All-new sixth-gen 2018 Volkswagen Polo hatchback & 200-hp Polo GTI revealed - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 128
    1. #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Minority5 View Post
      All of the above addresses none of MY issues with the design. You know, the one you actually decided to respond to in this thread. I personally never judge a car by photos, but the production clays looked like a overlay of the old one. The other proposals looked better than this. I'm not really sure what your debating here.

      You still don't get it?

      Judging by what vehicles you own, you are NOT the target market for this type of vehicle, while I am.

      Again perhaps VW could have gone with something more "flashy", but they know their market when it comes to the Polo. In YOUR OPINION the other proposals looked better than the one management chose. I care much more about how the car drives, handles, the practicality, and such. I could care less about exterior flash, and considering how the Polo IS a best seller where it is offered, VW agrees with most of their customer base.

    2. #52
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2011
      Location
      The Volt Bar
      Posts
      1,826
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      You still don't get it?

      Judging by what vehicles you own, you are NOT the target market for this type of vehicle, while I am.

      Again perhaps VW could have gone with something more "flashy", but they know their market when it comes to the Polo. In YOUR OPINION the other proposals looked better than the one management chose. I care much more about how the car drives, handles, the practicality, and such. I could care less about exterior flash, and considering how the Polo IS a best seller where it is offered, VW agrees with most of their customer base.
      Actually I do get it. I understand design, surface transitions, package, pedestrian/vehicle impact regulations, market projections, clinical data, egress and FE/coefficient requirements. And nowadays, market demographics, PD, product marketing, and automotive communications.

      My experience in automotive has taught me not to, for example, judge someone based on the car he or she might be driving at the time. In theory, who knows what corporate lease that persons in or their companies internal regulations or politics-which is separate from ones taste level at times, but by all means hack away at that keyboard.

      Of course it's my opinion, again what's your point. I'm allowed that. I again have no issue with the fact that your a fan of some photos.

      I never said anything about flash, so again, I'm not sure what your pounding the table about here.
      Last edited by Minority5; 06-18-2017 at 01:25 AM.

    3. #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Minority5 View Post
      Actually I do get it. I understand design, surface transitions, package, pedestrian/vehicle impact regulations, market projections, clinical data, egress and FE/coefficient requirements. And nowadays, market demographics, PD, product marketing, and automotive communications.

      My experience in automotive has taught me not to, for example, judge someone based on the car he or she might be driving at the time. In theory, who knows what corporate lease that persons in or their companies internal regulations or politics-which is separate from ones taste level at times, but by all means hack away at that keyboard.

      Of course it's my opinion, again what's your point. I'm allowed that. I again have no issue with the fact that your a fan of some photos.

      I never said anything about flash, so again, I'm not sure what your pounding the table about here.

      However folks that generally buy large vehicles and SUVs, such as yourself, are not at all in the potential target audience of this product.
      Your preferences likely won't match up to what the target audience cares for. The Polo has always been a practical, and economical vehicle,
      styling while somewhat important, has historically been conservative, so an evolutionary path is taken, and frankly is not critical to the success of the car.


      It's pretty safe to say that the Polo is NOT commonly a company executive lease prospect either, nor does VW want that.

      As a target market of the New Polo I think the exterior looks perfectly fine, better than the Golf I might add.
      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-18-2017 at 12:40 PM.

    4. #54
      Member NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      7,718
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      However folks that generally buy large vehicles and SUVs, such as yourself, are not at all in the potential target audience of this product.
      Your preferences likely won't match up to what the target audience cares for. The Polo has always been a practical, and economical vehicle,
      styling while somewhat important, has historically been conservative, so an evolutionary path is taken, and frankly is not critical to the success of the car.


      It's pretty safe to say that the Polo is NOT commonly a company executive lease prospect either, nor does VW want that.

      As a target market of the New Polo I think the exterior looks perfectly fine, better than the Golf I might add.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    5. #55
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,411
      via Automotive News
      Volkswagen brand's global sales boss, Juergen Stackmann, says the automaker no plans to add its new Polo subcompact hatchback to a U.S. lineup dominated by SUVs and sedans.

      The price level of the segment in America is "ridiculously low," Stackmann told me on the sidelines of the Polo's unveiling in Berlin on Friday.

      "It doesn't make too much sense for us to bring a car like this, which has the substance of a class higher, into a segment that is so price driven in America," he said.

      Stackmann said that VW is happy that its entry model in the U.S. is the Golf compact car because half of the automaker’s U.S. sales for the model line come from the GTI version that starts at $25,595.

      "This is essentially where we start [in the U.S.]," he said. "Therefore, it makes little business sense to bring the Polo to the U.S. currently."

      The Polo's starting price in Germany will be 12,975 euros, which would be about $14,500 in the U.S.

      Stackmann said the VW brand focuses on two segments in particular in the U.S. "Our strategy for the U.S. will be SUV driven with the Atlas and Tiguan and there are two more coming. And we will also have sedans. That means we will compete in the segments that really make volume and business sense in the U.S."

      One of those two forthcoming SUVs is expected to be a Golf-sized crossover based on the T-Roc concept shown at the 2014 Geneva auto show. With design completed, a global launch is expected within the next two years. VW’s U.S. dealers want a competitor for models such as the Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3 and Buick Encore, but U.S. sales have yet to receive the green light. If the compact crossover is approved, it is expected to arrive as early as 2019.

      That falls in line nicely with VW’s plans to offer 19 SUVs globally by 2020, at which time those models would represent 40 percent of the automaker’s lineup.

      The sixth-generation Polo will go on sale in Europe in October. It is wider and longer than the current model and and will offer driver assistance systems from VW's larger and more expensive Passat and Golf models. These will include a lane change system with blind spot detection and rear traffic alert, a semi-automated parking assistance system for exiting parking spaces and a maneuvering function that provides automatic protection from any bumps while parking.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    6. #56
      That is VW's choice, these types of decisions are partially what keeps them from becoming a major player in the USA.
      All the major players in the USA have entry level products. VW will remain a bit player in the USA market so no 800k sales by 2018.
      I went out and bought a Honda Fit recently.

      That being said I would have preferred the Mazda 2 hatchback, but of course the US doesn't get that, instead we get the ugly and impractical
      Toyota iA sedan, which is a rebadged Mazda 2 sedan.
      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-18-2017 at 01:38 PM.

    7. #57
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,641
      Your thoughts aside, VW would be stupid to bring over a car with low margins that sells in small numbers. They would likely sell half of them to people who would have bought a Golf, anyway. That leaves you with marketing, parts, training, production, federalization and inventory costs on a cheap vehicle that competes with a higher margin vehicle from their own brand that can spread its costs to a popular higher-end model.

      It's large enough now that if it were well finished (which it seems to be) I would like it, too. A MkIV sized hatchback with tuned suspension and 200 hp? Sounds great! I'm just realistic enough to know that I'm in the minority and it's enough of a minority that they can't make a good business case for it.

      I'm sorry that you can't see the logic, but it's right there. You can argue 'til you're blue in the face (which you will almost certainly do), but it isn't coming and for good reasons.

      Now admit it, you're Golfstrom, aren't you?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    8. #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Your thoughts aside, VW would be stupid to bring over a car with low margins that sells in small numbers. They would likely sell half of them to people who would have bought a Golf, anyway. That leaves you with marketing, parts, training, production, federalization and inventory costs on a cheap vehicle that competes with a higher margin vehicle from their own brand that can spread its costs to a popular higher-end model.

      It's large enough now that if it were well finished (which it seems to be) I would like it, too. A MkIV sized hatchback with tuned suspension and 200 hp? Sounds great! I'm just realistic enough to know that I'm in the minority and it's enough of a minority that they can't make a good business case for it.

      I'm sorry that you can't see the logic, but it's right there. You can argue 'til you're blue in the face (which you will almost certainly do), but it isn't coming and for good reasons.

      Now admit it, you're Golfstrom, aren't you?
      Yet SOMEHOW Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Chevy, Ford are making it work, even if not perfectly when it comes to subcompacts in the US.

    9. #59
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,641
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Yet SOMEHOW Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Chevy, Ford are making it work, even if not perfectly when it comes to subcompacts in the US.
      You mean those companies that sell in high volume? Yeah, I wonder how they do it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    10. #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      You mean those companies that sell in high volume? Yeah, I wonder how they do it.

      Yet VW claimed they wanted to sell 800k units by 2018, that was their goal. Fail!

      VWoA has been failing for over 40 years now.

      VW has stated many times that if they wanted to be a major player in the USA they need a full line up of product.
      Now they have decent CUV offerings.....next up...

    11. #61
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2011
      Location
      The Volt Bar
      Posts
      1,826
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      However folks that generally buy large vehicles and SUVs, such as yourself, are not at all in the potential target audience of this product.
      Your preferences likely won't match up to what the target audience cares for. The Polo has always been a practical, and economical vehicle,
      styling while somewhat important, has historically been conservative, so an evolutionary path is taken, and frankly is not critical to the success of the car.


      It's pretty safe to say that the Polo is NOT commonly a company executive lease prospect either, nor does VW want that.

      As a target market of the New Polo I think the exterior looks perfectly fine, better than the Golf I might add.
      You are literally talking out of your ***.
      Last edited by Minority5; 06-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.

    12. #62
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,641
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Yet VW claimed they wanted to sell 800k units by 2018, that was their goal. Fail!

      VWoA has been failing for over 40 years now.

      VW has stated many times that if they wanted to be a major player in the USA they need a full line up of product.
      Now they have decent CUV offerings.....next up...
      Dieselgate certainly ended that plan, unattainable as it almost certainly was. The Polo was never part of that plan nor should it have been. There is a sub-Tiguan CUV coming and possibly one (that would be Polo-based) coming after that. That's their plan and it's a much better one than trying to sell cars that are popular in Europe to Americans who want/need something different than their European counterparts.

      That you don't get that says more about you than VWoA.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    13. #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Dieselgate certainly ended that plan, unattainable as it almost certainly was. The Polo was never part of that plan nor should it have been. There is a sub-Tiguan CUV coming and possibly one (that would be Polo-based) coming after that. That's their plan and it's a much better one than trying to sell cars that are popular in Europe to Americans who want/need something different than their European counterparts.

      That you don't get that says more about you than VWoA.
      I do get that, what did I just post earlier? I agree that VW needed CUVs to properly compete in the USA,
      however they also need a full line up. If they bring a mini-ute Polo-Crossover that would be a good idea. Ford, Chevy, Honda, Mazda and others are doing the same thing. If they can federalize that car it would be a fairly simple effort to bring the regular version. Factor Canada into the mix because the Polo hatchback would probably sell very well there, and the DOT specs are almost identical to those in the USA.

      I'm just going to add that at least in the US among customers interested in the TDI as long as VW corrects any outstanding issues with the emissions and performance stays the same even with a small reduction in MPGs most folks would buy them again, it's only a scandal in the media's eyes. In two or three years it will be entirely forgotten by most consumers.
      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-18-2017 at 05:40 PM.

    14. #64
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,641
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      I do get that, what did I just post earlier? I agree that VW needed CUVs to properly compete in the USA,
      however they also need a full line up. If they bring a mini-ute Polo-Crossover that would be a good idea...
      What you're failing to realize is that it's prohibitively expensive to bring in a variant if that variant cannot sustain itself. They even dropped the two-door Golf/GTI in spite of the fact it had already been federalized and sold for a couple of years. It simply wasn't worth it to them from a business perspective. I find that one far more frustrating than not having a Polo, and if it's as good as it looks I'd probably rather have the Polo.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    15. #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      What you're failing to realize is that it's prohibitively expensive to bring in a variant if that variant cannot sustain itself. They even dropped the two-door Golf/GTI in spite of the fact it had already been federalized and sold for a couple of years. It simply wasn't worth it to them from a business perspective. I find that one far more frustrating than not having a Polo, and if it's as good as it looks I'd probably rather have the Polo.
      Yet somehow Ford, Chevy, Honda, have made it work. Yes, the profit won't be huge, but it will establish the brand in that class and bring in younger buyers many of whom will be their first new car. Car is built in Brazil so the cost/production cost will be very low.

      The Golf is a very nice car, but has grown too big, way too big. Even some of the press reviews have mentioned that the new Polo is as big as the A3 Golf from 1991-1997, that is large, but manageable.

    16. #66
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,641
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Yet somehow Ford, Chevy, Honda, have made it work. Yes, the profit won't be huge, but it will establish the brand in that class and bring in younger buyers many of whom will be their first new car. Car is built in Brazil so the cost/production cost will be very low.

      The Golf is a very nice car, but has grown too big, way too big. Even some of the press reviews have mentioned that the new Polo is as big as the A3 Golf from 1991-1997, that is large, but manageable.
      Aaaaand your argument is circular.

      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      You mean those companies that sell in high volume? Yeah, I wonder how they do it.
      Brazil production or not the low margin subcompact is not where they need to focus their attention. At all.

      G'night, Golfy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    17. #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Aaaaand your argument is circular.
      My argument has merit, as many other large players DO HAVE a subcompact car offering in the US.



      Brazil production or not the low margin subcompact is not where they need to focus their attention. At all.

      G'night, Golfy.
      As always never thinking two steps ahead, and that is why VWoA is ALWAYS three steps behind the other major manufacturers in the US.

      Golfy?

    18. #68
      Member Form Ocean's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2000
      Location
      DFW, TX
      Posts
      1,303
      Polo Beats. The choice of up-and-coming porn stars.


    19. #69
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,641
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      My argument has merit...
      No it doesn't and you've been told why several times by several people and ignore the fact that if what you say is true then they would bring it. You blather on and refuse to acknowledge other viewpoints, which is how we know you're Golfstrom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    20. #70
      Member MontoyaF1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2004
      Location
      Nashville, TN USA
      Posts
      1,477
      I actually like the styling of this much better than the current Golf/GTI.
      Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

      http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

    21. #71
      Quote Originally Posted by MontoyaF1 View Post
      I actually like the styling of this much better than the current Golf/GTI.

      I agree, it's very subtle but it just seems to "gel" better.

    22. #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      No it doesn't and you've been told why several times by several people and ignore the fact that if what you say is true then they would bring it. You blather on and refuse to acknowledge other viewpoints, which is how we know you're Golfstrom.

      Yet you won't acknowledge other viewpoints either. Kettle meet pot.

      Again I just named NUMEROUS other major manufacturers that DO make a subcompact work in their line up for the US market. Yes they are not
      big profit makers but they make modest profits, and even VW stated that if they want to be a major player in the this market they must have
      a full range vehicle line up.

    23. #73
      Member NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      7,718
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Yet you won't acknowledge other viewpoints either. Kettle meet pot.

      Again I just named NUMEROUS other major manufacturers that DO make a subcompact work in their line up for the US market. Yes they are not
      big profit makers but they make modest profits, and even VW stated that if they want to be a major player in the this market they must have
      a full range vehicle line up.
      Yes but you seem to struggle with the concept of wanting to do something and being able to afford to do something.
      Maybe once you get out of moms basement and enter the real world Golfy you might finally understand.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    24. #74
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Yes but you seem to struggle with the concept of wanting to do something and being able to afford to do something.
      Maybe once you get out of moms basement and enter the real world Golfy you might finally understand.

      VW is (was before TDI issues? I'll give you that.) able to enter a subcompact class vehicle into the USA/Canada market. Heck they are basically one of the
      biggest and wealthiest manufacturers of vehicles on the planet.

    25. #75
      Member NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      7,718
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      VW is (was before TDI issues? I'll give you that.) able to enter a subcompact class vehicle into the USA/Canada market. Heck they are basically one of the
      biggest and wealthiest manufacturers of vehicles on the planet.
      Again, there is a difference between having the money for something and being able to afford something.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast