Can anyone make me a plug-n-play ABA OBD2 harness?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

Can anyone make me a plug-n-play ABA OBD2 harness?

Hey all. I'm having a really hard time getting my swap running. It's a 2.0 ABA OBD2 but it's going in a US-built MK2. I've been working on it so long and trying to make my own harness, and it's just giving me such a hard time I'm starting to lose interest. By this point I just want it running. I'd love one of the plug and play harnesses from NLS but I can't afford $425. Anyone selling a used one, or can make me a plug and play ABA OBD2 harness and will accept lowballs or have it decently affordable for sale? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the problem is that CE1 wiring (I'm assuming your 86 Golf) has no plugs on the fuse box so you can't really make something plug and play without cutting off wires from the CE1 fuse box and installing plugs. What would a plug and play harness "plug" into?

I can't promise anything, but if you tell me the exact year and model the ABA harness/engine is and exact year and model of the car you're trying to wire it to, I can look into it. I'm assuming that you're trying to the get the fuse box to power the ECU and have the ECU operate the stock fuel pump relay, get a RPM signal, oil pressure light, reverse lights, things like that?

I spend a lot of time with wire harnesses and diagrams.
      Last edited by fopeano; 05-19-2017 at 06:43 AM.
      I used my 6 years of Mk2 hobbyist training to become a professional tech in 2006, but that makes you not want to work on your car as much.
      YouTube channel of my cars, blown up cars from work, and some of the more interesting work I've done

1986 Golf has the US wiring so it's not even CE1. US wiring harness is all one piece, fuse box relay panel and all.

You can't make a plug and play harness for US wiring.

Only option for plug and play is swap the car to CE2.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
      small VW mk2/mk1 parts yard; S.E. Ohio
      currently have 4 mk2 parts cars, 3 mk1 pickups, 1 B4 sedan and a garage full of stuff.
      -PM me for fastest response-

It's more of a standalone harness, like this one that nothing leaves stock makes. They call it plug and play because it's supposed to take less than 10 minutes to hook up and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, I've got clarification that I'm not sure what a CE1 harness is, but I definitely know CE2 (I've done custom CE2 work) and what the back of the 86 Golf relay panel looks like (I built one maybe 10 years ago).

So Mk2. I see what you're talking about here. I spent way too much time researching the NLS harness last night, which they have made great effort not to give away their secrets while trying to answer questions about it (specifically to make it hard for a guy like me to copy it and hurt their business). I understand most of what NLS is doing here and I can probably do the same thing to the same core harness. I don't really like the setup because much of the stock harness stays in the car not doing anything, which seems crude. However, you can't deny that it works just fine and is much simpler than doing it any kind of vehicle specific/"correct"/PITA way, which is how I've done the couple custom harnesses I have made for myself. I shouldn't be spending the time away from my project, but I've gotten curious and I'm looking into it further.
      I used my 6 years of Mk2 hobbyist training to become a professional tech in 2006, but that makes you not want to work on your car as much.
      YouTube channel of my cars, blown up cars from work, and some of the more interesting work I've done