Chicago plans to redesign their police cruisers
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Chicago plans to redesign their police cruisers

I just hope the redesign doesn't drift too far from what they have now. With Chicago's more than familiar colors that practically everybody knows thanks to TV shows and movies like the Blues Brothers. I'd like to be able to spot a Chicago cop car a mile away, just in case I really need their assistance. Neighboring suburbs changed the designs on their cars to the point where they look totally different now when it comes to the colors used. Is that really necessary?

The Chicago Police Department, seeking a fresh look for its patrol vehicles, is asking officers for proposals to redesign the layout of the words, images and colors on the outside of its newer cars.

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson, in a memo to his 12,000 officers on Friday, said their design ideas will be considered by review panels in each of the 22 patrol districts. Each district will send one idea to a department-wide panel of police officers and residents from the communities.

The panel will select five finalists, and Johnson will pick the winning design.

"The iconic design of marked CPD vehicles has been a staple on the streets of Chicago since the 1970s," Johnson said in the memo. "As we make investments in our Department to be a better agency for officers and residents alike, it is also appropriate to update our vehicles to reflect the next era of CPD's history.

The new design will only be applied to 500 new police cars that are expected to hit the streets in the next few months, police spokesman Frank Giancamilli said. The vehicles now being used will keep the current design.

Giancamilli said redesigns on squad cars are "a fairly common practice" as police departments get newer vehicles. In the late 1990s to early 2000s, for example, the New York City Police Department applied a new design to their squad cars when receiving new vehicles, Giancamilli said.

Johnson's announcement for the redesign is the latest proposed change to a department that has grappled with some of the worst violence the city has seen in years, all while the department is in the midst of reforming some of its policies following an investigation by the U.S. Justice Department.

"Our core focus is to make Chicago safer, and as we continue to work hard to drive down violence, these new cars will be a welcome addition to your neighborhood beat patrols," Giancamilli said of the 500 new police vehicles.

Johnson wants to change the design layout on Chicago's squad cars to give the vehicles a fresh look at a time when his officers are working to improve its relationship with the communities, the department said.

The new design is required to include certain elements.

The base color of the vehicle must be white, and the dominant color of the design must be the "existing blue" on the current squad cars, Johnson said in the memo.

Also, every design must include the four-digit identification number on both sides of the front quarter panels and on the back of the vehicles, he said in the memo. The words "Chicago police" must be part of the design and applied to both sides of the vehicle, as should the phrase "We Serve and Protect."

Johnson also said the word "police" should be on the back of the vehicle, and the phrases "Emergencies dial 911" and "Non-Emergencies dial 311" should be part of the design. The department's Twitter handle, @Chicago_Police, also must be included.

Giancamilli said the department's new anonymous crime reporting website, cpdtip.com, will also likely be included in the redesign.

While the current design includes the logo of a star with the term "CAPS" emblazoned on it, a nod to the department's community policing program, it's unclear if the logo will be a requirement for the new design.

Officers will have until June 30 to submit their ideas. Giancamilli said the officer whose design is selected as the winning entry will earn "bragging rights," but no award.

The department hopes to start applying the winning design to new vehicles in late summer, Johnson said.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

While I'd like to see something resembling Italy's Polizia cars, I see them going back to their previous livery...

Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      While I'd like to see something resembling Italy's Polizia cars, I see them going back to their previous livery...

In the name of sanity, that would be way too cool for Chicago;
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

I think the color should be warm, and inviting for the justice involved individual's. We can not let a slight bump in the murder rate deter Raum.
      Focus ST which stands for Suspension Technologies.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post
      I think the color should be warm, and inviting for the justice involved individual's. We can not let a slight bump in the murder rate deter Raum.
      I'd rather stick with a color that the gangbaners know and fear.

4 BANGER 4 LIFE

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      New Look, Same Great Civil Rights Violations!
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Quote Originally Posted by chipstaagram View Post
      That's the abandoned Joliet prison that just made the news here recently when some 15 year old pyromaniac started a fire in it
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

They should do this one:

removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Maybe they'll go with something like this:

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Maybe they'll go with something like this:

Good idea, most cops do cruise around in SUV's here now. They really need that kind of protection though. I just heard about a 12 year old kid who started shooting at Chicago cops If Chicago wasn't so effing broke they'd just might consider something that does offer more protection.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Honestly Chicago is one of the few places where you feel like you're breathing in corruption.

Just repaint all the snowplows with "police" there's plenty of drama to plow all year round.

Did trump fix the inner cities yet?

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Sounds like someone on the city council has a special interest that could make them rich by coming up with this scheme and then getting this bid awarded to a friend, who will give a little kick back to the council member or members. It's the Chicago way.
      Haunted Car Stories MEGA THREAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperMonkeys
      I'm not entirely comfortable with this blood-soaked celery, but I'll eat it anyway. Of all the evidence I've eaten though, I like KNIFE.

It's just one more part of overhauling the police department in response to an investigation by the Justice Department. Everything in the department is up for review including "branding."

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
      Sounds like someone on the city council has a special interest that could make them rich by coming up with this scheme and then getting this bid awarded to a friend, who will give a little kick back to the council member or members. It's the Chicago way.
      That reminds me of all the corrupt alderman in this town who were more than happy to accept payoffs from red light camera companies Even with more noble people such a Rahm Emanuel and Chicago's top cop Eddie Johnson in charge, kickbacks can still occur in cases like this. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/w...116-story.html
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Get ready for the back lash. Here's what happened in Toronto.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...-cruisers.html

Toronto cop cruisers will remain white, red and blue, at least for now, after Police Chief Mark Saunders reversed a decision to replace them with new, much criticized, dark grey cruisers.

“There are people who like them. There are people who don’t like them. The concern that has been expressed has convinced me that further work is necessary,” Saunders said in a statement Thursday.

Less than 24 hours earlier, city council passed a motion asking the Toronto Police Services Board to retain the current colour scheme of its patrol cars “pending further review.”

The motion said the “stealth grey, militaristic colour scheme” sent the wrong message to the public, and the decision seemed prompted by a desire to choose a “cool looking” design over one “that encourages public respect and engagement.”

Safety experts have also been critical of the grey for its lack of visibility on city streets. In Europe, many law enforcement agencies paint their vehicles in lime yellow, which is “on the top of the visibility pyramid of paint colour,” Dr. Stephen S. Solomon, a retired New York optometrist and emergency services consultant, told the Star.

At its last meeting, the Toronto police civilian oversight board, which includes Mayor John Tory, asked Saunders to explain the rationale behind the colour switch because board members had not been consulted.

Saunders said at the time he didn’t think he needed board input to make the decision and that no “deep thought” went into it.

In September, the police service began replacing its familiar white Ford Crown Victoria vehicles with Ford Interceptors painted in a dark shade of grey. “Police” is printed in highly reflective decals on all four sides.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNS92JETTA View Post
      Get ready for the back lash. Here's what happened in Toronto.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...-cruisers.html
      Good point, the newly proposed Toronto cop cars with their stealth grey, lack of visibility, just don't stick out compared to Toronto's old cop cars. I'd just go with stealth grey if I was going undercover.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Honestly Chicago is one of the few places where you feel like you're breathing in corruption.
      Just repaint all the snowplows with "police" there's plenty of drama to plow all year round.
      Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      That reminds me of all the corrupt alderman in this town who were more than happy to accept payoffs from red light camera companies Even with more noble people such a Rahm Emanuel and Chicago's top cop Eddie Johnson in charge, kickbacks can still occur in cases like this. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/w...116-story.html
      Yuppppp. I have lived in Chicago for about 9 years now, and while I still love the city, and it is true there is NOTHING in the world like a Chicago summer, The city needs help and reform like no other.

Also to give you an idea about how broke Chicago, and the state is, this is there most recent revenue idea, a penny per ounce soda tax. While in theory it helps public health

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...425-story.html

Im not against taxes actually based on public health interventions, but Chicago's reeks of not having enough money because of years of mismanagement. I cant count how many projects I have seen come in double their budget. Additionally so many projects that literally every other city I have seen or lived in, take double or triple the amount of time.

On the car front, Im not against a new design, but is it really needed? Im sure this will end up being a study first that takes years and millions of dollars, the city doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Yuppppp. I have lived in Chicago for about 9 years now, and while I still love the city, and it is true there is NOTHING in the world like a Chicago summer, The city needs help and reform like no other.

Also to give you an idea about how broke Chicago, and the state is, this is there most recent revenue idea, a penny per ounce soda tax. While in theory it helps public health

Im not against taxes actually based on public health interventions, but Chicago's reeks of not having enough money because of years of mismanagement. I cant count how many projects I have seen come in double their budget. Additionally so many projects that literally every other city I have seen or lived in, take double or triple the amount of time.

On the car front, Im not against a new design, but is it really needed? Im sure this will end up being a study first that takes years and millions of dollars, the city doesn't have.
      That soda tax is ridiculous and one more good example of how screwed up Crook County is. On top of that Illinois is such a mess that the Powerball and Mega Millions lotto games are going to be discontinued in Illinois, since Governor Duct Tape has failed to pass a budget for Illinois in 3 years.

You could be correct too on how designing a new cop car for Chicago might wind up costing millions for something that was needless to begin with.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post

You realize that soda consumption is down alot, and people's weight is up. If anything compared to what those are consuming now soda was health food.
      Focus ST which stands for Suspension Technologies.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

My vote?

Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

WOW what a trigger happy maniac. He almost shoots his partner and who knows how many hit the houses behind him if not shooting someone inside of them.

him if not shooting someone inside of them.