Exhaust tip soot conspiracy
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

Exhaust tip soot conspiracy

So I've always filled up on Sam's Club gas since I've owned the car. There's a Sam's in my community and their premium is significantly cheaper. I forgot to renew my membership, so needed to fill up on Shell for the past two tanks.

With the Sam's gas, soot would build up on the inside pipes pretty quickly; within a few days of the last wiping. Based on what I've seen around here, it seemed to be normal. But for these past two tanks, the soot buildup seems to be noticeably reduced.

Anyone notice less soot buildup with potentially "higher quality" fuel?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes

I've only ever put Mobil super in all my cars they're whole life. Is it possible? Yes because of the extra things that the top tier gas company's put in. But when it comes to me my cars only see Mobil and if for some reason it's not near me where I am I will do shell as they are both the top gasoline you can buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevron only, occasionally Shell. It takes days before I see anything. But every car will be slightly different as well as the fuel in the area, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

I've posted this several times but I'm not sure anyone has confirmed but in my experience sooty tips happen with ethanol blended fuels.

I accidentally filled up with an ethanol 91 (that station has "pure" 94 and I forgot) once and my tips were the worst I've ever seen. For the last year every tank but that one has been non-ethanol 91 (Shell V-Power Nitro+, top tier, gluten-free, yada-yada) and my tips have no more on them than normal road grime. I wipe them down maybe once every two months... basically whenever I get around to washing the car.
      Last edited by isoprene; 05-19-2017 at 05:29 PM.

I only use 94 octane and my tips over the past month since picking up the car were black as black can be. I cleaned them a few days ago with some polish and they are fairly black again already. I should just get actual black exhaust tips I think or else this will drive me crazy...

n00b
      what do you guys use to clean the tips?

I keep a microfiber in the hatch that I use to wipe at least every fill-up. Usually does the trick since I stay on top of it.

About once a month I'll hit em with some NevrDull which makes them literally like new. It isn't necessary to use any cleaner very often if you stay on top of em like I with the microfiber.

'17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes

n00b
      Quote Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
      I keep a microfiber in the hatch that I use to wipe at least every fill-up. Usually does the trick since I stay on top of it.

About once a month I'll hit em with some NevrDull which makes them literally like new. It isn't necessary to use any cleaner very often if you stay on top of em like I with the microfiber.

thanks! I'll check today with the microfiber, maybe it's not too late (I've only filled up twice )

Quote Originally Posted by comomolo View Post
      thanks! I'll check today with the microfiber, maybe it's not too late (I've only filled up twice )
      Yup, just a dry microfiber. If that doesn't get it off, pick up the NevrDull. It's like 5 bucks at Walmart and will last you forever.

i try to buy costco gas whenever i can because $.
      i did not notice a difference, but did not use other fuels enough perhaps to properly test out your theory.

Costco gas is from bottom of the barrel, literally. They buy leftovers from everywhere at discounted prices then pass the "savings" on to the consumer. I'd never buy gas from Costco for a high performance car. No offense but if $2.00 per tank makes a difference for you, you might be in a wrong vehicle. Chevron and Shell on the other hand have the most consistent gas and the best additives.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Costco gas is from bottom of the barrel, literally. They buy leftovers from everywhere at discounted prices then pass the "savings" on to the consumer. I'd never buy gas from Costco for a high performance car. No offense but if $2.00 per tank makes a difference for you, you might be in a wrong vehicle. Chevron and Shell on the other hand have the most consistent gas and the best additives.
      i was always thinking like you for a long time, but trying it with other cars, i got to like it and i don't think Costco fuel is bad at all. especially since they tout top-tier.

if i was you, i would check more on it and save some dough on the side. the only problem is the long lines if you don't go early!!

https://www.costco.com/gasoline.html

Types of Fuel and Fuel Quality
      Q: Is Kirkland Signature™ Gasoline TOP TIER™ certified?
      A: Yes. Both unleaded grades of gasoline sold at Costco have been certified to meet the TOP TIER™ performance standards. The owners' manuals provided by the following manufacturers recommend using TOP TIER™ gasoline to maintain optimal engine performance and efficiency.

BMW, including Mini Cooper and Rolls-Royce
      Fiat Chrysler, including Dodge, Ram Trucks, Alfa Romeo and Maserati
      General Motors, including Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC
      Honda, including Acura
      Mercedes-Benz, including Smart
      Toyota, including Lexus and Scion
      Volkswagen/Audi, including Porsche, Lamborghini, and Bentley

My chemical eng friend from volunteering, tells me it's the Ethanol that causes the black soot. I only use Valero 93 w/usual additives. Scotchbrite pad w/mild soap!

Quote Originally Posted by newvwdude777 View Post
      i was always thinking like you for a long time, but trying it with other cars, i got to like it and i don't think Costco fuel is bad at all. especially since they tout top-tier.

if i was you, i would check more on it and save some dough on the side. the only problem is the long lines if you don't go early!!

A: Yes. Both unleaded grades of gasoline sold at Costco have been certified to meet the TOP TIER™ performance standards. The owners' manuals provided by the following manufacturers recommend using TOP TIER™ gasoline to maintain optimal engine performance and efficiency.

Honda, including Acura
      Maybe winter summer gas mixture differences? Timing is about right.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Honda, including Acura
      Not that lucky in my area. My friend who owns a Mercedes used to get CEL almost every time he filled up at Costco, he finally got tired and switch from Costco gas to Shell, guess what, no more CEL. I bought my R for it's performance, therefore I am not going to take any chances but give it the best gas I possibly can .

While I do agree with you that Shell has the most consistent gas, I myself only fill up at Shell as well as Costco. They are both Top Tier and I haven't been able to notice a difference since i've bought the car (4900 miles). MPG is consistent as well. Costco gas is surprisingly good nowadays...

Honda, including Acura
      The Sunday morning lines are the worst! But the hotdog and pizza inside make up for it

Costco is on the TopTier gas website that so many of you gas fascists love to swear by.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

And you called the R a "high performance" car. Let's not get carried away, it's only 300hp...

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      LOL, Costco is on the TopTier gas website...

Damnit Sam's isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ATX_R View Post
      My chemical eng friend from volunteering, tells me it's the Ethanol that causes the black soot. I only use Valero 93 w/usual additives. Scotchbrite pad w/mild soap!
      I used non-oxygenated fuel for over a year consistently up until recently and I still get plenty to soot.
      Last edited by torlige; 05-21-2017 at 12:40 AM.
      They say there is no replacement for displacement, but to me its hard to ignore the seduction of forced induction!

It's gotta be fuel composition differences.

Here are my tips after a simple soap and water wash on May 7:

Here they are May 20 after a tank of gas of stop-and-go plus some highway and an additional quarter tank burned at the track. What looks like marks are my reflection in the chrome, they're that clean:

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Costco is on the TopTier gas website that so many of you gas fascists love to swear by.

And you called the R a "high performance" car. Let's not get carried away, it's only 300hp...

So is ARCO. Just like in school, you can pass a subject with a "C" or you can be at the top of your class. While Costco or some other generic brands barely make the Top Tier list, Shell and Chevron have up to seven times more additives than most of the companies on that list: http://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-f...line-faqs.html
      https://www.chevronwithtechron.com/products.aspx

Happy motoring boys

For the past year, off and on, I've been using Shell for a month then switch to Costco for a month and I see the same amount of Soot; which is very minimal.