VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

T81 pin out

657 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN 
#1 ·
Hi,
It been awhile since I've been on on list, mostly due to my 2005 w12 being sidelined.

Long story: (or skip to short story)
I damaged 1 wire putting in a push button start and I let a german shop "repair" it. I provided michael's article, the disk based service manual, vagcom laptop and stressed the car had to be plugged in while it's being worked on. Pick the car up guy says "gee, we had to charge this car several times" errrrr. "The doors & locks were intermittent ", errrrrr. billed for 10 hrs, errrrr. I just wanted to get outta there.
They killed the new agm battery by not plugging in the car, i was pissy and it didnt sink in when he said "I had to move some wires" . Shortly thereafter i was gettting something like 90 errno's mostly saying improbable signal, Sig too high, sig too low and i let it st for several months.

Short story:
Since there have been many successfull push button installs
I figured the shop tapped into a can bus wire. I have a hard time following the schmatics for connector t81. So Does any one have a clear, color picture of the pinout for t81 so I can check to see if the shop moved any wires.
I will also remove the push button and see if that helps but want to ensure the connector hasn't been tampered with first.

Tia,
Pete in srq

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Pete,

What problems are you having with the wiring diagram? Is it the color codes?

I don't have my Bentley open right now, but there is a wiring color code. On some VW wiring diagrams the color code is on each page. The numbers on the wires indicate the size in mm. (0,35 = 0.35mm)

I don't think anybody made a color version. The Spockcat diagram is the closest but that only covers the start button. The wiring harness I got didn't have the same colors anyway.

My push start didn't work either. I double and triple checked the wiring. I tried a different start button. I must be one pin off somewhere or my car isn't wired like the diagrams. If I re-check it, I will get somebody else to tell me which start button wire is in which socket.

However, my messed up wiring only affected the start button. I did get KESSY faults, but the car opened and started and ran fine and I was able to clear the faults.

Good luck.

-Eric

Oh, you also need to use Spockat's directions because Michael didn't put the wiring diagram in his thread.

#4 ·
Pete,

What problems are you having with the wiring diagram? Is it the color codes?
*****no, the disk based schematics only show one system of the t81 connector at a time. i havent been able to locate all the different systems. the color codes arent the issue, i think having a color pic would be easiest to follow

I don't have my Bentley open right now, but there is a wiring color code. On some VW wiring diagrams the color code is on each page. The numbers on the wires indicate the size in mm. (0,35 = 0.35mm)

I don't think anybody made a color version. The Spockcat diagram is the closest but that only covers the start button. The wiring harness I got didn't have the same colors anyway.
Oh, you also need to use Spockat's directions because Michael didn't put the wiring diagram in his thread.
***** yes michael and spockcat did a great job.
do u know what systems use the t81? maybe i could find the other pieces if i know what to look for...

#5 · (Edited)
***** yes michael and spockcat did a great job.
do u know what systems use the t81? maybe i could find the other pieces if i know what to look for...

The KESSY has its own diagram. It's in the second diagram from the top (called the "Access/Start Control").

The Access/Start Control Module J518 (KESSY to us) is connected to various relays, fuses, and antennas; as well as the Battery Monitor, the ignition switch, Transmission Control Module, the Park Position Solenoid, Transmission Range Switch, the Start Button (when we install them), the steering column lock actuator, the control module with indicator in the instrument panel and the OBD.

Those are all connected to T81K. It is an 81 pin connector.

-Eric

Oh, I haven't seen color VW Current Flow (wiring) diagrams since the late '70s. I even have some original VW diagrams not published by Bentley and they are also black and white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.