Fly 3,000 miles, fix junk 1996 VW Golf that's sitting in a junkyard, drive it 3,000 miles home, within 5 days.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Fly 3,000 miles, fix junk 1996 VW Golf that's sitting in a junkyard, drive it 3,000 miles home, within 5 days.

Hello, my name is Jamie, and I'm going on a stupid 3,000 mile trip to buy a junk car, and then drive it 3,000 miles back, within 5 days.

A couple of months ago a 1996 VW Golf Harlequin blew up a weird corner of the interwebs, when it was spotted going into a central California junkyard. The person who had owned it since new had evidently donated it to a charity, who thought it was junk, and promptly sold it to the yard. Lots of people tried to buy it, but no luck. It went into the yard, got stripped and vandalized, and that was the end of it. Except I had called their corporate office as a member of the media, and I kept perusing it..

Then I went to Europe with a couple of US cars for the Worthersee GTI Treffen, and came back to a voicemail. The car was mine, I just had to pay, do paperwork, and get it out of there.

To pause on the Worthersee trip for a moment, here's a quick video from the opening stages of it, in case you're interested..:

So.. The Harlequin.

Here's photos of the car a few days after it went into the yard:

and here's the 'now' photos, that a non-car enthusiast friend took for me this week:

Battery cables cut out. All fluids removed, by drilling or draining. Seats, and lots of other parts are gone, not least the wheels. Back window smashed.

So.. my plan is to fly to San Francisco this Saturday. I will then fix the car on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, and then drive it back to Pennsylvania before Friday when I have a hard deadline to be here in the morning. Seems flawless.

I love documenting my projects on TCL / VWVortex, so i'm going to try and do so here. Otherwise, social media links are:

Instagram.com/xjamiexoe
      Facebook.com/therealJamieOrr
      https://www.youtube.com/user/british16v (at least until I have enough followers to change the channel name )

If anyone's in the Bay Area and wants to hang out, I'll be there this coming Sunday to work on the car. Here's the FB Event page with details: https://www.facebook.com/events/162554380950847/
      Last edited by the brit; 06-20-2017 at 01:45 PM.
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Road Kill, but with crayons.

You are a special one Jamie... god-speed and all that jazz
      /| OMGHAI |\

I'm in. This is awesome. Let me know if you need any help in the middle of the country.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

I'm in for this thread
      Wasting time on VWVortex since 2002

Subscribed!

Bummer that I was bored in the Bay area last weekend and would have enjoyed meeting up.

I love it!

cool to see you save it.

i went to the yard to check it out and thought there was no chance.

i heard lots of people tried to buy it with no luck, how did you end up getting it out of the yard in one piece?
      1+3+3=7

Oh, and here's some photos of the Harlequin that I completely restored last year here in PA, and then shipped to Europe. It got new floor pans, new paint, new wiring, interior, and finally a new head gasket just before we left. We drove it on the Nurburgring, through Paris, and all across Germany etc.

Nurburgring:

On brief display outside the Porsche museum:

| '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

IN!
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Saw this on the insta today, seems like a lot of work in short time! Can't wait to see the transformation .

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Road Kill, but with crayons.
      That's the best description I've heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      You are a special one Jamie... god-speed and all that jazz
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I'm in. This is awesome. Let me know if you need any help in the middle of the country.

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jreed1337 View Post
      cool to see you save it.

i went to the yard to check it out and thought there was no chance.

i heard lots of people tried to buy it with no luck, how did you end up getting it out of the yard in one piece?
      I called their corporate HQ immediately, as a member of the media, and kept going from there. It was a brick wall, until I got the right person, who was awesome. Sadly in the interim the car went downhill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post

I called their corporate HQ immediately, as a member of the media, and kept going from there. It was a brick wall, until I got the right person, who was awesome. Sadly in the interim the car went downhill fast.
      glad to hear it! best of luck to you.

i can donate some Blue DE seats to the cause if you want.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-From-1998-GTI
      1+3+3=7

In, this gonna be good

Best of luck.

I really like the subtle color match of the wheels on the restored one in europe.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI - e46 330ci

Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      Oh, and here's some photos of the Harlequin that I completely restored last year here in PA, and then shipped to Europe. It got new floor pans, new paint, new wiring, interior, and finally a new head gasket just before we left.
      I thought you were nuts, but then I saw this. Good luck.

Would you mind describing your plan of attack? Taking any parts with you? Got a line on some parts? Will you be doing the work in the yard?

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

I support this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jreed1337 View Post
      glad to hear it! best of luck to you.

i can donate some Blue DE seats to the cause if you want.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-From-1998-GTI
      Thanks. I'm hoping to find a car in the junkyard that I can get at least a drivers seat from, and just rock that home until I get a real set. There's also a tiny chance that the person who bought the correct set might be reachable still..

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Best of luck.

I really like the subtle color match of the wheels on the restored one in europe.
      Thanks! I used 16" BBS OEM wheels from Europe, as a subtle upgrade, with the added colors inside the faces. The work was done by Perfect Metal Finishing in Newark, NJ and they really nailed it on a tight deadline that I gave them

Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      I thought you were nuts, but then I saw this. Good luck.
      Probably still nuts..

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Would you mind describing your plan of attack? Taking any parts with you? Got a line on some parts? Will you be doing the work in the yard?

Chris
      Myself, and the interwebs, are scouring through the photos looking for all the parts that are missing/damaged. I have a parts car here at my shop, which I'm going to raid, and carry the parts on the plane with me, along with tools.

I've been trying to find a company with local outlets there that would be willing to supply consumable parts, such as oil, coolant, a battery, brake fluid, etc, but Advance Auto doesn't have stores there, and I have no contacts for PepBoys, Autozone, etc. Worst case, I'll hit a Walmart super center for most of that stuff. I'm also planning to carry a new oil pan, filter, etc on board the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

I approve
      call it potatography

I was at Martin's house last night and he mentioned that he was picking you up at the airport and helping you get this Harlequin going!!!!!!!!! I know he was on a NON-PLANNED situation with his TDI last week, so it's awesome he is lending a hand. Martin is a good guy.

GOOD LUCK on the trip back home, Jaime.
      ***ORIGINAL OWNER*** ...............1985 TOYOTA Corolla GT-S, Hatchback, Brilliant Silver, Zenki "Hachi Roku" TRUENO

Subbed, but damn that thing got rat f$%ked.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Subbed, but damn that thing got rat f$%ked.
      Fresh cars in a junkyard are really magnets for mistreatment.
      call it potatography

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Fresh cars in a junkyard are really magnets for mistreatment.
      Stick out like a sore thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast