Test drove my first F-Type today...and it was kind of disappointing :-(
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yeah, so I know I sold my Cayman and Fusion and bought a Focus RS because I didn't want to deal with having two cars.

But after seeing (and hearing!) F-Types at a couple of recent cars and coffee events, I've been kind of lusting after one.

So, I scheduled a test drive today at my local Jag dealer. I wanted to try a manual but, of course, they only had automatics in stock. The one I ended up taking out was a 2017 British Design Edition AWD F-Type S coupe.

The car I drove was white and very, very pretty. Unfortunately, I think that's about the only good thing I can say about it. It felt no faster than my Focus RS (and looking at reviews suggests it isn't), didn't feel nearly as nimble as the RS, had terrible visibility, uncomfortable seats, and, shockingly, didn't sound that great.

The last one really surprised me, since I've always thought F-Types sounded good in videos or when driving by. But, from the driver's seat, I just wasn't really impressed, even with the sports exhaust engaged.

The seats also shocked me. This one had the upgraded performance seats, and they are a terrible combination of being rock hard and not all that well bolstered. Oh, they also have a seam running down the middle of them that pokes right into your spine. I'd take the Recaros in my RS over them *any* day. But it seems that Jaguar changed the seats for 2018, so I guess I'm not the only one who thought that the seats were crap.

As for the rest of the interior, I thought it was pretty good...until I considered the price. This was a $100K car I was driving! In no way did the interior justify that price--the interior of a Mercedes C-Class coupe is *way* nicer for considerably less money.

The steering was...inoffensive, I guess? It didn't strike me as being particular bad, but neither did it impress me as being particularly outstanding, either.

Oh, I guess there is one other good thing I can say about the F-Type: because the suspension isn't as taut as the RS', the Jag did take bumps and road imperfections way better than my Focus. But I'm not sure that's good thing in a performance car...

Maybe a RWD F-Type with a manual transmission might have made a better impression--but I kind of doubt it. Oh, well, at least I can cross the F-Type off my list of possible future purchases.

I see them as GT cars. They look good and have presence and seem like they would soak up long drives effortlessly, while having some sporting intensions. More Mercedes SL like, and less Porsche 911

$100k for "inoffensive"?

Obviously keep the FoRS. Thanks for the mini review though. Sounds like the Jag is yet another one of those cars for people that "just want that white one over there" because it says Jaguar, but aren't interested in the actual driving experience.
      "This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
      Sterling Mallory Archer

yeah.. I've been itching to try one of these. The sound (at least from an external point of view) is so damn good. I'm not surprised to hear an unbiased report that it feels a bit sluggish. These cars are very heavy. If they came out with one with a real world curb weight under 3500lbs it might be something I'd get excited about. Well now I've just read that the 2.0T will be something about that weight but that seems to be against the point of british muscle.
      Iroz Motorsport Built Engine | 034 Motorsports Catless DP | APR RSC Catback | APR Stage 2+ Tune | 034 Motorsports RARB + Shifter Bracket Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post

So, I scheduled a test drive today at my local Jag dealer. I wanted to try a manual but, of course, they only had automatics in stock. The one I ended up taking out was a 2017 British Design Edition AWD F-Type S coupe.

It's hard to believe that they wouldn't have at least ONE manual car in stock, that is pathetic.

Have they started using a capacitive touchscreen yet? The last one I tried was s l o w.
      Last edited by NoXenons; 06-16-2017 at 02:31 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

IMO the manual really suits the car well. It's not as crisp and engaging as a 911 or Cayman, but it is an extremely pleasant GT/mild sports car. I wasn't enamored with the 8 speed auto, however the one in my F Pace is programmed great. I think the F type is a great second hand bargain, at $50 ish I think it's a competitive buy, but at full price, it's an emotional purchase over logical one.

I think I might be the only one that thinks this, but i absolutely HATE the sound of the F-Type.

I was at an autocross event where one of these was in the group of cars and especially at full throttle they sound like crappy pop can muffler.

In my opinion, the Fiat Abarth is still the best sounding exhaust by far.

Quote Originally Posted by tyintegra View Post
      In my opinion, the Fiat Abarth is still the best sounding exhaust by far.
      You seriously think that a Fiat Abarth sounds better than this?

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I see them as GT cars. Seem like they would soak up long drives effortlessly, while having some sporting intensions. More Mercedes SL like, and less Porsche 911
      Porsche 911 is a GT car.
      '89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

I just specced an F-Type to $175,00CDN. It will be worth $75,00CDN within a year and about $25,000CDN the year after that. Gotta love Jaguar depreciation.
      '89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I see them as GT cars. They look good and have presence and seem like they would soak up long drives effortlessly, while having some sporting intensions. More Mercedes SL like, and less Porsche 911
      This.

Apples to leeches?

There was an F type R or whatever at the track yesterday and it was painfully slow. Was bad getting stuck behind him. Sounded pretty though!

OP, I'm surprised the sound wasn't a positive. Was it loud inside the car? They are crazy loud outside. I have heard these things blocks away, which is amazing for OEM. Like, unbelievably loud for OEM.

There's also a yuge difference between the NA and blown V8s and the newer ones that are specced with blown V6s that also come in Land Rovers. I'm not surprised to hear that they're more meow than scratch, though.

Looks to be a great car for the intended audience. That audience isn't very sports oriented.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Low production car with a terrible rep and costly maintenance and getting crushed in resale./
      You better be willing to light money on fire.

I really admire the styling of these cars, along with the sound passing by. However, just sitting in one, I realized it just was not a car for me. I like my performance to be smaller, nimble and precise, and this car is none of those. Heck, I wish the Boxster was a bit smaller and 300-400 pounds lighter!
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White/Charcoal Black, ST3
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology

I rented an M5 and a F-Type through Turo in Vegas a couple of months ago. I thought the F-Type sounded fantastic inside and out, a deeper tone than what comes through headphones when watching videos, it's full and rich throughout. Still looks good though I'm waning on the styling especially after a day with it. I'm finding the Miata me-too 3/4 size more attractive, alternatively the previous XK-R is looking better and better. The interior of the F-type is laughably tiny - I couldn't get comfortable in either drive or passenger seat. My head pokes through the new Miata cloth top, looks like the car bumped its head, but I felt more relaxed in that cabin than the Jag's. There are harder materials that dig into your knees, hard seat cushions, little leg room/narrow hip and shoulder room. Best for someone 5'1-5'8 <175 lbs even then it'll be intimate. The suspension was brutally stiff and it was surprisingly very slow. Maybe there was a better way to setup the suspension for softer cruising. It is on the sports car side of the spectrum, not a suitable GT car in my opinion. For the styling and sound I wouldn't fault anyone for spending their hard earned money on one but as someone else mentioned do yourself a favor and buy a 2-3 year old one with extended warranty. It's a great sports car statement to show off for $40k

I think you're trying to justify the Focus RS which is fine but comparing it to an F-type is a little much.

If you want a proper open-air motoring experience in a new car with an exhaust that actually sounds good (and doesn't sound completely artificial like the F-Type), go drive a Boxster Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      I think you're trying to justify the Focus RS which is fine but comparing it to an F-type is a little much.
      Not at all. I really wanted to like the F-Type, but it just failed to impress me. Especially for $100K!

the v8s RWD is a hoot - even with the ZF autobox. it's imprecise, loud, obnoxious... very much a loud GT car.

I think hawk is being slightly hyperbolic about the depreciation - if it was as bad as that, i'd have one in my driveway already.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Corvette Gransport coupe. Try it out
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Test drove a v8s convertible that looked and sounded incredible. Unfortunately I hated the driving dynamics (it was also December and couldn't get the rears to stick...). After getting back into my 991 Carrera S at the time it was clear the F-type wasn't the car for me however at 40-50 grand I might play ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast