The Van Lounge: Chevrolet Express can be had with the 4 Cylinder Duramax (2.8L)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Van Lounge: Chevrolet Express can be had with the 4 Cylinder Duramax (2.8L)

I periodically search this van up, because it's been on sale for what seems like eons, and I have yet to see any news about an upcoming one. Talk about "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Anyway, pricing one out, I was pleased to find the 2.8 L Duramax found in the new Canyon available as an option for about $5k, but with GM credits of about the same, you practically get it for free. All in all it's about $40k. A similar Sprinter carries a $6000 premium, while a similar diesel Transit costs nearly the same. As an aside, I don't think the four cylinder Bluetec diesel is available for the Sprinter any longer

Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Whaaaaaaat???

That is a game changer for those crappy vans. They still drive like crap though but at least you can get parts for them anywhere and wont get 19L/100km anymore.

Is that piece of **** photoshopped on that construction site picture?
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

Hah! I guess that's all they have anymore since they sold Opel off. Smart move GM, smart move.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

At first I thought you might have mistaken the fullsize Express for the compact City Express, but lo and behold, you are correct.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      yes
      call it potatography

I didn't even know they still made this.
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Quote Originally Posted by Robski92 View Post
      Whaaaaaaat???

That is a game changer for those crappy vans. They still drive like crap though but at least you can get parts for them anywhere and wont get 19L/100km anymore.
      I'm renting one of these bad boys next week, it's nice to know what to expect

I'm thinking my chances of getting a diesel from the rental company is non-existent
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Strangely the 2.8L in the Express comes with an 8spd, however it uses a 6spd in the Colorado.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      I'm renting one of these bad boys next week, it's nice to know what to expect

I'm thinking my chances of getting a diesel from the rental company is non-existent
      I never minded driving those honestly, they felt far more stable than an Econoline.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

I've driven these vans since new back in ~03, to 500k KM, and I currently have one in my fleet at work, an 02 with 267KM... runs great, with almost no maintenance issues.

Ford Econolines on the other hand are horrible, triton engines suck, front end has to be rebuilt more often than a Dodge, rattly, etc...

These are actually pretty damn good vans, and I would LUST over a diesel version!

I had my mind set on a Sprinter for a replacement but if these are diesel I might have to take a hard look at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Hah! I guess that's all they have anymore since they sold Opel off. Smart move GM, smart move.
      Opel doesn't have any vans of its own, so North American GM couldn't have sourced Transit/Transit Connect type vehicles from them anyway.

Both Nissan and GM need competitive van options in NA, so they should team up to take on Ford, Mercedes, and Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by s-rocc View Post
      This.

Whenever I see them, they're beat to ****. The only new looking work vans I ever see are Sprinters and Transits.

With that said, they can't be THAT bad, right? Aren't they just a GMT800 truck with a van body?

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Opel doesn't have any vans of its own, so North American GM couldn't have sourced Transit/Transit Connect type vehicles from them anyway.

Both Nissan and GM need competitive van options in NA, so they should team up to take on Ford, Mercedes, and Ram.
      Unfortunately, Nissan is quite happy with the NV. It allows them to more fully utilize the Canton plant thus ensuring they can profit on sales of the Titan.

As for the Express/Savana, GM must be making money hand over fist on those. It's the same basic design dating back to 1995 and they hold almost 45% of the van market. If they had their own "Euro" style van elsewhere, they might consider building and selling it here. Since they don't, the Express will soldier on.
      Last edited by robr2; 06-16-2017 at 08:12 AM.

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by s-rocc View Post
      They sell well - people love them for the simple styling. Like the Econoline, they built a loyal following over the years.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

The cargo area of these is still cramped compared to any of the modern vans. I can stand up with my head ducked a smidge inside my low-roof ProMaster, and the high roof allows anyone to stand up inside, and the floor is lower for easier loading and unloading. Three-across seating up front ... can't do that with the doghouse engine compartment cover in the GM vans.

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Aren't they just a GMT800 truck with a van body?
      They are their own unique platform (gmt610 if you care)
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      Yes. The actual vans on construction sites are destroyed and have 8000K drop-in HID kits.

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      They are their own unique platform (gmt610 if you care)
      Interesting. I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      Strangely the 2.8L in the Express comes with an 8spd, however it uses a 6spd in the Colorado.
      Probably due the 4WD.

The 300/Charger with the 8 spd lost AWD an an option with the Hemi as the entire combination is too long for the car. (Yes, I know its not the same 8 spd but packaging is a b*tch sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      Probably due the 4WD.

The 300/Charger with the 8 spd lost AWD an an option with the Hemi as the entire combination is too long for the car. (Yes, I know its not the same 8 spd but packaging is a b*tch sometimes).
      Interesting. Everything I've read said they didn't continue with an AWD V8 combo because of lack of interest.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      I've only driven these as a cutaway with a box truck, but I thought they were OKish and better than the old Econoline. The E-series feels so unstable at highway speeds, its kind of scary.

The fact that these vans were better than their Chryco/Ford offerings back when don't mean much now. Sit behind the wheel of a 2017 Express and then get into a Transit. The Express just can't compare. I get why GM keeps it around but it is very evidently a vehicle from a different era. I drove a 2014 on a two week tour last year and couldn't believe how cramped the driver's area felt and how punishing the seats were.

I for work have a E250 currently, and have recently had a Transit for a week while brakes were being done.

Personally I prefer the GM vans, but I have never had a issue with my Ford vans in the 1/2 million miles I have put on them.

The Transit while better on the road does horrible when you enter basic dirt roads or unimproved construction sites. My tires are around 3 inches taller, plus wider, and I have almost 4 inches more ground clearance. While I was working on a cell site with another tech I had to pull him out twice where he got stuck, and I just rolled by the soft dirt patch.

These are work vans, and very few. I mean very very few people buy them for personal use. If we get back to the 70's, and Van-in comes back we will have lines of excellent vans.
      Focus ST which stands for Suspension Technologies.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Unfortunately, Nissan is quite happy with the NV. It allows them to more fully utilize the Canton plant thus ensuring they can profit on sales of the Titan.

As for the Express/Savana, GM must be making money hand over fist on those. It's the same basic design dating back to 1995 and they hold almost 45% of the van market. If they had their own "Euro" style van elsewhere, they might consider building and selling it here. Since they don't, the Express will soldier on.
      Well, they used to have access to the Renault van. So my question is, what is going to happen to the Opel Vivaro now that they're owned by PSA?
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast