After 18 years on the Vortex, I finally buy a 'darling.' - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      This is definitely the smallest car I've owned but not by much. My 93 Civic HB was taller but only 4" longer and just an inch wider. Both cars are featherweights at around 2200 lbs.

Nice pickup!
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by HackAC View Post
      What would America be like today if everyone had to sit through a 2 hour TFL seminar?
      Lots of suicides

Well that is a hell of a straight NA at a really fair price. Bet there aren't many of those left.

Hope you have many great years with it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      I can literally eat off of that seat. She is immaculate.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      After 35 years of old man farts?

That's awesome... looks pretty clean from the pics... enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      This is definitely the smallest car I've owned but not by much. My 93 Civic HB was taller but only 4" longer and just an inch wider. Both cars are featherweights at around 2200 lbs.
      The lightest cars I've ever owned are;
      1974 Subaru DL 1895 pounds
      1986 Honda CRX Si 1978 pounds
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Nice car!

I'd pull that roll bar though if I were you, since you presumably will not be driving with a helmet on at all times. Steel tube+un-helmeted head+rear end collision=crushed skull.

Congrats OP!! Looking to pick up a clean '96 this weekend myself, can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Nice car!

I'd pull that roll bar though if I were you, since you presumably will not be driving with a helmet on at all times. Steel tube+un-helmeted head+rear end collision=crushed skull.
      Really? I see so many of them with bars on. I assumed it was safer

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      What kind of accident are you planning on having?

He's right. If your head contacts the bar, even with padding, it could not only crack your skull, but in a semi-serious accident it could make a rather large mess. As in "closed casket".

Bars and 4/5/6 point harnesses are fantastic if you have and are wearing the right gear, but they're not good for a street car and an un-helmeted head. 3-point belts are designed to let you "lie down" in the event of a rollover, whereas the harness will keep you upright, even if you are the highest part of the car. No bar/cage? No harness. Oh, you have a bar? Don't drive without a helmet.

The factory bars are located behind the seats and don't come up where your head can contact them. There may be some aftermarket bar for the NA Miata that is similar, so I'd look into that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

It's safer in a rollover on the track when you're wearing a helmet, but look at where the bar is, and how close it is to your noggin.

Yeah, I'd remove the bar as well, particularly since you and your son are so tall. In addition to not being track-legal (not triangulated) it has the potential for being dangerous in a rear-end accident, for reasons already mentioned. One of the reasons I got rid of my '94 is that I wanted to do more track driving, and I was not willing to put a roll bar in my street-driven Miata that was my 3-season DD, especially since my wife would also drive it.

Congratulations on the purchase. You'll find it is one of the least-stressful sports cars to own. As a third car, or even a primary car, they are hilariously cheap to own, there are almost no time bombs or any weak spots that require a significant amount of cash to correct. The sky is the limit with the amount of stuff you can do to them, you can find anything that will suit your fancy.

A word on the paint: red cars are single stage. That means with a light buff, it's easy to bring back on the metal parts. But, the plastic bits on the red cars (mirrors, front/rear bumpers, rear tail piece) are notorious for turning pink and never coming back after a certain point. Mine did, and it was a seasonal car all its life. Fortunately its new owners gave it a new paint job, can't wait to see what it looks like now. But, just something to consider.

I bought a red C package Miata in early spring of 2012, drove cross country in 2014(the long way) and sold to a vortexer last year. We also became really good real life friends.
      Good luck with it, you're going to love every minute of it

Thanks for the info on the bar guys, I had no idea. I'll look into pulling that out right away.

Yeah, that bar without bracing can be like a mouse trap in a rollover. In the meantime..get some padding and the concerns for a head injury in a rear end collision go down. It does add some rigidity in the meantime.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

I'm still in shock that the "CFO" gave me the go ahead, she's soooooo frugal. But I think she genuinely wants me to have something happy-fun after this winter. She's going to look hot in it as well. 😍
      Pics or GTFO

I still want an NA, but they are becoming so rare and expensive its amazing deals like yours still pop up.

That looks super nice.

Yes Sporin! Nice find for $3K! Hope you're feeling back to normal, and I'm sure driving a Miata will help!

Nice ride! Also, I'm glad you're not dead. Good to see you in good health once again.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      It's safer in a rollover on the track when you're wearing a helmet, but look at where the bar is, and how close it is to your noggin.
      The right seats will protect your head more. NA seats are notoriously short, and don't really have a "head rest" per se. NB2 seats are much taller, and offer some amount of protection from a bar. That's why a lot of Miata guys will look for NB2 seats to swap into their caged Miatas. I know I am right now in order to stay in E-Street...
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

...Then I thought... $3500 is good Miata Money.
      Car was $3500, but yes, I think it's a good deal. I'm sure others have found real gems for less but this was easily the nicest one within a couple of hours of me for the price.

Congrats OP!

Successful health behavior change is not to be taken lightly, you're right to celebrate!

Love the car, looks like an excellent used find. Next up RPF1, roll cage, Ohlins...
      Current: 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (his), 2016 BMW 3 Series GT (hers)
      Past: 2008 Honda Civic Si (sold), 2012 Mustang GT (sold), 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (sold), 2001 VW Golf 1.8T (sold)

Great story, GREAT CHOICE Congrats all around, esp re: your health; what a GOOD DAD & LUCKY SON
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein, April 4, 2017 View Post
      Well, I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      What kind of accident are you planning on having?

He's right. If your head contacts the bar, even with padding, it could not only crack your skull, but in a semi-serious accident it could make a rather large mess. As in "closed casket".

Bars and 4/5/6 point harnesses are fantastic if you have and are wearing the right gear, but they're not good for a street car and an un-helmeted head. 3-point belts are designed to let you "lie down" in the event of a rollover, whereas the harness will keep you upright, even if you are the highest part of the car. No bar/cage? No harness. Oh, you have a bar? Don't drive without a helmet.

The factory bars are located behind the seats and don't come up where your head can contact them. There may be some aftermarket bar for the NA Miata that is similar, so I'd look into that.
      Dual-durometer padding is available for street driving as well.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2397

Just ordered some really good wax to shine her up with next week.

Seller is bring it over tomorrow at 4. Unfortunately it will just sit in the garage all weekend because we'll be away. I'll register it Monday morning and hopefully we'll have some nice weather for driving. ☀️

Congrats!

I too just joined the 'darling' club... ish... I bought a 2006 since this car will end up being my fun daily, not just a weekend/sunshine thing. I thus needed a little more room, and in the NB I drove I was sitting on the seat AND 100% against the door panel, no arm beside body driving at all in that car for me.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...c1&oe=599C5DAB
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 06-16-2017 at 01:26 PM.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast