What's your philosophy: Have one do-it-all vehicle or multiple "specialized" ones? - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: All for one or one for all?

Voters
    94. You may not vote on this poll
    • One "do-everything" vehicle.

17 18.09%
    • Two or more vehicles for different purposes.

77 81.91%
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      Since I bought my truck, my goal is to get either a GT 86 or 370Z for summer driving. I miss having a stick and even though I love my Frontier, it would be nice to have something sporty again.
      And thats why I picked up an e36 M3 in addition to my 4runner

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I currently have the SS as a weekend car, and it just lacks a certain something.
      Triple Weber DCOE 40's, perhaps? Hmmmm??? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

One car = compromise

Compromise is settling on mediocrity.

Therefore...

Multiple cars are needed to truly be happy, or capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      I don't know where I stand on this. I have three cars and all of them could be considered "do it all" cars. The least practical of the bunch can still hold four adults, pick up my kid, and be a serviceable commuter for me.

I obviously like the specialized route but I also like redundancy and a certain amount of overlap. But my insurance bill is $400/mo...
      Holy #@^! how is your insurance so expensive? That seems crazy high.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      One car = compromise

Compromise is settling on mediocrity.

Therefore...

Multiple cars are needed to truly be happy, or capable.
      Pretty much this.

Not to say there aren't several "do-it-all" cars that can skew towards the driving enjoyment end of the spectrum...but there is still usually compromise.

I've only ever owned one car at a time but I am looking forward to that changing hopefully later this year when I get a truck.

The Evos are the only car that's come close to doing it all for me in my climate...but when you need a truck, you need a truck, IMO.
      Current: 2013 Evo X (his), 2016 BMW 3GT (hers)
      Past: 2008 Si (sold), 2012 Mustang GT (sold), 2003 Evo VIII (sold), 2001 Golf 1.8T (sold)

I used to be in the 1 car camp, and now I am in the "We need our next house to have garage space for 4+ cars."

One car is DD, fits family, etc. One car for weekend drives, preferably convertible. One car for the track. One car for the wife, which can hopefully tow.

That's 4. Anything on top of that is just for collecting or for sheer desirability. As technology advances and as I get older, I find myself liking older cars more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_munkeys View Post
      Holy #@^! how is your insurance so expensive? That seems crazy high.
      Yeah, that's nuts. I do recall him saying that he likes to speed though, so that might be part of it. Plus, downforce. Using that everyday doesn't come cheap.

I'm a one car* kinda guy. I tried the multi-car thing, but it wasn't for me. Back when in my mid/late-20s, I had an '01 Boxster, '01 IS300, and '07 Outback Sport at the same time. "Gee, do I take the Lexus or the Porsche to work today?" and all of that. All cool cars, and it was fun to have variety, but it was expensive, occasionally annoying, and I'd rather have more bikes taking up garage space than a car or two that I rarely drive. Due to a cross-country move, I was sort of forced to consolidate all three down to one car (winner: '08 Si sedan). That worked out quite a lot better.

*Assuming my wife also has a CUV of some sort.

I always have at least one fun old car (which is currently a 96 Miata) and a 4 door sedan that has some elements of fun and luxury. Both are manual.

Fun vehicles: Miata, Z31 300ZX, Saab 900t vert, LT-1 Firebird, Saab 900t vert, and IROC camaro (the only auto)
      DDs: Accord 6-6, Volvo S40 T5, Lexus IS300 (the only auto) and MK4 Jetta GLX.

My main issue with a do-it all car: For a fun car, I prefer something older (Late 80s to mid 90s) but for a daily driver I want something newer than a 2005 for a level of reliability, refinement and gizmos. Also, something that is raw as a miata isn't going to be a great daily driver.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Yeah, that's nuts. I do recall him saying that he likes to speed though, so that might be part of it. Plus, downforce. Using that everyday doesn't come cheap.
      Whew, yeah. Maybe the Si needs to go -- mine was always super expensive to insure. I was 24 when I bought my '03 Si and there were a few months where my insurance was more than my car payment (like $275 compared to $250). Thankfully it dropped by about $100/mo when I turned 25 and then continued to drop.

We pay $750-$800/6 mo. (Costco/Ameriprise, grad degree, good credit, blah blah)
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Whew, yeah. Maybe the Si needs to go -- mine was always super expensive to insure. I was 24 when I bought my '03 Si and there were a few months where my insurance was more than my car payment (like $275 compared to $250). Thankfully it dropped by about $100/mo when I turned 25 and then continued to drop.

We pay $750-$800/6 mo. (Costco/Ameriprise, grad degree, good credit, blah blah)
      The Si isn't cheap, that's for sure. I imagine a Golf R isn't either. We're around $560/6 months for our two cars (SF, with homeowners and including cheap but nice things like $0 deductible comp, rental loss of revenue, etc., and I've been with them for 20 years). My Si was never all that expensive ($130/month in CA, maybe, with a ticket on my record), but it's certainly more than a lot of cars. Back when I had too many cars, the Boxster was something like $40/month as a 'secondary pleasure vehicle'. My G35 gets driven less than 7,500/year, so it's in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      I'm a one car* kinda guy. I tried the multi-car thing, but it wasn't for me.
      For a lot of people, I can see finding a car that's a good fit, and being perfectly okay with it.

I think for people who track cars (both the lack of comfort, and possibility of it getting crunched), or those of us with ageing cars, having a spare is almost a necessity.
      It's really nice to be able to do repairs, etc, and not have to have the car back together to get to work.

Last week, I had to replace the headlight lens on the TDI. While the bumper was off, I also pulled both fender liners, both quarter panels, and addressed some minor rust I found behind the front wheels.
      I took my time , and let the job span the entire week. No worries.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Blog Entries
      I don't see it in terms of a specialized purpose, just different types of cars--I'd love to have an Evo and a Viper. Or my current situation, a corrado SLC and M3. I don't really need to do much compromising in what I drive. I could technically be fine driving a Miata or Exige as a daily, since I don't use a car on a daily basis. The only considerations would deal with potential weather, so I likely wouldn't own a corvette as a daily as I just wouldn't want to drive that car in the winter. Incidentally, I like the idea of something that can be driven off-road. This would also, however, double as something that would be considered specialized/practical. One of these days, I'm going to pull the trigger on some type of truck or SUV.

Multiple:
      4 door, 6sp BMW for DD duty
      2 door, 6sp, 2 seat conv for weekend and mountain fun
      4 door, AT, mid sized 4WD SUV for family/stuff hauling

(Plus 2 cars for my kids so they don't use mine)

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      My fleet answers that question, I think.

For the past 15+ years I've nearly always had two cars: one more practical, one less so.
      "KAR 120C" doesn't answer any questions. Speak anglish.

Multiple:
      Wife has Odyssey as the family turckster.
      Truck for daily/home stuffs.
      CC for modding fun.
      Miata for top down and wrenching fun.

when i was younger, finances and parking made this decision for me... one car to do it all.

now that i am older... married, family, a house...etc.
      i can have multiple cars much easier. especially when i can steer the wifes car buying decisions... or even at times completely freight train and make the decision for her.

so now we have lots of cars, some of which do different things. but i am in the process of paring things down a little. my hope is to be down to 3 by end of summer.
      minivan - sienna.
      wife - mazda6.
      fun/my daily - miata pending purchase.

so that means the Audi and the Saab, plus the Ninja will be out the door.

we have the minivan, and mazda6 covered.
      i am working on buying a friends miata.
      i am working on another friend to buy my Saab, should be able to clear this by end of month.
      the Ninja needs a tuneup and then it will be craigslisted, hopefully before end of month.

that leaves the Audi, which is a bit of a project to be honest. THAT one might be harder to sort out. i really dont NEED this one to go away on any set schedule, more just that it SHOULD go away.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Triple Weber DCOE 40's, perhaps? Hmmmm??? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
      I should just do this on my LS3:

That'll add a little something extra.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

One car. I don't want to pay the expenses for a second vehicle. It does make finding the one car more difficult though.

Motorcycle for good weather
      Car for miserable weather
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

I like the 'one tool, one purpose' philosophy for cars (and some other things) despite being the far less efficient way of using resources. One daily driver that is exceptionally good at tackling daily duties, and one weekend vehicle that is solely focused on driving pleasure and nothing else.

Also, it adds variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Motorcycle for good weather
      Car for miserable weather
      And this too.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

1 "transportation appliance" which happens to also be a pickup truck so it's my DD and if I gotta haul crap from home depot or target or whatever...

1 "fun car" which at the moment is a Porsche Cayman. Kept in the garage and enjoyed on "spirited" backroad drives on the weekend and the occasional C&C, and it even and has reasonable cargo room for weekend trips with the lady...
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." -H. L. Mencken

One do it all isn't possible. The closest car is probably an Audi Allroad, VW Alltrack, VW Golf R Wagon, VW Tiguan, or Porsche Cayenne. Even they suffer drawbacks.

Eos VR6-Daily, not very moddable for cheap, easy to keep "stock"
      Mk7-Project, future racecar, was my daily, but there comes a point when modifying you run a risk of the car not being ready for work the next day. Looking at you clutch and big brakes
      Mk1-Fun classic car for shows and pleasure drives

My parents always had a total of 4 or more:
      Dad's Daily
      Mom's Daily
      Vintage Car
      Project Car
      Towing vehicle

I think if single 3-4 cars is the right number:
      Tow/Haul vehicle - This could also be your daily depending on your commute length or needs.
      Daily
      Fun/Project Car
      Vintage Car

Married 4-6 pending if she's a car enthusiast:
      Tow/Haul vehicle - This could also be your daily depending on your commute length or needs.
      His Daily
      Her Daily
      Fun/Project Car
      Vintage Car
      Fun/Project/Vintage car for her - optional
      Last edited by Blade3562; 05-18-2017 at 12:11 AM.

we balanced kid friendly practicality with fun:

My Daily: R53 mini
      Her Daily/Family duties: Mazda 5 GT (manual! woot woot!)
      Fun/project car: classic mini

Current plan is to replace the R53 with a Golf R or Clubman JCW to add kid carrying utility while maintaining 'fun' equation.

Both ends of this equation have their merit. It can be hard how to choose. My current situation is i had to drop down to 1x car. Have a 16" FiST. Tempted to keep it as my DD, and then get a C6 vette as my toy. But i am also leaning towards getting a new WRX (trading in the FiST) and that way have one awd sedan as my DD, and then dunno. Been wanting to pick up a WJ Grand Cherokee as well, would love one as my winter/truck (02" was the last year for those).

I love to have cars that can do a whole lot, maybe not all. I daily-drove my TT for 6 years and it hauled plenty for 2 people, could drive through any weather with a rear sway and AWD controller, and was reliable until recently (a resto is coming within a year). Still, I love the Outback because its got plenty of room, it'll drive through just about anything with the drivetrain and lift, and yet it drives like a sporty midsize sedan. I'd love something hardcore and RWD and also an honest-to-god expedition type of truck, but only if I kept the TT and XT. I like cars with the ability to cover a lot of bases while also being basically efficient about it, so as much as I want a Wrangler or whatever that wouldn't cut it for daily-driving. Our Soul follows the same logic since its roomy, cheap to operate, and is good-looking while also being a practical, tall hatch.
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 05-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast