I can't find the offense in this State Lawmaker's e-mail, can you? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Original sources:

Stephenson, G. R. (1967). Cultural acquisition of a specific learned response among rhesus monkeys. In: Starek, D., Schneider, R., and Kuhn, H. J. (eds.), Progress in Primatology, Stuttgart: Fischer, pp. 279-288.

Mentioned in: Galef, B. G., Jr. (1976). Social Transmission of Acquired Behavior: A Discussion of Tradition and Social Learning in Vertebrates. In: Rosenblatt, J.S., Hinde, R.A., Shaw, E. and Beer, C. (eds.), Advances in the study of behavior, Vol. 6, New York: Academic Press, pp. 87-88:

But today, everything is racist and offensive and what not.
      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      ...Maybe people should look at history as more than just the last few hundred years.
      Right!? Anything, anything to avoid thinking about the last few hundred years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
      ...But today, everything is racist and offensive and what not.
      OP and the author of that email set out to rustle jimmies. I'm just congratulating them on their success..

Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
      But today, everything is racist and offensive and what not.
      Today isn't really the problem. The problem is the not very distant past, and people's insistence that nobody should remember it. The guy meant to be offensive, and he offended people. Mission accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      The guy meant to be offensive, and he offended people. Mission accomplished.
      Specifically to the House and Senate.

Unfortunately the completely wrong group of people were offended.

He's probably disappointed.

But we are all just hairless apes.
      Maybe people should look at history as more than just the last few hundred years.
      So you want to introduce evolution into the discussion.

Alabama

The (R) that sent the E-mail

That would go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Is this about monkies?

Explain it to me as if I was born in Alabama.

I was.
      Can't. They're too busy singing to put anybody down.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Or some other government-sponsored illegal wiretapping app
      I find your answer vague and unconvincing.
      @mbull | instagram

deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Can't. They're too busy singing to put anybody down.
      Hey hey.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Did you **** him?

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      You are correct. In the right context.

I would say someone born after probably 1975 or so shouldn't take offense to that email. You likely wouldn't have the background context from a race standpoint to even "get" it.

However, I pulled up a page with the pictures of Alabama legislatures. I would say a few definitely qualify as being born well before 1975. Probably before 1965.

Given that, we get back to something a lot of people in the US don't get. People on both sides don't get this.......you don't get to decide when someone else is a "victim" or "insulted" or not.

You CAN feel it is ridiculous that they are insulted or victimized, but you don't get to decide whether they are or not.

So in this case, if any of those folks are younger than 40 years old, they stand a chance at not having any context to be offended by it.

Older than that, I'm sure at some point the social climate they experienced growing up included something questionable.
      I was born in 1978 in Wisconsin and the place where I vote was part of the Underground Railroad. Age is not something I feel disqualifies a person from being able to understand this situation. Your state's constitution provides rather interesting background to this story though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

People will get what they want out of this... he clearly was talking about the people in the house and senate doing the exact thing as the monkey story. Nothing more. Get butt hurt where it doesn't exist to make this story bigger than it needs to be

He even said he needed to be replaced, didn't he? That's the only thing I can gather from him saying everyone in the house and senate needs to be replaced from time to time. He didn't single anyone out so unless everyone in the house and senate are black and he's the only white person none of this has any purpose but to have a reason to be outraged over nothing.

I'd almost bet had this come from another state, it wouldn't even be talked about

Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      The fact that you put "innocent" in quotes means even you recognize the comparison. He's drawing a comparison between legislators (some of which are black) to monkeys.
      No, I believe the lack of innocence is the result of this legislator milking this for publicity, as someone else here speculated.
      "Upgrade with OEM Parts" -- Roger Moore and SVTWEB, you are missed

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Aficionado
      You can measure the power of a car, but you cannot measure the smile it puts on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris659 View Post
      People will get what they want out of this... he clearly was talking about the people in the house and senate doing the exact thing as the monkey story. Nothing more. Get butt hurt where it doesn't exist to make this story bigger than it needs to be

He even said he needed to be replaced, didn't he? That's the only thing I can gather from him saying everyone in the house and senate needs to be replaced from time to time. He didn't single anyone out so unless everyone in the house and senate are black and he's the only white person none of this has any purpose but to have a reason to be outraged over nothing.

I'd almost bet had this come from another state, it wouldn't even be talked about

I know I quoted your post but my post is not directed at your comment but the sentiment of the comment. "People," has not always been the common terminology used for all,"people." Calling a Black person a monkey has been a long running insult in this country, especially within the region of the country where the E-mail in question was sent. When you are a part of the majority that considered the minority chattel and treated them worse than farm animals, you can not be the determinant as to when the minority group can be upset by the perceived continued use of the "you are an animal," caveat being we are all animals, stereotype. I can't pretend to know the senders intent but it is almost an insult to ones sensibilities for one not to consider the possible racial overtones. What people will get, and what he "clearly" was talking about are two different things. I'm Black and read it and was not insulted at all. I then noticed Republican from Alabama, right or wrong, and considered the possible double entendres. I am not speaking for all Black people and I'm also not saying that all Alabama residents or Republicans are racist, but given both historical evidence and current racial climate, it's not completely out of the realm of possibilty for "racism" to be interpreted.

Only an idiot, or a monkey, would be upset by this email.
      You don't get to decide whether lab rats feel excluded!
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

"I am JIMP."

Choose your battles.

Unless this person has a history of racist comments or even questionable "could be taken either way" comments, then there is no reason to ASSUME the letter is racist.
      And this is where choosing your battles becomes a serious concern.
      Public outrage should be reserved for OBVIOUS instances of racism.
      If people actively look and purposely interpret things to be at some angle racist, then make a public outcry over their interpretation... you are essentially crying wolf when their is no wolf.
      Do this enough times and eventually the hunters think you are full of crap even when you really do need their help.

TL;DR

Public outcry over "willing to make huge assumptions with zero facts to back it up" racism makes people less likely to pay attention to your public outcry next time... when it may actually be obvious racism.

#StopTryingToGetMediaHypedWithLameCauses
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12