Went in to buy an Abarth and ended up in this TCL darling... - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Nah, they reworked the suspension, but roly-poly nature has been a miata staple since the NA days. It's pretty integral to the car's character. It's also always been my least favorite part of the experience, but it's relatively easily remedied by the aftermarket.
      Like everything, there's give and take to roll control. Is the surface smooth? Stiff roll bars and springs are your friend. When the tarmac is broken up then you want more compliance so that the wheels can follow the irregularities more accurately. (You probably know that, though.)

One great thing about the Miata is that with a huge aftermarket you can tune to your heart's content.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Like everything, there's give and take to roll control. Is the surface smooth? Stiff roll bars and springs are your friend. When the tarmac is broken up then you want more compliance so that the wheels can follow the irregularities more accurately. (You probably know that, though.)

One great thing about the Miata is that with a huge aftermarket you can tune to your heart's content.
      Absolutely. It's also possible to engineer a sports car that can remain relatively flat through turns while still being compliant enough to soak up irregularities all while not having a punishing ride. Conversely there's a way to have a supple ride without bounding around like a 2CV. The amount of roll designed into the suspension of the MX-5/miata was done on purpose, to lend a sense of drama to lower speed handling and maneuvering. It was done independent of ride quality tuning. As someone that's used to roadsters with less compliance as well as lots less body roll, it's weird to me (sounds like OP as well). Different strokes and all that.

Absolutely. It's also possible to engineer a sports car that can remain relatively flat through turns while still being compliant enough to soak up irregularities all while not having a punishing ride. .
      That's what I have loved about my RX8.
      You can drive it somewhat aggressively on less than perfect roads without worrying about the car skipping around as the suspension bounces off bumps.
      It's amazing at that.

That being said- when talking about the entry level sports car market, there is a balance of cost/weight involved. The RX8 is anomaly imo as most sports/sporty cars in the lower cost spectrum do not strike a fine balance between ride quality and handling very well.
      Can you name another affordable sporty/sports car that does a better job than the MX-5?
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

AHHHH. SO and I went to drive this last week and she wanted it and I wanted it. Financial reality hardcore so I have to stick with my GT so this hurts the nads.

Great pickup! Soul Red is amazing when clean.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Awesome! I'd love to be the person buying your GT trade-in.

And...subscribed.
      '14 F-150 FX4
      '11 GTI

It's nice to see your girl is talented enough to use a stick shift Congratulations, you've got it made.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Hopefully your transmission doesn't grenade. I would have picked up a September 2016 build date 2017 model... Mazda has been good about replacing the transmissions though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Quote Originally Posted by NailsInOurBacks View Post
      What was your take on the Alfa 4C? That's a car I still think about trading in for.
      Absolutely amazing car, although very bare bones (feature wise), and VERY stiff ride. Loved the manual rack, so did the gf. I didn't want to peel off 50k though as I don't really know what the values will do, and I'd almost feel guilty with us daily driving and trashing that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Good buy. Она тоже русская?
      Польский!

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Nice! Any reason you didn't drive the Fiat 124 Spider?
      We find it hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubryaj View Post
      Same question since you were at the Fiat dealer...
      See above.

Quote Originally Posted by IgorRGTI View Post
      What happened to the Boxster?
      Traded in on the mustang so she could learn to drive stick. She's also, "always wanted a mustang" (women smh).

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      In for the inevitable pics of it getting a $4k prep/detailing/protection job.

Seriously though, nice choice.

Quote Originally Posted by badsmell View Post
      any reason why you chose the soft top versus hardtop?
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      The HT just recently came out. So I'm guessing dealers won't be willing to deal as much.
      This. I wanted a deal, which means I was looking for a leftover model that a dealer wanted off their floorplan.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
      Truly stunning image! It makes both cars look even better than they already do. Not sure what the deal was with terms like "terrible resale" and "financial reality" when OP owns a 750i and Viper and trades in a '16 GT. Nevertheless, grade trade down (or up, if you ask me). If I wasn't 6"3 the Miata would be my third car too.
      I can understand the 750, but I wouldn't toss the Viper in there. I made 10k on my first viper, and sold my 2nd viper for more than I paid after 20k miles and 3 years of ownership. My current Viper is already worth more than I paid. If you buy these cars smart you will at least retain what you have in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      congrats on the new car! I had an opportunity to drive the new miata about a year ago, and liked it quite a bit, if a bit under powered. I've had a "thing" for the new mustang, and am curious what you didn't like about it, other than boredom that made you trade it in so quickly.

Thanks,
      Danny
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      Awesome post. Could you please elaborate on your Mustang GTPP experience? I am somewhat on the fence to get one in the spring. Your comment something that just looks and sounds good is my fear (my former cars include a big turbo 94 Miata and current DD is a FiST). Also, did you consider the BRZ/FRS?
      We really liked the GT. I will say with the discounts (around 6k off sticker), you'd be hard pressed to buy a car that offers more for the money. Great power, comfort, tech, etc. She complained about the gas mileage, the cars dynamics (too heavy, body control was poor overall even on lowered suspension), and didn't enjoy seeing herself 20 times each way to work and back. My number 1 gripe with the car is the garbage MT82 transmission. Its trash, period. It synchonizes slowly, and always feels dainty (its hard to explain), and the shifter is vague and sloppy. It really lets down the wonderful coyote motor. Really wish the TR6060 out of the GT350 would make its way in, but I understand the economics of it. Overall the simple truth is that she was bored and wanted another car.

Quote Originally Posted by KGilman View Post
      I could have sworn I just read your buying a Mustang thread....the GT lasted what, about a year?
      14 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      I'm surprised you didn't consider a 6MT Boxster/Cayman...any reason why not?
      We already had one, trying something new.

Absolutely. It's also possible to engineer a sports car that can remain relatively flat through turns while still being compliant enough to soak up irregularities all while not having a punishing ride. Conversely there's a way to have a supple ride without bounding around like a 2CV. The amount of roll designed into the suspension of the MX-5/miata was done on purpose, to lend a sense of drama to lower speed handling and maneuvering. It was done independent of ride quality tuning. As someone that's used to roadsters with less compliance as well as lots less body roll, it's weird to me (sounds like OP as well). Different strokes and all that.
      This.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post
      Hopefully your transmission doesn't grenade. I would have picked up a September 2016 build date 2017 model... Mazda has been good about replacing the transmissions though.
      Wont have to worry about this as the car was totaled (presumably) yesterday. Some student didn't yield to lia (cross traffic) while pulling out of a mall. She t-boned him, bags deployed, looks like frame damage. The good thing is that no parties were injured, she gave me quite a scare. Couldn't really care less about the car, it'll be replaced. Just glad she wasn't hurt.

Car lasted 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
      Wont have to worry about this as the car was totaled (presumably) yesterday. Some student didn't yield to lia (cross traffic) while pulling out of a mall. She t-boned him, bags deployed, looks like frame damage. The good thing is that no parties were injured, she gave me quite a scare. Couldn't really care less about the car, it'll be replaced. Just glad she wasn't hurt.

Car lasted 7 days.
      Holy ****! I'm glad she's okay. Are y'all just gonna go with the exact same thing as a replacement?
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Wow!!

Glad she was ok. What a shame.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Damn man that sucks, glad she is ok... Are guys going to go with another Miata if this is totaled out?
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Whew! That's scary!

I'm glad she's okay. As much as I love the NA it wouldn't have held up nearly as well. Mazda has done an excellent job strengthening and stiffening the chassis even though it is so light. Their hard work just paid off for you guys.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Holy ****. I was wondering why this thread went silent for a day.

Congrats Sir, you will enjoy this car. I drove 3 different 2016/ 2017 ND's, loved it immensely. Then I remembered I have two small kids, but still have the itch for a weekend warrior, slash fun car. After spending a month test-driving a 2017 Mustang GT (manual) with track pack (wild card) , ND MX-5, then both of the twins ( Toyota 86 & BRZ ) I finally made the sensible choice, and went with the 2017 BRZ, base manual last week. To be honest, the twins get beat on about the power, but if I close my eyes, I can't tell a difference between the power and feel of the ND .VS the BRZ. If anything the BRZ is a little flatter in the turns, both have superb gear boxes ( ND & Twins).
      Last edited by Cutandthrust; 06-04-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutandthrust View Post
      Congrats Sir, you will enjoy this car.
      wellll.....

Sucks man, glad your girl is okay though. Go get another one!

Damn! That sucks but I'm glad to hear she is ok.

Glad she's ok. Everything is replaceable, except a cute chick that drives stick.

Wow, that was unexpected.

Thankfully you hadn't detailed it already...

Glad it's only the (replaceable) car that's hurt and not her.

Now you have a chance to pull this thread full circle and replace it with a 124 Spider Abarth

sorry to hear that the car was in an accident but thankfully everyone is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I'm glad she's okay. As much as I love the NA it wouldn't have held up nearly as well. Mazda has done an excellent job strengthening and stiffening the chassis even though it is so light. Their hard work just paid off for you guys.
      The 1st gen/NA Miata was designed for full frontal crashes like this one.
      Offset crashes, side crashes..those would be bad as the crash standards for all cars in 1989 were not there yet.
      I'd say a 1st gen/NA Miata fairs better in a full frontal crash than a typical 1990 subcompact car, even without a functioning airbag as most cars lacked airbags in 1990.

Op- I'm glad she is ok.
      Hopefully the kid has insurance....
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Glad to hear everyone was OK! Now for the morale of this thread. Does OP buy another Miata? This will be the telling tale of Miata IS everything you've ever wanted in a sports car or NOT really. And if NOT really, was any of your reasoning based on safety concerns?
      '17 GTI Sport | APR Stage 1 93 AKI HO | APR TCU DSG Tune | APR CF Intake

Glad everyone's alright.

PS my Dad totalled his NA on the way home from the dealership back in the 90's . Same scenario...someone pulled out in front of him. He broke his collarbone.
      2007 Passat Wagon 6MT Sport | 2006 Cummins Ram 6MT |
      2006 R53 JCW | 1993 B13 SE-R |
      insurance poor

I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      I saw the pics on IG. Glad to see she is alright, especially after going through all of her recent medical stuff! Will you get another Miata?

*wrong thread*
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast