I am making this post at the urging of my attorney - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Clearly the only sensible choice you could have made. Approved.

Quote Originally Posted by aleksl View Post
      Canada has interesting pricing/rates. Lots of 0% leases, including Fiesta ST, Focus ST, RS. However the car itself is over $50,000 before any discounts and only comes loaded.

Another example of crazy pricing up here is, currently you can walk into any Ram dealer and get 30-35% off 2017 1500 Rams. Most of that incentive comes from the Factory.
      Ahhh I see, thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.
      Previous Transportation: 03 Grand Am / 02 Tahoe LT / 09 Husqvarna SM610R / 05 Volvo S60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by toadham View Post
      Nice.

I've never drinked a monster.
      Me either. I tried a redbull once. Thanks pretty lady, for this terrible beverage. but no.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I approve of this thread.

*snickers* "sensible" my ass.... What is your tyre budget, young man?
      I am spending all the wedding money on tires. Don't tell my wife... or do, she'll laugh. Good thing we specified no toasters, only cash.

Canada has interesting pricing/rates. Lots of 0% leases, including Fiesta ST, Focus ST, RS. However the car itself is over $50,000 before any discounts and only comes loaded.

Another example of crazy pricing up here is, currently you can walk into any Ram dealer and get 30-35% off 2017 1500 Rams. Most of that incentive comes from the Factory.

Winding road in Saskatchewan?? Good luck with that
      Yes, Ford has lots of incentives on 2017 focus . One month a big cash deal, one month 0% leasing/financing. They don't advertise it, but any incentive on a normal focus also applies to RS. A month ago there was $3k in cash rebates from the factory, on 2017s. This month it's 0% leasing/financing.

Cars are still not super-easy to find if you want a non blue one.

There is at least one road with more than one corner, I've heard stories!. And if I drive west for 6 hours I can see mountains!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Winding road in Saskatchewan?? Good luck with that
      I found one, only 5 hour drive away! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_Highway_943

Cant pass up that sensible deal! I mean people have made worst decisions after getting hitched I feel!
      Quote Originally Posted by 04_GLI_ View Post
      Yeah still drove it home bout 60 miles. Didn't know it was a broken timming belt, drove fine just made a lil noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      I found one, only 5 hour drive away! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_Highway_943
      Preeetty sure it's unpaved. This car is bumpy enough on new pavement...

Which brings me to: Things which are compromised or otherwise kind of dumb!

• Canada only gets the car one way; loaded US specification. This means it has a sunroof, which cuts into headroom, which is bad because...
      • The seats are the same as found in the Focus ST. Some bright spot in product planning at Ford decided a powered driver's seat with very limited adjustment was more important to include than manual height adjustment for the passenger seat.
        So the driver's seat has power adjustable recline, forward/backwards distance, and height. The height also changes the seat bottom angle to a small degree, but seat bottom angle is not adjustable. Height is very limited in range, as the starting height is quite high. I'll get used to it, but it's just one of those "WHY?!" things.
        The passenger seat is manually adjusted, and only for recline and fore/aft movement. In other markets it has height adjustment as well. I am tempted to find out how blindingly expensive an adjustable seat base might be.
        Without a silly amount of recline(for me), I am very close to the headliner. Thanks, sunroof!
        Fortunately my wife is short and will not notice this. Otherwise, the seats are snug, but very comfortable.
      • NA gets less-powerful-than-RoW HID headlights because anything under a certain wattage doesn't need washers(or so I've heard). At least they have an automatic setting.
      • there are no mudflaps/splashguards available from factory for the RS(or ST), and the tires stick out a little. This makes for very dirty doors and lots of noise from road dirt hitting the side of the car. i am investigating aftermarket options, but a moulded factory part would be nice.
      • Thanks to Ford's decision to go with a 19" wheel, the tires are a silly, uncommon size. Had Ford specified an 18" wheel, and half an inch wider, some more common 18" sizes would have fit.
      • Also thanks mostly to these wheels, but also due to the the spring rates used, this car is buumpy. It is about the same as my sport-suspensioned former cooper S hardtop, but stiffer. The long wheelbase is what makes it slightly better than that car.
        But then people would probably complain it only has 18" wheels, or the suspension is too soft... At least that is a solvable problem. Apply money!
      • The fake engine noise through the speakers is pretty silly. Fortunately it can be unplugged. I did this inside of 30 minutes of picking up the car. People on the internet say it is too quiet without this, but I don't agree. It is actually quiet enough to hear conversation level sounds in the car now. Also, the engine/exhaust is loud enough when it needs to be. Car is way more civilized that way than any car I've had.
      • It's got heated seats, heated steering wheel, but no heated washer jets or windshield. I am not sure offhand if the mirrors are heated, but I hope they are. Heated mirrors and washer jets are great things in a prairie winter. Heated windshield would be neat too.
      • it ought to have auto wipers.
      • For some reason Ford is very inconsistent in terms of what sort of information you can see on the central display and SYNC screens. It'd be neat to have "track apps" like on the current moostangs. Or even if they let one see individual tire pressures. There are third party solutions for this(OBDII reader + various apps), but it should just be available. It's there.

Overall the car is very impressive. Very European in terms of driving dynamics and the way it builds speed. Steady and FAST. Decent stereo. SYNC is a very usable system. Would be a very nice road trip car if the suspension was a bit more compliant and the range a bit better.
      If I end up buying it out at lease-end, and some of the things that bother me still bother me, I will probably address them
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by crashmtb View Post
      there are no mudflaps/splashguards available from factory for the RS(or ST), and the tires stick out a little. This makes for very dirty doors and lots of noise from road dirt hitting the side of the car. i am investigating aftermarket options, but a moulded factory part would be nice.

(RALLYPLAPS.JPG
      I am on the fence about those ones. They are a bit sticky-outy in appearance.

Eyeing these ones.

Eyeing these ones.
      I am trying to make up for my lack of energy drink consumption. They definitely put a stop to the tires throwing grit onto the side of the car.

I am trying to make up for my lack of energy drink consumption. They definitely put a stop to the tires throwing grit onto the side of the car.
      Hmm. you have a point there about the energy drink consumption...
      As an aside, we'll be in Mesa/PHX in August(), sans RS, but for reasons that are car lounge threadworthy.
      Last edited by crashmtb; 06-14-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      Still TFL probably disaproves. Still shocked any bank would do a zero interest lease, especially ford, on one of their hottest halo cars.
      Malpractice. Clearly the California Bar has lowered its standards.
      Touareg Hybrids are pretty nice, and the warm fuzzies I felt while driving the hybrid was actually the fingers of all of the German tax payers trying to reach into my wallet to get their money back. (Brendan@bwalkauto)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington P Funk View Post
      Simpleton? I think you've both got me mixed up with someone else.

Eyeing these ones.
      Uh, go to truck stop, find discarded flap, cut to fit, profit...

I love the Focus RS. I had some good wheel-time in one. I would have bought one, except for two things:

1. It has the same cramped interior and trunk space as a normal Focus.
      2. The pricing is a bad proposition in Canada.
      3. The exterior is goofy.

OK, that's three. But my argument is still valid in spite of the pancake on my head.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Leasing a car that's most likely going to appreciate or hold value? Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      I love the Focus RS. I had some good wheel-time in one. I would have bought one, except for two things:

1. It has the same cramped interior and trunk space as a normal Focus.
      2. The pricing is a bad proposition in Canada.
      3. The exterior is goofy.

OK, that's three. But my argument is still valid in spite of the pancake on my head.
      1. the trunk is luxurious compared to what I'm used to. I agree about general overall space, although my other cars have a veritable cathedral ceiling, and no ceiling at all. So there's that.
      2. The pricing is actually reasonable in Canada, considering what we get as standard.
      An identically-ordered US model is 58969.66CAD. Canadian price is $50,268. There are lots of rebates/incentives to be had on 2017s. 2016s were silly as in Canada each ford dealer was allocated one car. for 2017 they are building as many as are ordered.
      A fully optioned out WRX STI is only $1500 cheaper, and doesn't have as many nice gizmos. Also no hatchback. Only sedan!
      3. yes. But it suits it!

In conclusion your arguments are invalid and you should buy one.
      If you don't, WHO WILL??

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      The lease end value is quite reasonable, at a bit less than half the full price. I expect it will be worth more than that at the end of my term. Lease with buyout worked out to being $1 cheaper than buying outright at my price, and much cheaper than financing. 3 years of free money is alright.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Then just buy it out of the lease and use the lease as bridge financing . . .

What's wrong with that, particularly if the OP was able to obtain zero MF lease rates?

I applaud your sensible choice with such a sensible color too.

If you use my insurance company AAA. You can be even more sensible since they consider my ST a station wagon. Which has to be atleast 35 percent more sensible the a hatch back.
      Focus ST which stands for Suspension Technologies.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Then just buy it out of the lease and use the lease as bridge financing . . .

What's wrong with that, particularly if the OP was able to obtain zero MF lease rates?
      That's exactly what I'm doing, and possibly what mr. SomeGuy123 was getting at. I think. Unless he thinks it's a bad idea!! Can't see how though, as I am SAVING $1 over buying outright, for one thing. I mean, how can anyone argue against that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post
      I applaud your sensible choice with such a sensible color too.

If you use my insurance company AAA. You can be even more sensible since they consider my ST a station wagon. Which has to be atleast 35 percent more sensible the a hatch back.
      Ha, before I moved to Saskatchewan I managed to get my first clubman classified as a station wagon, since the insurance broker I was dealing with hadn't done one before. no such luck for subsequent minis, or this focus.
      However, its insurance is quite reasonable, at ~$1500 for the year with full coverage ($2millions liability, full replacement value coverage, $200 deductible, loss of use coverage, etc etc).
      Last edited by crashmtb; 06-14-2017 at 05:33 PM.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus...-mud-flap.html

Here's a thread about mud flaps but not energy drinks.

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Congrats! Nice upgrade for you.

Per the 0% leases, we have a ton of lease options in the US that are close. Last year when I was running a Nissan store the majority of the leases had a money factor of .00003, which worked out to 0.072%. Not zero, but cmon.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Congrats!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus...-mud-flap.html

Here's a thread about mud flaps but not energy drinks.
      I ordered the Rally Armour ones, because more coverage. Gravel parking lot at work has convinced me

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Congrats! Nice upgrade for you.

Per the 0% leases, we have a ton of lease options in the US that are close. Last year when I was running a Nissan store the majority of the leases had a money factor of .00003, which worked out to 0.072%. Not zero, but cmon.
      Thanks!
      Wow, that's pretty much zero, may as well just round down...that's what I'd be negotiating for.

Yesterday-well, more likely the evening previous, when leaving work, the driver's side front tire picked up a screw. This is the second time this has happened in the last two weeks. The same thing happened on my Mini, same tire, too..
      I found out yesterday morning when leaving for work. Low tire pressure! Thanks for not telling me which one, car. I know you know!
      Inside shoulder of the tire. Wasn't sure it was repairable, but had it looked at since I was picking up the winter wheels.

Turns out it was on the very edge of being unrepairable. It also turns out that I wouldn't have been able to get a new tire, at least not the same type. Pilot Super Sport is officially discontinued in favour of PilotSport 4S, and ferd dealer couldn't get one.

At least I got to look at the brakes while they're still shiny and new and not covered in brake dust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12