Fly 3,000 miles, fix junk 1996 VW Golf that's sitting in a junkyard, drive it 3,000 miles home, within 5 days. - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I'm in. This is awesome. Let me know if you need any help in the middle of the country.
      I'll put in an offer to assist if needed in Utah (work schedule permitting). I'll PM you my number, Jamie.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Do this! Excellent donor vehicle.

Chris
      I think faster than I can type. That's why 99% of my posts have a "last edited by.." at the bottom

But seriously, this thread has me searching for Harlequins!

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      But seriously, this thread has me searching for Harlequins!
      They are overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Not sure if CA's site shows *everything*, but on smogcheck.ca.gov there are no failed tests for plate #3VYS682.
      Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah I noticed this too. Last inspection was 6/3/14 where it passed. Then 10/11/16 vehicle serviced @ Paulo's auto garage @ 266,819mi.

If you need any reference photos for the resto just let me know since my car is also a green base 5-speed. I still have my Harlequin I bought new in August of 96. It currently has just over 52k miles on it and looks exactly how I brought it home almost 21 years ago. I haven't modified a thing on it.
      1967 Morris Mini Cooper, 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI, 1996 Volkswagen Golf Harlequin, 2002 Volkswagen GTI 337, 2008 Nissan Frontier NISMO

I'm thinking this is much more of a bring a trailer type job than a weekend thing.

Too bad it got stripped out.

Newark, CA... first time I've ever heard it called Central California.

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I'm thinking this is much more of a bring a trailer type job than a weekend thing.

Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      I'll put in an offer to assist if needed in Utah (work schedule permitting). I'll PM you my number, Jamie.
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Yeah I noticed this too. Last inspection was 6/3/14 where it passed. Then 10/11/16 vehicle serviced @ Paulo's auto garage @ 266,819mi.
      Where are you seeing all of this magicalness??

Quote Originally Posted by 3VWMAN View Post
      If you need any reference photos for the resto just let me know since my car is also a green base 5-speed. I still have my Harlequin I bought new in August of 96. It currently has just over 52k miles on it and looks exactly how I brought it home almost 21 years ago. I haven't modified a thing on it.
      Thinking about the condition of yours makes me want to cry, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post

Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      Where's the fun in that?
      If I fail to 'rebuild' it, it'll end up on a trailer. I hope not though!
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

If I can find my Benetton steering wheel from my Harlequin, you are welcome to it.

Good luck! In for future updates.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      Where are you seeing all of this magicalness??
      From this article on the said car:

http://www.sfgate.com/cars/myride/ar...in-4673506.php

If you drop that plate number into MyCarfax, you get said magic

I don't know how the yards operate out in CA but if you've ever been to the yards in PA, you'll notice that they drain all the fluids out in the quickest way possible before sending them out to be picked over. The quickest way possible, being they drill holes in everything. Gas tank, oil pan, transmission fluid pans on autos, slash power steering lines, slash coolant hoses, etc. Assuming they haven't done any of that, I'd be worried about the functionality of the brakes and if any brake lines were kinked when a forklift was moving the car around. They definitely would have cut the catalytic convertor out though, so you can count on the car not having an exhaust.

Honestly I would plan on just playing safe and renting a car and uhaul trailer as soon as you get there so you can enjoy some of the sights along the way without worrying about making it back for a deadline.

West middle?
      Coastal Center?
      North of SoCal?

I have no idea

This trip has already made me realise that I have no idea about the actual geography around there, even though I've heard the names 1000s of times in movies, TV, and the tech world. The only time I was in San Francisco was while working on tour, so I didn't have a car to explore with. Assuming that I can get this car fixed quickly (ha...!), so that I have some spare time, I would love to see the Golden Gate bridge, drive on Route 1, and do some other sightseeing such as visiting the Hewlett-Packard garage etc.
      Have you played Grand Theft Auto 5? Do you remember that out-in-the-boonies crappy area that Trevor lived in? That's a representation of Central California--the area east of I-5, which includes cities like Modesto, Fresno, and all those hot and dry places where people have fewer teeth.

Anything along the coast-ish area north of San Luis Obispo and south of Oregon is referred to as Northern California (look at a map and laugh at how the "North" section starts 1/3 of the way up ).

Depending on how much time you have, there's so much you can see and do in this area. Just take 92 across the bay (which is a cool bridge IMO), and that turns into a pretty sexy road that goes right out to the coast. Also, the entire mountainous region between 280 and 1 has plenty to see. Or you could just check out San Francisco

Side note, the HP garage is about 5 miles north of where I work, and the Apple garage is about 8 miles south of where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Newark, CA... first time I've ever heard it called Central California.
      If you look at a map, we're right in the center, so I can see how people would make that mistake. It's definitely something that makes you look like an outsider, like saying "Frisco"
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      I don't know how the yards operate out in CA but if you've ever been to the yards in PA, you'll notice that they drain all the fluids out in the quickest way possible before sending them out to be picked over. The quickest way possible, being they drill holes in everything. Gas tank, oil pan, transmission fluid pans on autos, slash power steering lines, slash coolant hoses, etc. Assuming they haven't done any of that, I'd be worried about the functionality of the brakes and if any brake lines were kinked when a forklift was moving the car around. They definitely would have cut the catalytic convertor out though, so you can count on the car not having an exhaust.

Honestly I would plan on just playing safe and renting a car and uhaul trailer as soon as you get there so you can enjoy some of the sights along the way without worrying about making it back for a deadline.
      I am prepared for the holes in the oil pan, gas tank, etc. Brake lines will be an unknown until I get there now, but I can handle them okay hopefully.

Your post did however make me think about the cat. So I called the yard. I ask generically about the cat removal, and the lady instantly asked if I had bought the 1996 VW.

The cats are cut out as soon as the car goes into the yard. D'oh.

So this presents an annoying problem. There is a O2 sensor after the cat, which is probably cut. There is a O2 sensor in front of the cat, and the flange from the downpipe. Which might be cut.

I have a donor car sitting here in PA, which I can try to pull the downpipe and cat and O2 sensors from, but there's always a risk that the exhaust manifold studs will break. I don't care on the donor but on the Harlequin it could be a huge problem.

I could try to find a cheap muffler shop near the junkyard who can weld in a 'test pipe' and put O2 bungs onto it. The rear O2 doesn't matter, but the front one does.

| '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

I could try to find a cheap muffler shop near the junkyard who can weld in a 'test pipe' and put O2 bungs onto it. The rear O2 doesn't matter, but the front one does.
      A shop in California might be very wary of doing this for an unfamiliar person. They might not even install a cheaper 49-state catalyst for you if you brought them a new one.
      call it potatography

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      A shop in California might be very wary of doing this for an unfamiliar person. They might not even install a cheaper 49-state catalyst for you if you brought them a new one.
      Yup, haha. I just called a local muffler / smog shop, and he said he won't touch doing a test pipe. Holy crap, everything I've heard about California seems to be true.

He did say that if I bring a cat with me, he'd do the two welds for $120.

Subscribed.
      Instagram - efrie004

He did say that if I bring a cat with me, he'd do the two welds for $120.
      If you can find an inexpensive 50-state (CARB labeled) catalyst, that's probably the way to go. Maybe you'd get away with a 49-state cat, but it seems chancy.
      call it potatography

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      If you can find an inexpensive 50-state (CARB labeled) catalyst, that's probably the way to go. Maybe you'd get away with a 49-state cat, but it seems chancy.
      I'm tempted to:

1. Pull the downpipe, cat, and O2 sensors off my donor car here and fly with them. I can bring a sawzall to cut to it to length, and use a slip joint to mount it to the rest of the exhaust.
      2. Buy that crappy flexible muffler repair pipe from PepBoys, with a few clamps, and just butcher some 'repair' together to get me to a) home or b) a friends house or shop who has a MIG welder.
      3. Drive with an open header to a 'lower income neighbourhood' and find a muffler shop that will work for beer and cash, and have them slam something together.

This is completely insane so I'm gonna put a big ol' SUBSCRIBE on this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mach700 View Post
      In the absence of Wars, people become lazy and sex slaves (not everybody).

This is the stuff I need more of in my life.

X...

Quote Originally Posted by O'doyle View Post
      This is the stuff I need more of in my life.

X...
      Really?

My guess is he doesn't make it past airport security

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Really?

My guess is he doesn't make it past airport security
      He will. Have faith dude.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast