Paging Barry - 1955 356 Continental Cab
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paging Barry - 1955 356 Continental Cab

We all know Barry is enamored with all things bearing the Continental nameplate, so when I saw that Unobtanium listed their 356 Continental Cab on eBay, I figured it was thread worthy. Pretty rough car but being a rarity, it will do stupid money regardless.

Looks very nice, should be a straight forward resto.

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Why would he need two of them? The one he has is already perfect.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      It's rusted out, welded up poorly, I'm sure the longitudinals are gone and the engine is incorrect and incomplete. It's currently at $56,000 and the reserve isn't yet met.

Such is the way of things now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Why would he need two of them? The one he has is already perfect.
      He totally doesn't need it. Just brought to his attention because it's also a continental. Didn't expect him to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It's rusted out, welded up poorly, I'm sure the longitudinals are gone and the engine is incorrect and incomplete. It's currently at $56,000 and the reserve isn't yet met.

356s got stupid.
      There is an air cooled shop near my parents house that seems to specialize in 356s. When I was a kid, I'd bike past this shop and the lot would be full of 356s and old 911s. My impression is that virtually all of them were real based on reputation (note how he doesn't have any sign telling what this building is -- if you know, you know.)
      Like this, but fuller:
      https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5560...!7i3328!8i1664
      He's just leave cars out in the lot overnight.

Now all the cars are gone except when he has to make room in the shop (when open) because they're all worth so much goddamn money.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      356s got stupid.
      There is an air cooled shop near my parents house that seems to specialize in 356s. When I was a kid, I'd bike past this shop and the lot would be full of 356s and old 911s. My impression is that virtually all of them were real based on reputation (note how he doesn't have any sign telling what this building is -- if you know, you know.)
      Like this, but fuller:
      https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5560...!7i3328!8i1664
      He's just leave cars out in the lot overnight.

Now all the cars are gone except when he has to make room in the shop (when open) because they're all worth so much goddamn money.
      There was a place near me that had a huge parking lot of 356s and 911s under crude metal roofing covers. They are all gone now. Probably made a small fortune. Even in 2015, when streetview went through, there was just 1 car under a cover. I went to school across the street from 2009-2011 and I'll never forget drooling.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1662...7i13312!8i6656

Would love to have a Pre-A someday. Eventually this bubble will burst because no one will want old cars. But until then I'll enjoy my VWs

356 values shot up during the 2012-2014 Porsche bubble but has remained flat since then. While it's sad that a lot of enthusiasts have been priced out of the market, the cars are being treated better than ever. Rust buckets like the one in the OP are being restored and not scrapped because it's economically viable.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      There was a place near me that had a huge parking lot of 356s and 911s under crude metal roofing covers. They are all gone now. Probably made a small fortune. Even in 2015, when streetview went through, there was just 1 car under a cover. I went to school across the street from 2009-2011 and I'll never forget drooling.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1662...7i13312!8i6656

Would love to have a Pre-A someday. Eventually this bubble will burst because no one will want old cars. But until then I'll enjoy my VWs
      There was a shop like this where I live back in 2003-2004. They also had a plethora of air cooled VW's, I still have pics of their fenced in yard somewhere with 356's, 21 and 23 window buses in there. I used to drive by it on the way to high school. It was in a terrible part of town that has since been gentrified, I don't know exactly when all the cars disappeared but when I finished college they weren't there anymore. Shortly after the building got sold and a high end apartment building has been built in its place. I bet that dude was grinning ear to ear when all of his junk in a terrible part of town turned to gold.

I think we bought ours in 2007. I thought they were stupid money back then. However, it did fulfill a promise I kinda made on our first date. We were 16 and 17. She said she wanted a red XKE convertible (she specified a Type I) or a bathtub Porsche Cabrio. It only took 38 years to get it.

Funny story about our car. It was on e-Bay and it was in Hawaii. The seller was known to the head of the Porsche Club and he said the car was fairly represented. I really wanted to get the car for my wife. The bidding ran up pretty quickly. We had gone to walk the grounds of the Meadow Brook Concours and were watching the awards when we realized we needed to get home to bid on the car. I had bid a couple of times and was alway quickly outbid by "Hollywoodcarguy". About a half hour before the end of the auction the car was at $48,200 and didn't budge as it got close to the end, but it hadn't met reserve. I thing everyone thought he would relist with a lower reserve and no one bid. I decided I had to have the car and wanted it so badly that I bid $20,000 higher than the last bid and bid at the last 5 seconds. It took a few minutes for the sale to be closed, but we were blown away to find out we had won the bid for only $200 more than the last bid as the reserve was set at $48,400. That saved me $19,800. It turned out that "Hollywoodcarguy" was my buddy Scotty, owner of the Ruxton and the Steyr. He's never forgiven me. The banker got calls from all over the world asking him to reneg on the sale with offers willing to pay more than I was willing to, but the guy was a mensch and went through with the deal.

My best 356 story was back when I was 30, or so. About 1985 I owned a pretty successful lightbulb changing company and had a good banking relationship. My contact was my contemporary and brought bank deals to my attention. They had to foreclose on companies and he had to sell their assets. I had purchased the remnants of an equipment rental company and the remnants of an electrical contractor. He came to me with a deal I couldn't refuse. They had repossessed a VW/Porsche repair shop and had emptied the building leaving 10 356s in various shapes of decay dragged into an adjacent field. Apparently they belonged to the shop as he had titles for each one. He told me I could have all 10 cars for $1,000, but I only had 3 days to move them or they'd be dragged away and scrapped. Pressure much? I didn't have the space or resources to keep them so I flipped them for $2,000 to a local import bone yard. I thought I was the smartest mother****er in the world for doubling my money in a day.

When I was looking at values of the 356s in 2007 I think I injured myself kicking myself in the ass when I realized that there were 3 Speedsters, 2 Cabs and 5 pre-A Coupes, the then most-unloved of all 356s. You'd probably be looking at a $2,000,000 collection today.

Last edited by barry2952; 06-15-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Yeah, I don't need to hear that one again, Barry. (I laugh through the pain.)

She's at $62,500 at this point.

I love Karmann Notches and you can't even step into one for $20k now. People used to use them as donor cars lol. I dream of owning a Beutler or Denzel, but I don't even recall the last time a Beutler came up for sale. Someday I'll have a couple 356s, but it'll be a while.

I used to think I wanted an early 911.

A 356 looks more affordable by the day.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

I drove a 356 Cab and a 993 today. While I love 993s, I'd much rather be in a 356, preferably a coupe.

Last edited by audi80Quattro; 06-15-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Those pics of the underside are truly terrifying. But a hell of an opportunity regardless.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I used to think I wanted an early 911.

A 356 looks more affordable by the day.
      You're totally right and I get what you're saying from a purchase price vs. budget perspective but for fun, you could also look at it this way...If you buy any good 356 today and sell it in a couple years, you'll likely be able to sell it for what you paid or maybe a little bit more. With that considered you could technically own a 356 for free or even make money.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      You're totally right and I get what you're saying from a purchase price vs. budget perspective but for fun, you could also look at it this way...If you buy any good 356 today and sell it in a couple years, you'll likely be able to sell it for what you paid or maybe a little bit more. With that considered you could technically own a 356 for free or even make money.
      Totally correct. I think that would be the first time I've ever made money selling a car.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      My best 356 story was back when I was 30, or so. About 1985 I owned a pretty successful lightbulb changing company and had a good banking relationship. My contact was my contemporary and brought bank deals to my attention. They had to foreclose on companies and he had to sell their assets. I had purchased the remnants of an equipment rental company and the remnants of an electrical contractor. He came to me with a deal I couldn't refuse. They had repossessed a VW/Porsche repair shop and had emptied the building leaving 10 356s in various shapes of decay dragged into an adjacent field. Apparently they belonged to the shop as he had titles for each one. He told me I could have all 10 cars for $1,000, but I only had 3 days to move them or they'd be dragged away and scrapped. Pressure much? I didn't have the space or resources to keep them so I flipped them for $2,000 to a local import bone yard. I thought I was the smartest mother****er in the world for doubling my money in a day.

When I was looking at values of the 356s in 2007 I think I injured myself kicking myself in the ass when I realized that there were 3 Speedsters, 2 Cabs and 5 pre-A Coupes, the then most-unloved of all 356s. You'd probably be looking at a $2,000,000 collection today.
      Jeez. Stories like this make me both laugh and cry

My contribution to this thread is this '55 Continental:

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

It might help to understand why this car is so rare. In 1955 Max Hoffman, sole importer of Porsche products told Porsche that Americans didn't buy cars with numbers, they buy cars with names like Corvette, Skyliner, and the like. Since Max was their biggest customer he got them to build a stripped down roadster with no windows and barely a top or seats. He called it "Speedster". He also named the Coupe and Cabrio "Continental". They were badged with gold script on the front fenders. The name only applies to US spec exports that had speedometers in miles and had US spec headlights. The rest of the world got 356s.

About mid-'55 the Continental Division was starting production on the Continental Mark II and approached tiny Porsche with an, "I could crush you" demand that they cease using the name for 1956. They didn't want there to be any confusion between a 1700# 13-foot rear-engined 2-seater and a 5000# 5-passenger 18-foot luxo-barge. However, they went toe-to-toe with Bentley over the name, too. I've heard that they had planned on continuing the export and had bodies already stamped with holes for script. The remaining bodies were fitted with script that lined up with the holes, but read "European". Those are really rare. Once the sheet metal was used up the cars were called 356A. The Pre-A designation is not a formal one. It didn't come along until the 356A was produced.

From memory there were about 1,700 Speedsters and Coupes made, but only 250 Cabrios. I read today on the 356 Registry that only 6 are registered with them and only 69 cabrios were imported badged as Continentals. I believe there are about 12-15 left in the world. I think I've seen about 6 in person. The rest were crashed or eaten by Mother Nature. When the tire go flat on the true barn find they often have no bottom. That's bad for a unit body car.

On the subject of buying one now and getting a free ownership ride for a few years is probably true, but IMO, cars should never bought as investments. To me, that would ruin the experience. You could also take a huge fit with prices this high. Even a small percentage loss on a quarter-million dollar car is significant. It's not what I would hinge my retirement on. My father did that with artwork. He staked his retirement on its value and it sold for next to nothing 40 years later. I collect artwork, too, but never bought a single piece with increased value in mind. Like a car, you should buy art because you love it, not because of who made it.

The document below is a Kardex for our car. Porsche kept records on the cars that left the factory. They contained the colors and the serial numbers of the major components. The body panels were all stamped with the last 3 digits of the serial number. When things were changed, like engine or trans swaps the numbers were recorded. Very Teutonic. Our car is a numbers matching car, except for the hood, which was replaced in a front end collision. That makes it pretty unusual. The Kardex shows it was to be shipped to Fr. Hoffman, NY. It was fitted for US export with a speedometer in miles and US spec headlights. This shows it was fitted with the rare aluminum turbine wheel trims that are directional and do actually work to cool the brakes.

Our car wears the original color, "Turkish Rot", but does not have the original Schwarz leather interior or top. If I were to re-do the interior and top I'd likely go back to black. Even though they came with wide whites I might go blackwall, too.

They tell me my engine compartment is pretty original looking, for comparison.

Last edited by barry2952; 06-16-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      With that considered you could technically own a 356 for free or even make money.
      My whole problem is you actually have to SELL something to make money.

I'm way too sentimental when it comes to cars. I can justify it by saying "well it's worth more than what I paid for it" but what the **** does that matter if i'll never sell it?

I just look classic cars the same way as money sitting in an investment bank account. It goes up, it goes down. It's just there, parked money.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post

I can justify it by saying "well it's worth more than what I paid for it" but what the **** does that matter if i'll never sell it?
      I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I wish I could figure out how to get my wipers to park that way. My driver's blade parks on the peak of the bent windshield. It cleans 2 2" swaths.

Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      They tell me my engine compartment is pretty original looking, for comparison.

I think the coil should be black with a brown top (okay, bottom on your engine and mine) and the small coiled wires make me think you might've taken the photo when you had the Pertronix ignition module on it. Otherwise it looks pretty accurate to my half-trained eye.

When did they start using 3-piece cases? I was thinking it was a wee bit after your car was built, but apparently not.

the small coiled wires make me think you might've taken the photo when you had the Pertronix ignition module on it.
      That was the picture taken by the e-Bay seller so it was pre-Pertronix.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      My whole problem is you actually have to SELL something to make money.

I'm way too sentimental when it comes to cars. I can justify it by saying "well it's worth more than what I paid for it" but what the **** does that matter if i'll never sell it?

I just look classic cars the same way as money sitting in an investment bank account. It goes up, it goes down. It's just there, parked money.

This becomes an issue if you have varying tastes and limited resources. There are a lot of cars I'd like to try, but I can't afford to own them all at the same time.

If I want to buy a 911 I would have to sell my BMWs. Nice to not lose money, or maybe have made a few bucks to put toward the next one.

Ultimately this is different than the point you are making. I'm not buying something to make money, but because I like it, and want to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast