MBA - Who has one and what concentration?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

So pretty much the title.

I am currently enrolled in an MBA program, but I haven't declared a concentration yet, I'm still kind of up in the air about it.
      I have an undergrad BS in Accounting and have worked for 5 years.

I've thought about doing my concentration in Finance and potentially moving more into those type of positions, analysts, etc.

Is it worth it? Or should I just concentrate in accounting and then do CPA after.
      I am trying to see if I would still have the credits needed to take the CPA if I do a Finance concentration.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

I have a general MBA, no concentration. The concentrations offered weren't relevant to my role (I was working full time when I went back and had picked a career path already).

I don't know much about Finance roles. That said.....I think if you plan to work in the public tax sector then you are better off doing a CPA while if you plan to work in the corporate environment the MBA would serve you better.
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      We can not be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMoceri View Post

I am currently enrolled in an MBA program, but I haven't declared a concentration yet, I'm still kind of up in the air about it.

I've thought about doing my concentration in Finance and potentially moving more into those type of positions, analysts, etc.

Is it worth it? Or should I just concentrate in accounting and then do CPA after.
      I am trying to see if I would still have the credits needed to take the CPA if I do a Finance concentration.

I got my MBA but didn't do a concentration.

If you like accounting, then a CPA probably makes more sense. Take a look at the requirements for each and look for ways they overlap...you might luck out and be able to get some of the CPA work to count as credit towards your MBA, and then you'll have both.

It was worth getting in my experience. It did one thing very well... it got me those first interviews. A lot of jobs I applied to listed an MBA as a requirement or strongly preferred. I never would have gotten a call back if it weren't for that. It hasn't really done much for me since then, but it got me in the door; the rest was on me. I have a job I love, and the industry I'm in is because I got that first call back, and I got that call back because an MBA was on the requirements list.

Actually getting the degree sucked (gave up my late 20s to get it done in 2 years while working full time), but looking at the effects long term I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      I got my MBA but didn't do a concentration.

If you like accounting, then a CPA probably makes more sense. Take a look at the requirements for each and look for ways they overlap...you might luck out and be able to get some of the CPA work to count as credit towards your MBA, and then you'll have both.

It was worth getting in my experience. It did one thing very well... it got me those first interviews. A lot of jobs I applied to listed an MBA as a requirement or strongly preferred. I never would have gotten a call back if it weren't for that. It hasn't really done much for me since then, but it got me in the door; the rest was on me. I have a job I love, and the industry I'm in is because I got that first call back, and I got that call back because an MBA was on the requirements list.

Actually getting the degree sucked (gave up my late 20s to get it done in 2 years while working full time), but looking at the effects long term I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
      I'm in the same situation. It should take me about 3 years total to finish it up. I'd like to do it faster but my job now will only pay for 4 classes a year, and I'd like to minimize my out of pocket without taking out loans.

Idk I really don't like accounting that much. I feel like I just kind of played it safe when I graduated HS. That's why I was thinking of transitioning into more Finance and analysis roles.

I'm in the same situation. It should take me about 3 years total to finish it up. I'd like to do it faster but my job now will only pay for 4 classes a year, and I'd like to minimize my out of pocket without taking out loans.

Idk I really don't like accounting that much. I feel like I just kind of played it safe when I graduated HS. That's why I was thinking of transitioning into more Finance and analysis roles.
      I just wanted mine done. Work paid $5K/year. I was able to submit reimbursement requests in 3 different calendar years so I got $15K paid for...I paid the rest out of pocket as I went. I originally planned to take it slow and have work pay for it all over 4 years, but I realized I'd get a better job sooner if I finished faster. Sure enough, my first job after graduating more than reimbursed me for my out of pocket expense from the previous 2 years. By year 2 I was well ahead and on a new career path that I preferred over my old one.

I don't know that my situation was typical though. That's why when people ask if I think it's worth it I tell them all the same thing..."It doesn't get you a better job, but it helps get you the interview for the better job. Then it's on you."

Busted out my mba in 7 months, with a concentration in finance and international business. My employer gave me a year off to go at the books full time. Lots of pressure but well worth it. Spent the last quarter in Europe studying eu business. What I learned was priceless. Did my thesis on Monsanto's business model and really got a genuine understanding at who the puppet masters of our world are. Follow the money and you will see through a lot of the b.s. in this world.

tapped out with a thumb or two...

I passed 150 credits in this SP17 semester and am now eligible for the CPA which I will start later this year. Don't doubt your choice of undergraduate major. My academic peers are 4-7 years my junior and are landing much better jobs right after graduation than I was able to receive because my undergraduate degree was not accounting. I still have to take classes if I want the MBA designation. Even though I have an MBA worth of credits I do not have the designation, which is what matters in getting your foot in the door and for salary negotiation. CPA even more so.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 2014

I'm an accountant but not a cpa. I've worked a few finance roles and am now a controller but will say if you plan to go for your cpa an MBA may not be best.

I know a handful of younger cpas and they all got their masters in accountancy or something very similar.
      Last edited by FlashRedGLS1.8T; Today at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      I'm an accountant but not a cpa. I've worked a few finance roles and am now a controller but will say if you plan to go for your cpa an MBA may not be best.

I know a handful of younger cpas and they all got white masters in accountancy or something very similar.
      If I take enough accounting credits I'll be eligible as well. Even with an MBA. I wanted to see if a move to finance was worth it.

I have a lot of experience working in Finance/Tax departments, including one of the largest corp tax departments in the world. My question to you would be: "do you like accounting?" If yes i'd skip the MBA and focus on a Masters in Accountancy or Taxation and get your CPA. With an MBA, you're one fish in a very large pond. With the masters in Tax (and CPA) you've reduced the size of the pond dramatically. Yes, it's a narrow specialization but very much in demand and pays well. Big 4 consulting firms cannot get enough of that type of talent/experience.

Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      They didn't have a Data Science and Business Analytics program when I went but they do now. I would have picked that.

But it all comes down to what you want to do for work. If you want to do accounting I'd just drop the MBA, or do something managerial so you could maybe be prepped to manage an accounting group. But an MBA to continue as an accountant seems like a waste.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.