folks...

Would you rather it be saved and have a SBC shoved in it or would you rather it get some Toyota straight 6 with turbos and slammed on some ridiculous air suspension?
      < Dan >

B5 Audi 1.8t

That should be punishable by death.
      Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Now, even in the time frame when it was done, I'd have used a DZ 302 Chevy with an Inglese Weber carb setup that revved to 9000 rpm, but that's my take on it.
      Hey, a 302 is a Ford!

Kidding! I'm kidding. I love to spring the 302 Chevy on people, myself. I agree it would've been a much better choice.

For those of you who don't know, the 302 was for Trans-Am racing as it came in under the class mandated 5 liters.

Both the car and hauler are cool.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

I think using a SBC allowed them to keep the engine bay "vintage" looking.
      It's also really compact.. which helps with packaging.
      Why hate on the obvious choice?
      You think they should have gone with Wankel?

Lawbear is 100%. This is the reason for the 383 underhood.

The GTE's were not collector cars back in the day--certainly not when this guy bought it, at least. My guess is either the original V12 went pop, or was yarded to install in a race car, or to repower another Ferrari with more value.

Also--if you all hate this, you're gonna hate what Jonathan Ward (ICON/TLC) is cooking up in his shop right now.

Who knew colombo would be so valuable?!

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Both the car and hauler are cool.
      I watched shortly after it first aired, and I agree. However, I do wonder if there could be room under it for a set of 180 degree headers...

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Also--if you all hate this, you're gonna hate what Jonathan Ward (ICON/TLC) is cooking up in his shop right now.
      I love the electric VW Thing he posted on Youtube just a couple of days ago.
      Jag är Sverige!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownA34DR View Post
      Figure it this way folks...

Would you rather it be saved and have a SBC shoved in it or would you rather it get some Toyota straight 6 with turbos and slammed on some ridiculous air suspension?
      yes. 2jz and make it a drift car. i would have enjoyed that much more
      Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      Car was a donor car for some other Ferrari, instead of scrapping it they saved it and threw something else in it. The only thing I don't understand is why a 383 instead of a 454 or 426 Hemi.
      383: cheaper, smaller, lighter and more than enough power for the street.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Clearly only 2 or 3 of you have watched the video. Big surprise there.

The car had NO ENGINE. And the owner chased a couple of leads to find the original engine, but they were dead ends. If he hadn't finished this, that body would be sitting some place rotting.
      Last edited by bob570; 05-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.
      First car: 1997 Jetta GT 2.0 with a slushbox
      Winter: 2004 Stage 2 Jetta NevAr lose edition with 5 speed manuél
      For fun: 2000 Camaro SS 6spd, 2000 Honda CBR600F4

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I think using a SBC allowed them to keep the engine bay "vintage" looking.
      It's also really compact.. which helps with packaging.
      Why hate on the obvious choice?
      You think they should have gone with Wankel?
      I just think a bored/stroked 350 is a very cookie cutter swap and not unique. You already have a unique car find something cooler to swap in. You could buy a 383 stroker from Summit racing for $1500. I'd have done a 426 Hemi or a 440 six pack for the hell of it. Either way it's awesome it was saved and it's not my car or my money. It's his and the quality of the work seems excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by bob570 View Post
      Clearly only 2 or 3 of you have watched the video. Big surprise there.

The car had NO ENGINE. And the owner chased a couple of leads to find the original engine, but they were dead ends. If he hadn't finished this, that body would be sitting some place rotting.
      Agreed. I watched this a few months ago. Went in very skeptical, came out of it a fan. This is a parts car that he put back together.
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      ... Either way it's awesome it was saved and it's not my car or my money. It's his and the quality of the work seems excellent.
      And he drives it. It's all that matter.

Maybe add side pipes?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

How dare they put an American V8 in a eye-talian car !

Better on the road than rotting somewhere.
      2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      past: '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro
      '85 VW GTI , 17 yrs and 280k miles, rusted away

Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      Kudos to the owner for getting it on the road, but, apart from the Columbo V12, is there another, more economical Ferrari V12 he could have made work? The heart transplant analogy falls apart when your Ferrari sounds like a pickup truck after the operation.

EDIT:

A quick ebay search turned this up, $14,250:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-456-...s/302140523521

Two things...

1) It does not sound like a pickup truck.
      2) that engine would look soooooo out of place unless converted to carbs or at least ITBs. This kind of thing can absolutely ruin a swap. This assumes, of course, that you can make it fit at all* and you can adapt the drivetrain.

*OHV V8s are tiny compared to DOHC V engines.

Geriatric Member
      well, at least it's not sitting in a barn waiting for a 'restoration' indefinitely.

I love that it's a tri power too.
      Last edited by Chapel; 05-17-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast