The crash of the Zephyr. An uncontrolled physics experiment. - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Pictures are just as chilling as the first time you posted them. Happy you and wifey made it through.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      It is truly disappointing that we probably won't be seeing amazing build threads anymore.
      I'll always be building something. I may be documenting others work, but they'll be my projects.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I'll always be building something. I may be documenting others work, but they'll be my projects.
      That and your survival of the collision are just about the only good news in the thread.

Brendan is right. The photos are just as horrific now as they were two years ago. I'm not shocked any more, but when I try to grasp what you and your wife have gone through I'm just as perplexed, appalled and angry as I was at the time. I can only imgine the mix of emotions you two have about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Fortunately, our permanent injuries took some getting used to, but we've regained some degree of mobility. The crash has left my wife with a real fear of travel and and I lack the ability to walk any real distance as I lost 2/3 of the hamstring in my left leg. I'm strongly considering selling the collection as the cars aren't much fun if you don't use them. They've kinda become a burden.
      This is sad news, barry.
      But it is completely understandable.
      Hopefully will find other hobbies that better suit your frame of mind and body.

I'll be honest.. I'm a bit shocked that semis have cruise control.
      It makes sense in the name of fuel savings, but I had never even though about it before.
      It's one thing for a 2 ton passenger vehicle to be on cruise with a sleepy driver, but a semi?
      Seems.... questionable.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 06-14-2017 at 09:05 PM.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      This is sad news, barry.
      But it is completely understandable.
      Hopefully will find other hobbies that better suit your frame of mind and body.

I'll be honest.. I'm a bit shocked that semis have cruise control.
      It makes sense in the name of fuel savings, but I had never even though about it before.
      It's one thing for a 2 ton passenger vehicle to be on cruise with a sleepy driver, but a semi?
      Seems.... questionable.
      Even though it was an old truck it had a working "black box" that tracked all kind of information. That made things pretty simple to prove.

I'm still glad you're both here to tell the tale.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I never drive the '55 Ford, but it still needs some seatbelts.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

They need to suspend that reckless girl's driver license, at least for that category of vehicles.

There is a little thing called accountability....

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      They need to suspend that reckless girl's driver license, at least for that category of vehicles.

There is a little thing called accountability....
      I think the worst of the punishment will be the loss of the CDL for one year. I think there might be a $500 fine and 90 days in jail, or all three. We were allowed to offer victim impact statements to the sentencing judge.

WOW!! that sucks

Glad to hear you're (mostly) OK.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." -H. L. Mencken

I think the worst of the punishment will be the loss of the CDL for one year. I think there might be a $500 fine and 90 days in jail, or all three. We were allowed to offer victim impact statements to the sentencing judge.
      the 1 year suspension and $500 fine is a joke at best. i would admit that i would be the last person wishing someone's livelihood taken away - even for a year but it has already been recorded that this person cannot safely operate within the minimum requirement of her occupation. her mistake at work permanently impacted the lives of at least 2 people, at what point would it take for a 5/10 year or permanent suspension?

all that aside, glad you and the Mrs are still with us, hope the recoveries continues forward.
      vortex folding thread.................. ............. ............... ...... ............ ........... .... ... ......... ..... ........ .... ..... ... intention

So the truck driver fell asleep? Or was that never determined?
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Quote Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post
      the 1 year suspension and $500 fine is a joke at best. i would admit that i would be the last person wishing someone's livelihood taken away - even for a year but it has already been recorded that this person cannot safely operate within the minimum requirement of her occupation. her mistake at work permanently impacted the lives of at least 2 people, at what point would it take for a 5/10 year or permanent suspension?

all that aside, glad you and the Mrs are still with us, hope the recoveries continues forward.
      I don't know if Michigan is the same as SC, but if you have had your CDL suspended for longer than a month or lost it "for cause" as a punishment, you get to start over again at the bottom. You have to re-apply, you have to pass your checks, you have to do the tests, you have to undergo the whole process again.

It isn't like a normal auto suspension.

And staties here WILL give you a hard time if you have a CDL suspension in your history.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      I'm glad you both are okay Barry. It's going to take a helluva lot more than an out of control truck and a fiery crash to get the better of you.

Doubtful. I'm a die-hard heathen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

I was kinda hoping for a much different retirement.
      I have two friends whose fathers retired, got Harleys, and were killed shortly thereafter on their bikes. While my own retirement is a ways off, I've pretty much lost any affinity for any cars that aren't modern and built with all the latest safety systems. I've had plenty of fun in dangerous machines in my younger years, so that will probably suffice for me.

Barry, this is the second time I've heard about this accident and it still amazes me you both made it out alive. Here's wishing you both an absolute recovery, if not physically, then mentally.

What distracted the semi driver, phone?

I think the worst of the punishment will be the loss of the CDL for one year*. I think there might be a $500 fine and 90 days in jail, or all three. We were allowed to offer victim impact statements to the sentencing judge.
      *If the driver can even get insured.*
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

It's chilling to see that tire indentation in the left rear fender so clearly.

Congratulations on the settlement, even though it's a small concession considering that this even has caused you to lose interest in your true passion.

Have you thought about getting into boats more? No pedals to operate...
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Glad you are still with us today.

IIRC from the original thread that truck was unfit for the road.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

I saw you post in another thread the other day about a crash your wife and you where in but never thought Id be seeing this. Very glad both you and your wife are still here to tell the story. Cars can be replaced, people cant. No amount of money can replace good health, but I hope for you and your wife you can get back to some what of the life you used to live. Its a shame, but Like I said you both are still here to tell the story and hopefully others will listen and learn.
      DUB CULT l ESAD l S6 V8 6speed swapped B5 A4 l PVW Nov 2016
      #hardlinesbyswoops #swoopsbuilt IG mr__pq

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNS92JETTA View Post
      IIRC from the original thread that truck was unfit for the road.
      The trailer brakes checked out on the trailer, but that was supplied by a leasing company that properly maintained their equipment. Not so on the tractor. Of the 3 axles on the tractor only one passed inspection. The others were ridiculously out of adjustment. The driver has the obligation for inspecting the brakes. She should have refused to drive the truck.

Another tidbit of information that came out of the MSP investigation is that the tractor had a previous problem with a broken steering column that was welded rather than replaced. I'm told that's a clear violation of standards. It broke in the crash. They suspected it broke when she yanked the wheel at the last second.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      What distracted the semi driver, phone?
      Yep. She was on bluetooth talking to her brother. She told the investigator, "I looked up and saw a red car." We've traveled that route several times and there is a half-mile of visibility. There is no excuse.

What pissed me off and gave me the gumption to ask for big money was the driver's contention in the deposition that we sped up in her blind spot and cut her off, causing the crash. That made my blood boil.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      What pissed me off and gave me the gumption to ask for big money was the driver's contention in the deposition that we sped up in her blind spot and cut her off, causing the crash. That made my blood boil.
      Ah. It's the old "it's not my fault" excuse, but not so charming as it was with Han and Lando.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

[QUOTE=barry2952;105987009]

What pissed me off and gave me the gumption to ask for big money [QUOTE]

I would have done the same thing, go for the kill and get as much as possible. Was the truck equipped with a dash cam? That would put to rest her claim of you guys cutting her off. theres now way she would come out the winner if this went to trial just based off the statements of the condition of the truck and she even claiming she was distracted by her phone call, no excuse

Was the tractor owned by the driver or a company she worked for? Sorry if that was already mentioned
      DUB CULT l ESAD l S6 V8 6speed swapped B5 A4 l PVW Nov 2016
      #hardlinesbyswoops #swoopsbuilt IG mr__pq

Scary stuff. I was almost hit by an 18 wheeler yesterday on the way to work. I was in the left lane in a place where the right lane ends and merges over. I was alongside his front left wheel when he started merging over. I was forced into the oncoming lane, which fortunately was empty. I'm still not sure if it was intentional or if he was looking at his phone or something.

This thread should be a lesson to all of us here about safety standards in vehicles. This stuff is real.

Quote Originally Posted by megaDan View Post
      People are idiots. I hate everyone.

Happy you made it through, if you can call it that. Saddened that your life has changed so drastically because someone couldn't be bothered to monitor their 65mph torpedo.

Not trying to be political at all, but we really need to wise up and take safety into consideration when it comes to drivers instruction and licensing. More frequent, more difficult tests. Driving should be a privilege, not a right.
      This. I see people that drive big trucks complaining about being cut off by passenger vehicles. How about the two or three times a day that I have to slam on my brakes because I'm being cut off or they're merging into my lane without looking.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast