Went in to buy an Abarth and ended up in this TCL darling...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Went in to buy an Abarth and ended up in this TCL darling...

Lia and I had grown tired of the GT which we had purchased for her to learn how to drive stick on a little over a year ago. Nothing wrong with the car, we were just getting bored, and both wanted something a little more involved that went beyond just sounding and looking good.

First we looked at Abarth's because they were cheap and looked to be hilarious fun. We drove a couple and really loved the character, looks, noise, and overall quirkiness. We just kept having to make excuses for lack of feature content, terrible resale, questionable reliability, and just overall chintzeeness of the interior. It feels every bit of a dated 10yr+ platform on the inside. I absolutely loved the exhaust noise though, and was really impressed by the ride quality on the oem FSD konis.

We then started to drift a little upmarket (per usual), and looked at Alfa 4Cs and used C7s (Z51 M6 cars). She absolutely loved driving both, and would have purchased either on spot, had I not brought her back into financial reality. At the end of the day I just didn't want to spend that kind of money on a daily driver. She did look damn good in em though

In the end we sat down to think about what would be reasonable price wise, and tick all the boxes for us. I had long been talking about getting a dedicated road course car to build my skillset, and I just can't afford to track the Viper as often as I want to. Also, I really cant afford to total or tear up the Viper, and its always in the back of my mind when I'm out on track. This causes me to have this glass ceiling and I never really push the car above 7/10ths because of it. I need something I can drive the balls off of and not worry about making (inevitable) mistakes in.

We knew what we had to do...

GT looks like a SUV next to it

Celebratory lunch

Soul red looks surprisingly close to Stryker Red

Since everybody loves the details, we hunted down a local left over 2016, and traded in the GT. We got 29k for trade in (2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ 13.5k miles).

2016 Soul Red Grand Touring MX-5
      $31,8xx MSRP -
      $25,750 sale price
      No sales tax due to trade
      ~$26k Out the door

I wont bore everyone with a Miata review, I think everyone knows what these cars are all about. I will say that after driving this car for a bit over a week, I understand why they have a cult like following and would recommend this to anyone with a passion for driving 10 times out of 10. I don't think I would have been able to appreciate a car like this when I was younger (I was definitely missing out) as it doesn't impress on paper. Now-days shifting over to cars with greater driver involvement, dynamics, and doing a lot more road racing, it opens my eyes up to appreciating why these are so special. They are so involved, so light, so fun to beat the piss out of on the street, you can't help but have a smile on every time you drive. I love the manual top that opens and closes in 5 seconds with one hand, its a silly thing, but a manual top is so convenient as it can be opened and closed at whim in any situation (rolling or stopped). The pedal layout should be the global standard for every manual vehicle on the planet. You can heel-toe this thing like a pro in the first 5 minutes of driving. The car weighs 2300ish lbs while being fully loaded (keyless entry/go, adaptive led headlights, rain sensing wipers, bose, leather, nav, etc) with a very well laid out and put together interior, unbelievable. It also rides way softer than I would have imagined for being a sports car (almost to its detriment).

This will blow away the guys who live their life one magazine article at a time, but I enjoy driving our 155hp MX-5 as much as I enjoy our 700hp Viper. Both polar opposites, both absolutely incredible.

What don't I like?

• I am probably at the limit of being comfortable in the car. I'm 6'0 and 180lbs, and I will say that the first day we had it, while riding passenger, I freaked out for a second and thought; Did I make a mistake? I felt really claustrophobic in it. After a few trips the feeling passed, and I now akin it more to a tight glove or body suit. I try to have the top down as much as I possibly can as well.
      • They dont make the model that I want. I want all the performance features of the club (brakes, lsd, suspension, aero kit, bbs, etc), but ALSO all the luxuries of the GT model. There needs to be a Club GT!!
      • Body roll. Discussed ad-naseum for the NDs, I've heard all the justifications for its existance, dont care. It lists like a spanish galleon in rough seas. I've learned to lean on it and trust the grip (its there), but I will be doing suspension soon.

All in all, we have another money pit, and I will keep this thread updated with the new build. Can't wait to put our touches on it.

Nice! What a way to make a thread. Nice pics, nice story, pics of the SO before anyone asks and some nice hot red cars. In for ongoing updates!

Congratulations! Love that color.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Fantastic car. I wish I could justify owning one.
      Matt
      2016 Honda Accord Sport CVT w/ HondaSensing, Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Blog Entries
      I would have never sold that Boxster you had---I prefer that to everything that's come after it. And if it was a PDK, I would have swapped it for a manual, perhaps in Spyder guise?

Lucky man. She likes to have a stick in her hand...

Approved Good all around Happy motoring!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein, April 4, 2017 View Post
      Well, I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      She likes to have a stick in her hand...
      Wait. So do I. What does it mean?

Hell yeah Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Wait. So do I. What does it mean?
      Obviously you need a Miata, then

Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Came in for Miata leaving satisfied

I drove a Grand Touring manual and it was really good as a fun street car. It did need an LSD though.
      Last edited by NoXenons; 06-02-2017 at 03:03 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

This thread delivers.

Never been a Miata fan, I can understand and appreciate what they are but its just not for me. However, this newest model certainly is a looker.

Now you need to head to a few different tracks and see how your times compare from the viper to the miata.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI - e46 330ci

Good choice. Eager to see how you take care of that nose up stance it has. They look like they have a hundred pounds of ballast in the trunk.

Hi Lia!!
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Obviously you need a Miata, then

Yo amor Manuel

This is awesome. I'm glad you didn't go with the Abarth, I think it would have quickly grown old. Are there any other ND owners on here?

Awesome sauce. Love this pick up. This is a great choice after the Mustang for what you want. If you'd gotten the Abarth, well,

Another TCL purchased thread and pictures of the SO. Please tell me this one has a ring on her left hand. If not, DUDE....do it. She's definitely a keeper.
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

Miata, check!
      Pics of nice looking lady friend, check!
      Andy and his love of ****s, check!

The trifecta of TCL thread!

I saw the thread title, and then saw the poster and I said "Naaaaaaaaah. He wouldn't buy an Abarth."

"Would he? Nah."

And I'm sorta glad you didn't because with your attention to detail, cash flow, and vision, I would've suddenly been many shades of jelly.

Good pick up on the Miata. She really suits it as well as it suits her/you.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Good point. I look like that when I lose my place in line at the grocery store. Can't imagine what would happen to my face if I lost $64M.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Andy and his love of ****s, check!
      Wait Wait Wait. When did this happen?

Nice! Always the answer. the ND is really growing on me and I'll be curious to see what you guys end up doing with it suspension-wise. I agree that out of the box they have waaaay too much roll, but once you take care of that it should be a blast.

Also that's a great deal too!

What was your take on the Alfa 4C? That's a car I still think about trading in for.

Congrats on the miata - it is always the answer!

Good buy. Она тоже русская?

Nice! Any reason you didn't drive the Fiat 124 Spider?
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Love the choice! I'm obsessed with Miatas right now.

Two TCL wife pics in one day
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Two TCL wife pics in one day
      I know, right...
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast