The Van Lounge: Chevrolet Express can be had with the 4 Cylinder Duramax (2.8L) - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Well, they used to have access to the Renault van. So my question is, what is going to happen to the Opel Vivaro now that they're owned by PSA?
      It'll probably finish this current generation then become a rebadged Pugeot/Citroen van. No big deal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Didn't know that. Weird that nobody is talking about mpg. Must be slow as hell..

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      Didn't know that. Weird that nobody is talking about mpg. Must be slow as hell..
      I have a Canyon Duramax, and at 4500lbs it isn't exactly slow. It moves with ease. The 370 lb/ft of torque at 1800rpm is great.
      Last edited by Brandontrek1; 06-16-2017 at 10:57 AM.
      "I measure in Smiles per Gallon"---dc/dc

Thread starts with bashing, slows and turns into appreciation.

Sounds about right.
      Instagram - efrie004

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Thread starts with bashing, slows and turns into appreciation.

Sounds about right.
      I dunno how anyone could bash the Express, it's a perfectly fine van.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

I like my old GM van... when it works. Granted, it has been abused for 340,000 kms and is probably due for retirement. Although I like the new euro vans with their tall roofs and more upright walls, as discussed before, for gravel roads and such, an Express is probably a better choice. I am always on the lookout for a GM awd drive. They are quite rare, but they would be perfect for "overlanding" and winter use. The Sprinter is nice but 3X the price + it has a part time 4X4 system, which is not as practical in the snow as a viscous-coupling awd like in the GM.

I mostly use mine for cottage duty:

Last edited by Bakounine; 06-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      It'll probably finish this current generation then become a rebadged Pugeot/Citroen van. No big deal.
      But isn't PSA already using a jointly developed with Fiat van?
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      But isn't PSA already using a jointly developed with Fiat van?
      Yeah, but so what? I highly doubt Fiat is going is going to shy away from a renegotiation that deal that adds Opel onto the pack.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Having nothing to add except I Zipcar-ed an E350 Econoline a couple years ago for moving and it drove like absolute sh!t. I mean, like an unmaintained heirloom farm implement that had fallen off a cliff a few times. Chose it over the Transit Connect though because of interior size.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Unfortunately, Nissan is quite happy with the NV. It allows them to more fully utilize the Canton plant thus ensuring they can profit on sales of the Titan.

As for the Express/Savana, GM must be making money hand over fist on those. It's the same basic design dating back to 1995 and they hold almost 45% of the van market. If they had their own "Euro" style van elsewhere, they might consider building and selling it here. Since they don't, the Express will soldier on.
      GM definitely does not have 45% of the van market. GM outsourced the production of its fullsize vans to AM General... that's how unimportant they consider the business. I think GM is keeping it around because getting rid of it will probably kneecap its overall commercial fleet business (i.e. large fleet buyers typically order vans as part of its overall deal for trucks, cars, and SUVs). GM will keep it going as is but I don't see GM investing in the business (they don't have the volume required to design a new van).

2016 sales
      Ford Transit 143,244
      Chevy Express* 68,007
      Ford E-Series 54,245
      Ford Transit Connect 43,232
      Ram Promaster 40,440
      Mercedes Sprinter & Metris 34,304
      GMC Savana 20,607
      Nissan NV200 18,523
      Nissan NV 17,873
      Ram Promaster City 15,972
      Total 456,447

*Chevy Express now includes both the big and little one. GM does not break them out separately anymore.

Market share all vans
      Ford 53%
      GM 19%
      FCA 13%
      Nissan 8%
      Mercedes 7%

Just fullsize vans market share**
      Ford 52%
      GM 23%
      FCA 11%
      Mercedes 9%
      Nissan 5%

** Not exact because Metris and CityExpress are included
      Last edited by bzcat; 06-16-2017 at 01:30 PM.

That would make a killer fleet vehicle.

Send it to Quigley with a fat check and BAM 4x4 work van with a Duramax.

Having owned an Express and a E350 I would take the Express. I liked the engine, transmission, and driving behavior of the Chevy more.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      GM definitely does not have 45% of the van market. GM outsourced the production of its fullsize vans to AM General... that's how unimportant they consider the business. I think GM is keeping it around because getting rid of it will probably kneecap its overall commercial fleet business (i.e. large fleet buyers typically order vans as part of its overall deal for trucks, cars, and SUVs). GM will keep it going as is but I don't see GM investing in the business (they don't have the volume required to design a new van).
      Not quite what's going on. GM struck a deal with Navistar, not AM General. The first contract is moving production of cutaway Express/Savana from GM's Wentzville, Missouri plant to Navistar's Springfield, Ohio plant. This was driven by GM's need for Wentzville to produce more Colorado/Canyon trucks at the already maxed out plant. The second deal is for Navistar to make Class 4/5 trucks, getting back into the business GM left during the recession with the Topkick/Kodiak discontinuation.

That'll teach me to trust wikipedia.

The MB makes the most sense if you want a diesel IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Not quite what's going on. GM struck a deal with Navistar, not AM General. The first contract is moving production of cutaway Express/Savana from GM's Wentzville, Missouri plant to Navistar's Springfield, Ohio plant. This was driven by GM's need for Wentzville to produce more Colorado/Canyon trucks at the already maxed out plant. The second deal is for Navistar to make Class 4/5 trucks, getting back into the business GM left during the recession with the Topkick/Kodiak discontinuation.
      Right... Navistar not AM General

Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      The MB makes the most sense if you want a diesel IMHO.
      4 cylinder MB Sprinter is gone. I'm hearing from folks that MB is offering 6 cylinders to those that ordered 2017 models for zero price increase.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      4 cylinder MB Sprinter is gone. I'm hearing from folks that MB is offering 6 cylinders to those that ordered 2017 models for zero price increase.
      Damm. Just checked mb.ca and it starts $5k more with the V6 engine. I take back my comment.

2016 sales
      Ford Transit 143,244
      Chevy Express* 68,007
      Ford E-Series 54,245
      Ford Transit Connect 43,232
      Ram Promaster 40,440
      Mercedes Sprinter & Metris 34,304
      GMC Savana 20,607
      Nissan NV200 18,523
      Nissan NV 17,873
      Ram Promaster City 15,972
      Total 456,447

*Chevy Express now includes both the big and little one. GM does not break them out separately anymore.

Market share all vans
      Ford 53%
      GM 19%
      FCA 13%
      Nissan 8%
      Mercedes 7%

Just fullsize vans market share**
      Ford 52%
      GM 23%
      FCA 11%
      Mercedes 9%
      Nissan 5%

** Not exact because Metris and CityExpress are included
      Those are some damn interesting numbers. If I had to guess, I would've placed MB either first or second with their Sprinter. I mean...I see it everywhere
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Didn't know they still made these dinosaurs. So out of step with the rest of the modernized commercial van segment.
      2015 e-Golf

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      With that said, they can't be THAT bad, right? Aren't they just a GMT800 truck with a van body?
      And don't forget: they make great engine & transmission donors for driveline swaps.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

I actually like that GM still is going with the old American style vans, when everyone else is going euro. Variety is nice. I just wish they'd facelift these things, add maybe some LED headlights, more modern bumpers, and LED tails or something to spruce em up. They do look dated.

Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      I actually like that GM still is going with the old American style vans, when everyone else is going euro. Variety is nice. I just wish they'd facelift these things, add maybe some LED headlights, more modern bumpers, and LED tails or something to spruce em up. They do look dated.

I'm not so sure this is so much about variety. It's just GM not caring enough? I don't know. They probably do well enough to not merit a redesign. Nearly every review I've read about the Express talks about poor driving dynamics, poor fuel economy, cramped area, etc. It was slightly better than the Econoline but since that is gone it is in last place.
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Isn't this engine made by Isuzu ? If so, GM still do business with them.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      I'm not so sure this is so much about variety. It's just GM not caring enough? I don't know. They probably do well enough to not merit a redesign. Nearly every review I've read about the Express talks about poor driving dynamics, poor fuel economy, cramped area, etc. It was slightly better than the Econoline but since that is gone it is in last place.
      It's easy money for GM and fleet owners like to have the same style of vehicle year in and year out. Kind of the devil you know situation. We had two at my work and they were beat to a pulp and overloaded but just kept on ticking along. Very few repairs outside of maintenance and wear and tear items.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast