All-new sixth-gen 2018 Volkswagen Polo hatchback & 200-hp Polo GTI revealed - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 128
    1. #26
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2012
      Location
      DFW
      Posts
      1,642
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      In the press release......"

      ".....there will be a choice of four petrol and two diesel engines".
      I haven't taken my ADHD medicine today, forgive me

    2. #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      That's not true at all.

      It is certainly true, look at the history of the Golf and Polo and the styling it is always traditional, and evolutionary. It changes very little over the years, the basic packaging is very consistent over 40 years now.

    3. #28
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,396
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      It is certainly true, look at the history of the Golf and Polo and the styling it is always traditional, and evolutionary. It changes very little over the years, the basic packaging is very consistent over 40 years now.
      Just because they seem traditional and evolutionary now does not mean that there haven't been models that, as you said, "pushed the styling envelope."
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    4. #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Just because they seem traditional and evolutionary now does not mean that there haven't been models that, as you said, "pushed the styling envelope."
      I'm specifically referring to the Golf and Polo models since the Polo was the topic of the thread and is a very mainstream model.

    5. #30
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,640
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Just because they seem traditional and evolutionary now does not mean that there haven't been models that, as you said, "pushed the styling envelope."
      The styling envelope was pushed when the original came out, for one. I mean, it's Italian for cryin' out loud!

      Also, I'm pretty sure that's Golfstrom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    6. #31
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,396
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      I'm specifically referring to the Golf and Polo models
      I am too.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    7. #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      The styling envelope was pushed when the original came out, for one. I mean, it's Italian for cryin' out loud!

      Also, I'm pretty sure that's Golfstrom.
      Of course I am speaking about from the very beginning of the Golf model, the formula, and packaging has stayed very much the same over
      40 years, anyone can see that fact, the styling has changed very little over the time period, clearly a slow evolutionary change. Same thing for the Polo.
      Sure the Golf MK I was styled by Giorgetto Giugiaro, however it is a very practical exercise, hatchback, and others had a similar box design before it.
      But I was really focusing on the evolution of the cars since their debut....very much the same styling and packaging as when they debuted over 40 years ago.

    8. #33
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,396
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Of course I am speaking about from the very beginning of the Golf model, the formula, and packaging has stayed very much the same over
      40 years, anyone can see that fact, the styling has changed very little over the time period, clearly a slow evolutionary change. Same thing for the Polo.
      Sure the Golf MK I was styled by Giorgetto Giugiaro, however it is a very practical exercise, hatchback, and others had a similar box design before it.
      But I was really focusing on the evolution of the cars since their debut....very much the same styling and packaging as when they debuted over 40 years ago.


      Anyways. I like this new Polo a lot.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    9. #34
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,640
      Yeah, that's Golfy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    10. #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post

      Anyways. I like this new Polo a lot.
      As do I.

    11. #36
      Slick looking lil' bugger.



      So what's the card slot for?

    12. #37
      Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      16,392
      Quote Originally Posted by rusty346 View Post
      So what's the card slot for?
      cards

    13. #38
      Member Shmi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2009
      Location
      Fairfax, VA
      Posts
      7,051
      Quote Originally Posted by rusty346 View Post
      So what's the card slot for?
      Prepping for self-driving Uber versions. They pull up to your door, you put your credit card in that slot, and off you go!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

    14. #39
      Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      10,352
      '89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

    15. #40
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2011
      Location
      The Volt Bar
      Posts
      1,825
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      The Golf, or the Polo for that matter were NEVER about pushing the styling envelop, since most of the efforts were on practicality, engineering, and packaging, so I guess it is a Bauhaus style concept. However, if you want flashy styling generally you would go somewhere else.
      Thats a straw-man argument. No one is talking about going full Mazda with a redesign, but if you line up all the Polos, Golfs, etc next to one another, you will see 'weak links' in the story--this will be one of them. VW designers have all but admitted this. A look at the reorganizations in the VW group is all one needs to know that design was given a pretty short leash.

      You can absolutely push the envelope within your brand and retain the subtle surface transitions that this OEM is a fan of. The four other early proposals for the Polo illustrated that quite nicely.

    16. #41
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Posts
      1,808
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      The audio snob in me (degree in audio engineering) makes me want to hate this car so much.
      It seems that VW is equipping fewer of its vehicles with Dynaudio systems. This probably saves them money, but it's disappointing for the discerning consumer.

    17. #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Minority5 View Post
      Thats a straw-man argument. No one is talking about going full Mazda with a redesign, but if you line up all the Polos, Golfs, etc next to one another, you will see 'weak links' in the story--this will be one of them. VW designers have all but admitted this. A look at the reorganizations in the VW group is all one needs to know that design was given a pretty short leash.

      You can absolutely push the envelope within your brand and retain the subtle surface transitions that this OEM is a fan of. The four other early proposals for the Polo illustrated that quite nicely.
      Honestly for what it is and the history of the Polo, it looks darn handsome. I don't see the styling as a problem at all. I personally prefer the styling of this to the current Golf profile even though they are pretty close in appearance.
      I like subtle and purposeful, if I wanted styling, I'd buy a Mini and go broke just after the warranty expired.

    18. #43
      Member col.mustard's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2008
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      1,428
      those looks great! VW
      praise the lowered

      Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

    19. #44
      Member slirt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2004
      Location
      Moz Angeles, Califas
      Posts
      3,412
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Don't forget:

      -I'd buy it
      -Crossovers suck
      -VWoA is stupid
      -It's better than the Golf
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      YES, to both/all of the above!

      Looks great, tho
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein, April 4, 2017 View Post
      Well, I was wrong.

    20. #45
      Member slirt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2004
      Location
      Moz Angeles, Califas
      Posts
      3,412


      that little badge sez "R-Line" right? so not a proper Polo R, correct?
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein, April 4, 2017 View Post
      Well, I was wrong.

    21. #46
      Geriatric Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      35,960
      Quote Originally Posted by slirt View Post
      that little badge sez "R-Line" right? so not a proper Polo R, correct?
      Korrekt. This is just a trim.

      There is a talk that a Polo R is coming next year.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

    22. #47
      Nice in depth overview of the New Polo in this video!

      Thanks to Autogefuhl channel on YouTube. I really love it. Great detailed videos all things cars.

      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-17-2017 at 08:16 PM.

    23. #48
      Geriatric Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      35,960
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Nice in depth overview of the New Polo in this video!

      Thanks to Autogefuhl channel on YouTube. I really love this channel great detailed videos all things cars.
      Yes, it is quite fabulous.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

    24. #49
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,396
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Yes, it is quite fabulous.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    25. #50
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2011
      Location
      The Volt Bar
      Posts
      1,825
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Honestly for what it is and the history of the Polo, it looks darn handsome. I don't see the styling as a problem at all. I personally prefer the styling of this to the current Golf profile even though they are pretty close in appearance.
      I like subtle and purposeful, if I wanted styling, I'd buy a Mini and go broke just after the warranty expired.
      All of the above addresses none of MY issues with the design. You know, the one you actually decided to respond to in this thread. I personally never judge a car by photos, but the production clays looked like a overlay of the old one. The other proposals looked better than this. I'm not really sure what your debating here.

    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast