Fly 3,000 miles, fix junk 1996 VW Golf that's sitting in a junkyard, drive it 3,000 miles home, within 5 days. - Page 15
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
      Thanks for the write up and vids, made for a nice read during a slow work day. Glad you made it back safely!

Congrats on making it home safe Jamie and thank you for taking us along on this adventure! Go get some well-deserved rest

This is one of those stories that makes me wish I had been born 5-10 years earlier. As a self proclaimed VW enthusiast there's so many of these old collectables that I just want to pick up and rescue. My hope is that one day after I've graduated (December) and started my career I'll be able to finance buying and restoring some of these priceless gems and giving them the respect they deserve. If I could ever have the opportunity to own a harlequin I wouldn't skip a beat jumping on the chance.

Jamie, I salute you in your efforts to do just a great thing for this car. If you end up restoring this car I believe it should stay with you. No other person deserves to live with this car after what you two went through

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 2750BMP20th; 06-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      171 miles to go. Candle is burning on both ends, little wax remains, but spirits are high.

My drone, with my friends GoPro, is still in the fields there somewhere it was windy, I was underskilled, both myself and the drone learned something that day. Now it's like the Mars Explorer quietly sitting out there alone.
      I'll see what I can do, check PM
      formerly "nico24vr6" since 2003. TCL regular lurker

I wasn't really making it very public, but the Jalopnik article mentioned it. My wife is having LASIK eye surgery on both eyes tomorrow morning and I want to be there to drive her, and look after her afterwards.
      Jamie, I've loved following the saga, and an thrilled that you saved a special car and made it home safely. Even my wife was interested in how you were progressing, and she's not a real car person.

I hope your wife is recovering and being well cared for!

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by The1Bill View Post
      That he hasn't posted here today is evidence to the fact he is taking good care of her.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

I hope the lasik goes well for his wife, as once I spoke to an ophthalmologist, with a very good reputation and asked if he would have the lasik procedure
      himself, he looked at me straight in the eye and said, "no", this was just 5 years ago. Hopefully she is having one eye done at a time giving some weeks between each individual eye. I know that if you have an astigmatism the procedure is not recommended.
      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-16-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Brilliant.

Thanks Jamie, from Virginia Beach.

I've shared your story with my 'car' friends in Ireland, France, Germany and Denmark.

We raise our collective glasses with the rest of the global toast: to the humble Rescue Harlequin, to the ventures that belong on a true bucket list, and to you sir!

PS Hahaa.. I keep asking myself, how is it possible that the AC on a rescue-dog of a car could work so well???
      Last edited by pcm84; 06-17-2017 at 06:44 AM.

I was at work in Fremont literally 30 minutes away from where you were doing this. I pulled parts out of that Newark Pick N'Pull for my Fox Sedan (When they still had some Foxes) and saw that thing. Glad to see you got it together and made it.

Glad you made it all the way.
      I have many a bone to pick with you, Sir, but I need to edit & condense it,
      mostly based on the the fact that this turned into 15 pages of epic awesomeness.

In a nutshell; If Anybody is coming out the do something like this (Central California, my a$$) reach out to the LOCALS first.

I'm happy some sort of contingent show'd up, but I didn't recognize any of them knuckleheads,

My name is TBerk.
      Gird yer loins for a much more swarthy reply to follow.

Good on Ya for making it home.

Just a very quick reply as I woke up late (after sleeping 15 hours total yesterday) and am running out to a car show.

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bill View Post
      Jamie, I've loved following the saga, and an thrilled that you saved a special car and made it home safely. Even my wife was interested in how you were progressing, and she's not a real car person.

Thank you, and to everyone else who asked about her. It was a massive success. Both eyes in go, and she was driving a car 7 hours later. The follow up appointment today showed 20/20 vision, changed from something like 21/50. In hindsight it was so simple that she would have been fine if anyone had taken her, but I'm so glad that I was back and could.

I had to wait a couple of hours during the procedure, and I was falling asleep, and falling off the waiting room seat. So I went to sleep in the car that we drove to the appointment. Which was of course the Harlequin, because my wife wanted to drive in it. My body was super unhappy having to sleep in it again
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      This, Barry's threads, "Crub" and, of course, the Gorlax. What else could you want?
      Honored and subbed for the rest of the build.

20/20 vision, changed from something like 21/50.
      Pretty sure you mean 20/150 And yes, it's an amazing change. My dad went from wearing trifocals for 5 decades, to nearly 20/20 after cataract lens replacement, and my sister went from not being able to recognize a face without contacts to only needing readers.

My body was super unhappy having to sleep in it again

Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
      Glad you made it all the way.
      I have many a bone to pick with you, Sir, ...
      <snip>
      Good on Ya for making it home.
      Aaaaah ferget it, Happy Happy, Joy Joy.

<mumble, mumble, rumble, grumble>

Fly 3,000 miles, fix junk 1996 VW Golf that's sitting in a junkyard, drive it 3,000 miles home, within 5 days.

I had a good Father's Day. I spent the day looking at this thread thanks to Tberk. He dragged my a$& out here to read this story from my scirocco corner.
      I had brushes of paths with Jamie in the past. I almost bought a blue fox from him. I believe is orange now. .

Anyhow, hi there peeps! I don't visit here much. Now back up Jamie. It doesn't surprise me much that he was able to pull this off. Dude is honestly a true enthusiast. He seems to see the glass half full. We need to be more like that when our cars are giving us fits. This was truly entertaining. Now if the Phillies had won then my cherry.... Ok I said enough. Ramble, ramble, ramble.

Thanks TBerk for the tip.

Thanks Jamie for the adventure. It was awesome to read about your crazy journey!! This thing is just full of win!!

Honestly, it may have been your good karma and papal intervention that interceded in your good fortune.

El T.
      Last edited by Neptuno; 06-19-2017 at 12:42 AM.
      Wanted:Cirrus gray PS fender for S2 (one can dream) 1) Check your stash 2)Let me know
      wanted: Vanagon carat or wolfburg springs (89-91)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      The engine does not need oil, it runs on awesomeness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      And coyotes are actually pretty cool to get along with if you don't mess with 'em.

That's pretty awesome! I had an MKIII Golf 2.0 and absolutely loved that car. Had it not gotten totaled, I probably would have done an VR6 conversion.

Glad to see a decent VW get saved from the crusher. At first I was rather befuddled by this venture since I never was a Harlequin fan (I thought they were just a gimmicky attempt at a special edition since underneath it was a fairly generic Golf 2.0 GL otherwise), but it is nice to see a vehicle get a new lease on life.

Since you replaced the rear hatch because of the broken window, are you going to just keep the one you have or are you still going to try and find one in the same color as the original hatch to keep it as authentic as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Glad to see a decent VW get saved from the crusher. At first I was rather befuddled by this venture since I never was a Harlequin fan (I thought they were just a gimmicky attempt at a special edition since underneath it was a fairly generic Golf 2.0 GL otherwise), but it is nice to see a vehicle get a new lease on life.

Since you replaced the rear hatch because of the broken window, are you going to just keep the one you have or are you still going to try and find one in the same color as the original hatch to keep it as authentic as possible?

I agree with that opinion of the harlequin, however what's interesting about it is that vehicle styling itself is so plain and non-descript that adding the
      harlequin pattern paint to it is certainly a contradiction in personalities. I like that.

I finally sat down and made Day 5's full video, on my phone like every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube
      Day 5 of 5. Our longest driving day, with 1,250 miles to complete in 24 hours. (Spoiler alert: we made it..!).

This is the final video of the five day challenge, but now that the car is back home, the work and fun continues.

Amazing and huge and extra special thanks to everyone who helped, hung out, donated parts, fuel, time, or in any other way supported me. Thanks to everyone in California, and the SacWater Club, for the help and fun and parts and an amazing first day. To Chas my co-pilot from NJ, to Oskar from Das Parts for the battery, to everyone in the Coolwater VW club for donating so much fuel (this club road trips hard too!), and to all my other dear friends around the world who also surprised me with gas money via the internet, and showed so much love.

Thanks also to everyone who followed along along, all around the world. To everyone who commented and messaged, and to VWVortex, Jalopnik, FlatOut, CarsGuide, Top Gear, Garáž, TStone, Performance VW, European Car, and everyone else who wrote about or shared the story so far. There is more to come.

We are lucky to have and be part of such an amazing car culture. Have fun with it.

-------------------------------------

Everything in the silly little series was filmed entirely on my iPhone 7, and edited using the Splice App on the same phone. Some still photos were taken on my Sony A77ii, and transferred to my phone.

To see more, please check out:

Instagram.com/xjamiexoe
      Facebook.com/therealJamieOrr
      www.orchideuro.com
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Just watched day 5 and some of your other videos.

I think you have firmly established yourself in the community of VW greats with this adventure!

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride on this.

Jamie thanks for taking the time to make and post the day 5 video of this Awesome adventure you and your friend went on to save and this Harlequin mk3 Golf

I'm looking to seeing this Golf in person someday

Safe travels and I'm looking forward to reading about your next Great car adventure
      Current :
      02 Bora SW 1.8T (AWP), 88 S2 16v (9A), 80 S1 Storm (EG), 78 S1 (PL 16V), 54 MG TF (XPAG)
      Past :
      04 Seat Leon (1.6 8v), 88 VW S2 16v, 80 VW Caddy (16V), 88 VW S2 16v, 80 Porsche 931 turbo S, 77 VW Rabbit, 56 VW Käfer : personal import from Germany (the 1 that I miss the most)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415