TCL: Help me find a Jetta Trek Bicycle - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      I can assure you the cycling community is laughing at you.
      Don't care.

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      Don't care.

Also, gripshift was retarded and it was the first thing I changed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

$300 is way way way too much to pay for that

The bike comes with 7speed GRIPSHIFT.

These are the worst bikes Trek ever made.

Coming from a bike mechanic, who sees these all the time, and customers wondering why we wouldn't pay $300 for a used one...because they were $250 new.

If you want one to complete a Trek edition Jetta, that's awesome. The VW logo grips and stitched saddle are the only worthwhile parts.

I'm not trying to shame you or anything, just don't waste $300 on a bike that you shouldn't pay more than $100 for.

(just look at the plastic test ride pedals!)

This was VW's great scam to get people to spend an extra $1,000 on a car -- buy buying a full-rigid mountain bike that was literally worth $250 new.

The only thing worse are the new GMC Denali mountain bikes, or the Hummer H3 folding mountain bikes (that no one who drives a Hummer will ever use).

Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      I can assure you the cycling community is laughing at you.
      I'm not laughing, I just feel bad. In the summer time when bike shops are busiest, sometimes I would throw away 3-4 of these a week.

I could probably find you one for free... but this is in Seattle so you pay shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathJuice View Post
      The bike comes with 7speed GRIPSHIFT.

These are the worst bikes Trek ever made.

Coming from a bike mechanic, who sees these all the time, and customers wondering why we wouldn't pay $300 for a used one...because they were $250 new.

If you want one to complete a Trek edition Jetta, that's awesome. The VW logo grips and stitched saddle are the only worthwhile parts.

I'm not trying to shame you or anything, just don't waste $300 on a bike that you shouldn't pay more than $100 for.

(just look at the plastic test ride pedals!)

This was VW's great scam to get people to spend an extra $1,000 on a car -- buy buying a full-rigid mountain bike that was literally worth $250 new.

The only thing worse are the new GMC Denali mountain bikes, or the Hummer H3 folding mountain bikes (that no one who drives a Hummer will ever use).
      I'm 99.99% sure the blue and purple one were equipped with metal pedals. Both of ours have them. With all the miles we've put on them the only issue we've had was the nut on the front fork came loose when my dad hit a bank overhang with the bikes on the roof . Maybe we got lucky, but I've loved them. That's why I want another.

Found a pic of my dad's purple one.

I have a VW skeleton do da do man I'll sell to you for $50.

Mods move this thread to the Cycling forum in 1,2,3.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      The Trek edition VWs were the most sensible thing VW ever did.
      Here is your new VW, and here is your definitely needed backup transportation.

I think the cars had different seats, maybe some other random parts as part of the package.

Didn't they make a k2 edition, or was that a golf?

edit, quick search shows they made both
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ugq45gdxqAs
      Last edited by Gromel; 05-18-2017 at 08:32 AM.

I will confirm that gripshift sucked. I still have an all-steel 1996 Gary Fisher mountain bike (converted to single-speed) and it rides like a dream. Dat steel...

Serious question: do you have experience riding modern higher-end bikes? I don't think you realize what you are missing out on.

Some of you folks are so obtuse. He isn't looking for a "new" mountain bike. He knows what he wants. A collectors item with nostalgic value.

I didn't pay much attention to those Jetta Trek bikes back then, I didn't know it came with a unique saddle. Very cool. The rest of the bike is a run of the mill Trek 930 if I recall.

Moving this to the cycling forum would be a shame. Few people post there.

BTW Grip Shift doesn't suck. It is a simple and very effective system for most users. We donated nearly 800 bikes to kids this spring and the vast majority of them had grip shift.

Bunch of snobs in here.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      Some of you folks are so obtuse. He isn't looking for a "new" mountain bike. He knows what he wants. A collectors item with nostalgic value.

I didn't pay much attention to those Jetta Trek bikes back then, I didn't know it came with a unique saddle. Very cool. The rest of the bike is a run of the mill Trek 930 if I recall.

Moving this to the cycling forum would be a shame. Few people post there.

BTW Grip Shift doesn't suck. It is a simple and very effective system for most users. We donated nearly 800 bikes to kids this spring and the vast majority of them had grip shift.

Bunch of snobs in here.
      I don't think it's snobbery as much is it's an incredulous "Wait, you want to spend how much on a 20 year old out-of-date mediocre bicycle?" If you're simply wanting a used bike you can do much better for $300.00. If you're wanting a collector's item then it's not a good idea to ride it. If you're wanting a collector's item to ride, then you're in a bit of a catch-22. It's not a great bike and it costs more than it's worth as a bike.

My old steel Specialized Rockhopper is from that era (I was still in college, so it's from '94-'96), is now worth nowhere close to $300.00 and has actual front suspension, a better frame and likely better components throughout. Oh, and for the record, it has grip shift, which was decent at the time, but was quickly succeeded by trigger shifters which worked considerably better.

At least that's how I see it all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

He said $300 at most. That means (in my mind), $300 for a perfectly mint never ridden bicycle with features that are hard to find. (which are out there)

Is that incredulous? Not at all. How much do mint Lemon Peelers go for? They made a million Sting Rays but people still pay good money for them. Do they ride great? No. It isn't about that. It is connecting with your youth. I can't believe I have to even explain this to people who hold on to car parts like they are made of gold.

$300 barely gets you a single part on a mountain bike these days.

We gave away nearly 800 bicycles to kids this spring and a Jetta Trek wasn't in the batch as far as I know it. We had plenty of other bikes from that era (including Specialized Rockhoppers) and the kids who got them didn't care that the bikes had old 8 speed shifters on them.
      Last edited by simple; 05-24-2017 at 04:10 PM.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Early Grip Shift was designed to work with Shimano derailers before SRAM started making its own derailers. At some stage in the 1990s, Shimano switched to lighter derailer springs to reduce the effort needed to trigger its own Rapid Fire trigger shifters. But the higher friction in the Grip Shift shifters made shifting in the "release" direction worse (particularly under load and/or when there was mud on the derailers).

So more recent Grip Shift presumably works well with SRAM derailers, but the Jetta Trek bicycle may have been from the time when Grip Shift with Shimano derailers did not work that well.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      He said $300 at most. That means (in my mind), $300 for a perfectly mint never ridden bicycle with features that are hard to find. (which are out there)...
      Fine. Fine. I don't care that much. I was just calling it like I interpreted it. I get the nostalgia thing just fine but this one seems a bit weird, even to me.

Also, I would certainly hope that kids being given bikes would be grateful, whether the bikes were up to date or quite old - as long as they functioned well and weren't embarrassing for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      Early Grip Shift was designed to work with Shimano derailers before SRAM started making its own derailers. At some stage in the 1990s, Shimano switched to lighter derailer springs to reduce the effort needed to trigger its own Rapid Fire trigger shifters. But the higher friction in the Grip Shift shifters made shifting in the "release" direction worse (particularly under load and/or when there was mud on the derailers).

So more recent Grip Shift presumably works well with SRAM derailers, but the Jetta Trek bicycle may have been from the time when Grip Shift with Shimano derailers did not work that well.
      That makes sense. My grip shifters always worked well, but as stated mine is a couple of years older than the Trek. On the other hand there was one time that I was trying sooooo hard to get down to a lower gear before I went over, not realizing there weren't any lower gears and I just needed to generate more torque. That trail was pretty technical and I may have been in over my head.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

I personally like grip shift for one reason, you can go full steam towards a hill in a high gear then downshift multiple (or all) gears in one quick go vs having to downshift one-by-one. In either case, I still much prefer my 2003 XTR total integration shifters where the brake lever doubles as a shifter like on a road bike.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
      That's a Chinese pile of trash with a VW sticker on it. Never knew that existed!

If you want vintage cachet, you need a Porsche Bike FS Evolution

ka-ching!
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

So how does the Porsche bike compare to a similar bike from a proper bike brand (Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Etc.)?
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

I can understand wanting something and paying for nostalgic value or to complete a Trek edition car package.

I don't understand wanting an item with wear items like grips and a seat to use. Why ride it when the only items that makes it more valuable are the grips and seat and will wear out?
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post

Interesting. I didn't hate the concept, but it wanted to bind up and sprocket block me at the worst times.

OP, call Village Cycle Center in Chicago. They have 4 stories with over 10,000 bikes in stock at any time. They are one of the oldest Trek dealers in the world. They have new in box bikes of nearly every vintage and nearly everything desirable to even the weirdest bike nut in sizes colors etc. There is not a larger collection of Treks in the world. You might have to dig a little though, dont give up after the first try. Hoarders dont always like to part with their stuff. Ive been through the entire store, all 4 stories of warehouse, I promise its there.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I personally like grip shift for one reason, you can go full steam towards a hill in a high gear then downshift multiple (or all) gears in one quick go vs having to downshift one-by-one. In either case, I still much prefer my 2003 XTR total integration shifters where the brake lever doubles as a shifter like on a road bike.
      You have to be kidding, total integration is the single biggest abomination in bicycle shifting history. Followed close by gripshift, at least if youre doing any kind of aggressive offroad riding at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      So how does the Porsche bike compare to a similar bike from a proper bike brand (Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Etc.)?
      Its decades old technology. The rear suspension design is called a URT, unified rear triangle. Its a fancy looking version of simple "single pivot" design. You have basically zero rear suspension movement when standing yet it bounces along nearly undampened when seated, regardless of how fancy or adjustable your rear shock is. Also you have zero rear suspension movement under braking. Every single modern suspension design has been designed to fix the issues URT has. It is arguably the worst rear suspension design in existence.

For some reason this thread reminds me of the Volkswagen sausages.
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      OP, call Village Cycle Center in Chicago. They have 4 stories with over 10,000 bikes in stock at any time. They are one of the oldest Trek dealers in the world. They have new in box bikes of nearly every vintage and nearly everything desirable to even the weirdest bike nut in sizes colors etc. There is not a larger collection of Treks in the world. You might have to dig a little though, dont give up after the first try. Hoarders dont always like to part with their stuff. Ive been through the entire store, all 4 stories of warehouse, I promise its there..
      Awesome will do! Never heard of them, but I have a feeling they will have one maybe even have the different frame sizes! I have two closer leads in chasing down right now! Thank you for the vortex link as well DUTCHswift!

Thanks for all the info guys! Very helpful. Can't believe how much variation is out there with a simple bike! However I'm only after a blue or purple Trek VW one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast