Charleston-based JDM tuner shop busted for illegally importing a R33 GTR - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      How is the flouting of victimless tax laws in the the name of making money even news? I'm sorry I thought this was America! At this rate the next thing you know it will be, this just in "poor people ****ed over by big companies", I don't want to read that crap, Money > Everything and anything. If you don't like it here, leave or buy your own damn presidency.

These guys should be heralded as the ingenious entrepreneurs they really are.
      "Criminally insane, with a few brief lucid intervals."
      | Rust | Zip-Ties | JB Weld | Bad Idle | Scrapes Ground | Rubs when Turning | Busted Ass Door handles |

Just wait a couple more years and do it legally.
      DWA since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Just wait a couple more years and do it legally.
      Or store it in Canada and wait a couple more years.

Quote Originally Posted by G60 Carat View Post
      victimless
      Resumes the sum of what they've done, and they're facing a crazy sentences.
      But we get some people out in days for killing other people.

It's just a car, they don't build it anymore, and there aren't a ton here. Who cares if it doesn't pass emissions and safety. They should be dinged heavy $ for tax evasion...but that's it.

It's along the same line as the airport security guy who threatened to fine me $850 for "importing my half-eaten burrito with steak in it from another airport". f*ck off
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Quote Originally Posted by G60 Carat View Post
      How is the flouting of victimless tax laws in the the name of making money even news? I'm sorry I thought this was America!.
      They're no geniuses. And there is much more to it than tax evasion. Even if that's all there was, it would not make the crime victimless. All taxpayers pay when criminals evade taxes. We can talk about the relative merits of a "sin" tax versus compliance with the current set of regulations. But the current system is not likely to change anytime soon.
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC90 - 2010 Volvo XC70 - 1991 Mazda Miata :: 2000 Aprilia RS50 - 1972 Honda CB350
      Past: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 - 2013 Volkswagen GTI - 2007 BMW 335i - 1988 BMW 635CSi - 1987 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1984 BMW 633CSi :: 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 - 1983 Yamaha YZ80

Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      It's just a car, they don't build it anymore, and there aren't a ton here. Who cares if it doesn't pass emissions and safety.
      This has less to do with the emissions and safety of a few old Skylines and more to do with tort liability and maintaining the integrity of the entire US auto regulatory system. You don't want loopholes so big that businesses and customers jump through them en masse, thus circumventing their purpose for society at large.
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC90 - 2010 Volvo XC70 - 1991 Mazda Miata :: 2000 Aprilia RS50 - 1972 Honda CB350
      Past: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 - 2013 Volkswagen GTI - 2007 BMW 335i - 1988 BMW 635CSi - 1987 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1984 BMW 633CSi :: 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 - 1983 Yamaha YZ80

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      You don't want loopholes so big that businesses and customers jump through them en masse, thus circumventing their purpose for society at large.
      ... or to put it another way - it was hard for mercedes* to maintain their outrageous USDM pricing if people were able to import new or newish european cars.
      so now they cant. because safety. or because emissions. or because whatever... $

*Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are Canadian does it matter? They are legal to import into canada currently and 3 years away from legal importation to the US. I understand the whole "valued at x vs y, but in all honesty parts could have been traded or other items of equal value except $810. You never know. I also think $52k is a ridiculously high estimate when R32 GTRs sell for $17k or less and legal MotorEx R33 cars are lucky to bring 50k...

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      I also think $52k is a ridiculously high estimate when R32 GTRs sell for $17k or less and legal MotorEx R33 cars are lucky to bring 50k...
      Customs agents are probably huge NSFS: Underground fans.
      Ross-Tech HEX-USB+CAN Interface user. PM if you want help locally (NE Atlanta area).
      Legendary
      "You really think someone would do that - just go on the internet and tell lies?"

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      I also think $52k is a ridiculously high estimate
      Hey R33's in pieces ARE only worth $810 in Canada. Just another one to add to pile of mismatched Skylines we already have running around here.
      "Criminally insane, with a few brief lucid intervals."
      | Rust | Zip-Ties | JB Weld | Bad Idle | Scrapes Ground | Rubs when Turning | Busted Ass Door handles |

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      ... or to put it another way - it was hard for mercedes* to maintain their outrageous USDM pricing if people were able to import new or newish european cars.
      That was a big part of it back then. The manufacturers wanted to profit from the arbitrage themselves. I'm always amused how Tom Cruise's character gets caught up in this at the beginning of the movie Rain Man.

However, today I think you'll find that every manufacturer who has spent billions to comply with our relatively tough laws would oppose importers undercutting them with non-compliant vehicles from foreign markets. Thus starts the inevitable debate about global harmonization of auto regs, the relative safety of vehicles from mature markets like EU, tort liability, personal responsibility, etc. The fact is billions of dollars are spent each year in product liability cases. And that's with relatively responsible players with long-term ambitions in the US market. Besides the potential financial and criminal penalties associated with product liability issues, courts and regulators have the ability to force changes in the system to hopefully prevent deaths/injuries from recurring in the future. But this only works if there is someone with enough skin in the game to hold accountable.

Ultimately, this all boils down to a cost argument. How much is your freedom of choice worth? How much is a life worth in a product liability sense? How much do other choices end up costing me and/or society at large? The same arguments can be made about motorcycle helmet use, mass incarceration for non-violent drug offenses, abortion, school privatization/ choice, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12