New to me - a gray car - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      P.S. I doubt anyone would complain if you posted more pictures...
      Sal Collaziano
      Genesis | Stinger | Buick

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Are you planning in wrapping it or doing a protective coating?
      You know, it may have had a limited wrap applied already. I can see something on the front of the rear wheel arches and I'm still going through the stack of receipts that came with the car to figure out what's already been done to it. It does have a few nicks in the paint here and there, so I'd want to get those taken care of before any further protective steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
      P.S. I doubt anyone would complain if you posted more pictures...
      Certainly the plan. I'm in the process of figuring out the where/when/how right now

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Congrats. My brother leased an '07 997s back when it was new. He could have bought it for $42k after the lease and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it myself.
      Life, as they say, is sometimes too short to put sh*t off

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Congrats!!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Congrats!!
      Well, parking 'outside' Canepa at the first event of the year was a pain, so I had no choice See you there next month, with maybe a drive up into the hills after.

And just in time for the pre-reunion @ LS

Well bought!
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by johntesi View Post
      Congratulations on the fantastic buy! I think the 997 may well be the ultimate expression of the 911. Enjoy it, hang on to it, and put lots of miles on it. Cheers!
      Cheers John - no epic road trips planned yet though

I was expecting a gray 10+ yr old econobox from the title . The GTI and 911 are a great combination!

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Well, parking 'outside' Canepa at the first event of the year was a pain, so I had no choice See you there next month, with maybe a drive up into the hills after.
      Don't threaten me with a good time.
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.

According to the stack of paperwork that came with the car it has PASM, the Seal Gray Metallic paint option, power seats, heated seats, some button called 'Sport' (not 100% sure what that does yet), the leather interior option, and nav. There are about 30 buttons on the dash I still need to hit to see what they do It also looks like one of the previous owners installed K&N springs.

I drove the GTI again this morning, and with no doubt the 997 is a more involving experience - better weighted handling, next to no body lean, and that constant flat 6 noise from behind your head...
      I *think* the Sport button depends on other options, but sharpens throttle response, steering weight, and might do something to the suspension since you have PASM. I think if you have the sport exhaust it opens that up as well.

Don't quote me on that! But it's a button I would be pressing often

Congrats OP. Sounds like a good deal. Rockin a Meteor Grey here.

From a handling perspective, the 997 front end honestly seemed a bit 'floaty' when I first took it out last night, making me wonder if tire pressures were off. However, putting it into sport mode with PASM in normal mode corrected that.

Adding some wider wheels and wider rubber will button it down even further, if you'd like that. My car came with RS Spyder wheels @ 8.5" wide front and 11" wide rear. Now wearing 9" wide front and 12" wide rear with more rubber than OE spec. Car feels completely glued unless on track.
      Iroz Motorsport Built Engine | 034 Motorsports Catless DP | APR RSC Catback | APR Stage 2+ Tune | 034 Motorsports RARB + Shifter Bracket Bushings

Nice pickup! I think this might be my long term plan eventually--GTI for daily duties and a hydro-steering 911 on the side for weekend fun.

Question for you--how is getting back into the GTI after driving the 911? I'm sure it's not the same driving experience but I hope the 911 doesn't make the GTI feel disappointing for the daily grind?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Nice pickup! I think this might be my long term plan eventually--GTI for daily duties and a hydro-steering 911 on the side for weekend fun.

Question for you--how is getting back into the GTI after driving the 911? I'm sure it's not the same driving experience but I hope the 911 doesn't make the GTI feel disappointing for the daily grind?
      Well, the GTI is certainly softer and quieter, and I feel like I'm sitting about a foot higher than in the 911. The one thing I do notice more is that that trick diff in the GTI is helping out - the Porsche is more of an involving experience and you get quick feedback if you mess up. With the 911 you better be paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      Congrats OP. Sounds like a good deal. Rockin a Meteor Grey here.
      Cool - lighter or darker than Seal gray?

Adding some wider wheels and wider rubber will button it down even further, if you'd like that. My car came with RS Spyder wheels @ 8.5" wide front and 11" wide rear. Now wearing 9" wide front and 12" wide rear with more rubber than OE spec. Car feels completely glued unless on track.
      Right now I'm the weak point in the whole setup , but I'll keep that in mind. I'm not a fan of the 'lobster' wheels, so I may change them out to some other OEM model at some point. Not anything that's urgent though.

And just in time for the pre-reunion @ LS

Well bought!
      Tent will have to go in the jump seats I guess...

FV-QR

I dig the lobster claws on 997s... nice ride!

I dig it! I rented a 997.1 C2S Cab with a manual last year on Turo when I was in San Francisco. I took it up to the Lick Observatory and through the mountains just west of San Jose. It was a damn blast to drive and it sounded glorious. So much power on demand (especially compared to my Miata). My only complaint is that it wasn't a hardtop and while it was super fun to drive around SF and the mountains with the top down, I think I would have enjoyed a hardtop more.

I wish you the best of luck on yours. After climbing up to the observatory, I got an engine compartment fan blower overheat warning and just as I was about to give it back the oil level light came on. Granted, this was a well abused Turo rental but keep up on the maintenance!
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

nice, congrats!!
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." -H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      I dig it! I rented a 997.1 C2S Cab with a manual last year on Turo when I was in San Francisco. I took it up to the Lick Observatory and through the mountains just west of San Jose. It was a damn blast to drive and it sounded glorious. So much power on demand (especially compared to my Miata). My only complaint is that it wasn't a hardtop and while it was super fun to drive around SF and the mountains with the top down, I think I would have enjoyed a hardtop more.

I wish you the best of luck on yours. After climbing up to the observatory, I got an engine compartment fan blower overheat warning and just as I was about to give it back the oil level light came on. Granted, this was a well abused Turo rental but keep up on the maintenance!
      Agreed on the maintenance side. What funds were left were put into a 'oh crap' fund

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingUnderpants View Post
      I dig the lobster claws on 997s... nice ride!
      Thanks. I'm not a big fan right now compared to some other OEM 997 wheels, but maybe they'll grow on me.

Nice car. I have 2 close friends with the same car, they feel a lot more "athletic" than my turbo, with a real nice steering feel and a good balance between power and the ability to make it turn and stop. My turbo looses a bit of the turn in feeling with the awd, and the added power sometimes takes your attention away from the great driving car it really is.

X...

Congrats OP! Please post moar pics!

I think the 991.2 will be in my sights at some point...probably far into the distant future, but let me dream!

As my grip on "AWD all the things!" loosens, I'm thinking a C2S might be better for steering/turn-in as others have alluded to. I've only ever driven a 996 Turbo and that was a long time ago, during a rain storm, not the best experience to take away lasting 911 driving experience from.... But, a 911 is beginning to replace my GT-R dreams, especially since they're not coming down in price....

Further contemplating my future garage, I'll have a truck, multiple tools for the job at hand, so I won't have to have a car assume all responsibilities in one. Opens up a whole new world, IMO.

Anyways, congrats!
      Current: 2013 Evo X (his), 2016 BMW 3GT (hers)
      Past: 2008 Si (sold), 2012 Mustang GT (sold), 2003 Evo VIII (sold), 2001 Golf 1.8T (sold)

Tent will have to go in the jump seats I guess...
      Both Drew and I will bring some rental cars that will have all the space in the world. I can actually spend the night this year! My mom gave me permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Both Drew and I will bring some rental cars that will have all the space in the world. I can actually spend the night this year! My mom gave me permission.
      Cool - are we cooking or getting take-out again I wonder...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast