New to me - a gray car
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New to me - a gray car

Picked this up last week. 997.1 C2S. I'd considered waiting until the 997.2S fell within the budget, but why wait...

Needs a wash, and I'm working on figuring out the best PASM config. I'll try to get some better shots when I clean it up (including scraping the gunk from the dealer stuff that was inside the windshield - ugh).

Nice! Congrats. I drove a base 997.1 carrera a few weeks ago and it was my first time driving a 911. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time!

I'm in no rush, so I do plan on waiting until I can get a 997.2 C2S within my budget, but I'll definitely have one of these one day. How many miles on it? Did you get a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by 300_munkeys View Post
      Nice! Congrats. I drove a base 997.1 carrera a few weeks ago and it was my first time driving a 911. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time!

I'm in no rush, so I do plan on waiting until I can get a 997.2 C2S within my budget, but I'll definitely have one of these one day. How many miles on it? Did you get a good deal?
      Thanks. It has just under 51K miles on it, and I negotiated it down to just over $40K. The dealer I purchased it from did a PPI before I bought it, and receipts show they put about $2K into it (starter replacement etc.). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nice! It will be your daily driver? Sold your GTI?

What's it like to drive compared to your previous cars?
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PhilHVW View Post
      Nice! It will be your daily driver? Sold your GTI?
      Thanks. Won't be the daily driver - I'm putting about 18K miles a year on the GTI with my commute etc. so the 997 will be for trips to the coast, C&C's etc. I'm also hoping that the 997 is approaching the bottom of it's depreciation curve, so I don't want it to get too beaten up (TFL-approved commentary there ).

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Thanks. It has just under 51K miles on it, and I negotiated it down to just over $40K. The dealer I purchased it from did a PPI before I bought it, and receipts show they put about $2K into it (starter replacement etc.). Let me know if you have any other questions.
      Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I'm sure you'll love it. My impression of the 911 was "This car is all the different little things I love from driving various cars put together in one package." Something special for sure.

damn that's awesome
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      What's it like to drive compared to your previous cars?
      The comparison between the FWD/front engine GTI and RWD/rear engine 997 is interesting. From a handling perspective, the 997 front end honestly seemed a bit 'floaty' when I first took it out last night, making me wonder if tire pressures were off. However, putting it into sport mode with PASM in normal mode corrected that. I'm taking it easy right now and still getting a feel for it - boring stuff like getting the seat in the right position etc.

From the power perspective, it pulls like a train. Driving around on the 45MPH mountain roads yesterday it felt like it was really being held back. I've had cars with over 300bhp in the past, but the power and light weight combo makes this incredibly responsive to the right pedal. So while the GTI is a great car, this is as you would expect at another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      damn that's awesome
      Cheers. I'm fully expect it to get better as I get more comfortable with it - right now I'm in 'don't kill yourself' mode Feel free to shoot may any questions that come to mind if you are interested in picking one up.

Congrats. My brother leased an '07 997s back when it was new. He could have bought it for $42k after the lease and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it myself.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Blog Entries
      Nice purchase! I drove a similar car several years ago. They are very nice cars, that if you speak to you, it's hard to go wrong! What options does the car have? Were you looking for a 997S for a long time before you found this one?

Picked this up last week. 997.1 C2S. I'd considered waiting until the 997.2S fell within the budget, but why wait...

Needs a wash, and I'm working on figuring out the best PASM config. I'll try to get some better shots when I clean it up (including scraping the gunk from the dealer stuff that was inside the windshield - ugh).

From a handling perspective, the 997 front end honestly seemed a bit 'floaty' when I first took it out last night, making me wonder if tire pressures were off. However, putting it into sport mode with PASM in normal mode corrected that. .
      You'll probably find that this feeling is connected to throttle application. My 996 C2 was very "chatty" and I could feel grip coming and going as I rolled on and off the throttle in corners. Disconcerting at first but fun later. I was expecting something similar in the 986 but it must be a 911-ism.

Beautiful car!

Quote Originally Posted by 16volt
      The 930 is car equivalent of that guy who says "hold my beer, watch this"

Cheers. I'm fully expect it to get better as I get more comfortable with it - right now I'm in 'don't kill yourself' mode Feel free to shoot may any questions that come to mind if you are interested in picking one up.
      lol that's far out of my price range, far far far
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Are you planning in wrapping it or doing a protective coating?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

That certainly is a very nice "gray" car. :p Great title. What year is it?
      Sal Collaziano
      Genesis | Stinger | Buick

That is a handsome automobile. I've just started getting in to Porsches and I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your ride!

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Nice car to get in gray

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      That is a handsome automobile. I've just started getting in to Porsches and I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about.

Chris
      I've never been a Porsche fan myself. But every once in a while I see one I want. This is one of those times...
      Sal Collaziano

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Nice purchase! I drove a similar car several years ago. They are very nice cars, that if you speak to you, it's hard to go wrong! What options does the car have? Were you looking for a 997S for a long time before you found this one?
      According to the stack of paperwork that came with the car it has PASM, the Seal Gray Metallic paint option, power seats, heated seats, some button called 'Sport' (not 100% sure what that does yet), the leather interior option, and nav. There are about 30 buttons on the dash I still need to hit to see what they do It also looks like one of the previous owners installed H&R lowering springs.

I drove the GTI again this morning, and with no doubt the 997 is a more involving experience - better weighted handling, next to no body lean, and that constant flat 6 noise from behind your head...
      Last edited by SLVRon; 05-20-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Congratulations on the fantastic buy! I think the 997 may well be the ultimate expression of the 911. Enjoy it, hang on to it, and put lots of miles on it. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
      That certainly is a very nice "gray" car. :p Great title. What year is it?
      Quote Originally Posted by Nateblizzy View Post
      Nice car to get in gray
      Thanks guys. After some looking around I decided that this was the only color I was interested in. It seems to age better than other bolder colors. It's a 2006.

Thanks guys. After some looking around I decided that this was the only color I was interested in. It seems to age better than other bolder colors. It's a 2006.
      2006, huh? Beautiful car. And that grey is going to stay clean during those times where it's just not possible to be very clean - like rain while you're out. Enjoy it. You have me wanting one now...
      Sal Collaziano

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post

Chris
      All you guys on here have been an inspiration, so it's good to join the club.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast