VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sportwagen 4motion or Alltrack?

6K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Dark Helmet 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm having trouble deciding between the two. AWD, and auto are my main requirements. I'm looking at the S trim level for both, so they are pretty much identical. I prefer the lower height and the cloth seats of the Sportwagen, but I like the looks and the DSG in the Alltrack. I would love it if you guys could weigh in on this. Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
On the online builder, it says the GSW has a 6-speed automatic transmission with tiptronic, and the Alltrack specifically states that it has a DSG. Is this just an issue with the site?

EDIT: Sweet! Chatted with an online rep, and did some more googling and turns out the GSW does have a DSG. Guess that settles it. I will be joining you guys shortly.

#3 ·
I was also weighing the options of both and for me the decision was made with the GSW with 4mo. I always end up lowering my vehicles anyways and the trim wasn't worth the extra $5,000 premium it would have been comparing like trim levels. The Alltrak does look cool though, and i always enjoy seeing a nicely done Allroad. :thumbup:

#4 ·
GSW

I feel well suited to chime in here. I test drove a MT Alltrack. I did not like the way it cornered, although the overall drive was nice. There was just too much pitch on twisty roads.

So I purchased a MT AWD GSW having only driven the Alltrack. The GSW handles MUCH better with almost no roll. I got the awd and maybe the torque vectoring to kick in the other day while trying a sporty corner. It was fun and you can tell the car was set up to be driven.

Besides the better handling, the GSW costs less. I paid $1K under invoice by going thru truecar. invoice was 24,100 including $820 destination. $23K is a whole lotta car for that kind of money. I'm pretty sure the Alltrack would be a couple grand more.

#14 ·
I was facing the same dilemma when I was car shopping in December. I wanted all-wheel drive but not the lifted ride height or body cladding. I also did not want cloth seats, since I have a dog who sheds like it's her job. I ended up buying a Sportwagen S 4Motion. The dealer installed real leather (not leatherette) seats and it still ended up costing $2000 less than a comparable Alltrack.

#15 ·
Why has DSG or any mention of dual clutch been removed from the VW website for both the 4 motion and the Alltrack?

When I test drove an Alltrack i thought the automatic felt worse than the normal automatic in the sportwagen. I ended up getting a SEL sportwagen as this will be my prius but I know wonder if i should've gotten the 4 motion just for the additional power holding.. (I have a Neuspeed power module and removed all the power limiters from the ECU and this thing spins the front tires like mad).

Ken 17 GSW SEL

#19 ·
Not sure if its the same in the US but just read on their Canadian site that when you choose 4 motion, the torque goes from 185 to 199 on the Sportwagen. The Alltrack is only available with the 199 tq option.

#21 ·
Some other differentiation:

The Alltrack's dash is a classy bronze; the SW is silver. Personal preference, but the bronze looks more upscale to me.
The Alltrack has carbon fiber inserts in the doors and passenger dash as compared to silver on the SW.
The Alltrack has the leatherette seats; the SW is cloth. To me, the leatherette is much more preferable, but again, personal preference.
The Alltrack's 17" wheels are better looking than the SW's 16". I'm going to quit saying "personal preference", as it all is.
The Alltrack has the GTI petals.
The Alltrack grill is a honeycombish mesh vs just a bar with black behind it.
The Alltrack comes with fog lights.
The Alltrack has the infamous black body cladding to protect against stone and debris chips

VW just added a lot of little items to the Alltrack that appealed to me.

#25 ·
Some other differentiation:

The Alltrack has the leatherette seats; the SW is cloth. To me, the leatherette is much more preferable, but again, personal preference.

The Alltrack has the GTI petals.

The Alltrack comes with fog lights

Sure appreciate the V-TEX and fog lites do help in the tule fog around here every winter................. (not sure about the flowers though..........)

#23 ·
It's only a GSW for, I'm coming from an 08 outback XT. The extra ride height on the Alltrak didn't appeal to me. The body cladding also turned me off, especially if it grays like the early Subaru cladding. Wheels are a wash,they'll be replaced anyway. The only thing I may miss that comes in the Alltrak and not GSW is the moon roof.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

#24 ·
It's only a GSW for, I'm coming from an 08 outback XT. The extra ride height on the Alltrak didn't appeal to me. The body cladding also turned me off, especially if it grays like the early Subaru cladding. Wheels are a wash,they'll be replaced anyway. The only thing I may miss that comes in the Alltrak and not GSW is the moon roof.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
In Canada our mid-trim (Comfortline) and top trim level (Highline) both have the panoramic roof as an option or standard.

#27 ·
Canadian GSW offers a lot of options and configurations people in the US want. How did we get so lucky? My GSW 4mo is a comfortline(middle) trim, with leatherette, pano sunroof, blind spot/rear collision warning, fog lights. The only thing I wasn't able to get that I wanted was the lighting package. In 2017 VW Canada made it exclusive to the Highline(which also gets the better seats - the stock seats have far less bolstering than my last GTI), I feel like I'm sliding around when I'm taking turns or on-ramps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Sportwagen 4motion or ALLTRACK?

Hey everyone.

New to this Forum, but not too new to car forums in general.

I currently drive a 2013 Abarth, ECU and CAI, eibach sportlines and upgraded koni yellow struts, front and rear stiffening agents, short shifter and new torque arm inserts, upgraded integrated head unit... to name a few upgrades. All self reviewed and installed with help that I got from a Forum just like this one. But now need help in another way.

Need a bigger car. Something that can lug around kids, a dog, and a hockey bag (im up in canada)

Like many of you, considering GSW vs ALLTRACK. Ive read alot of good things already. But just had a thought and am looking for some opinions.

I was thinking coilovers, which i dont know too much about. If i went with 4motion GSW, could I have it raised and keep the stock 17s with winter tires (for snowy roads) during the winter months, and in the summer lower it with lower profile tires to make for more fun? What would be the height difference between the MAX and MININUM heights? Does my thought process make any sense?

My problem lies that I actually like the look of the ALLTRACK better? I like the bronze interior, and silver cladding (reminds me of the GLA AMG x156). Would my coilover idea work with the ALLTRACK. I know it doesnt make sense, paying for a suspension that Im considering replacing. But is it possible?

Also, in Canada have the option of midline Comfortline which doesnt come with Bi-xenon and LED DRLs, which is the only thing im wanting from the Highline trim. Does anyone have a link for these Ed's lights from above? how much is the upgrade?

Thanks for all the great info on here. Hope you guys will get to see more of me.

Cheers,

~S

#36 ·
If you're in Canada, you can only get the Alltrack as a Highline equivalent, so cross shopping the comfortline GSW won't be quite the same.

We had the same debate, and ended up going for the Alltrack. I like the little styling touches, it's just different.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.