Audi: No more Diesels for the US
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Audi: No more Diesels for the US

I would be surprised if we see any more new diesels from VW.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/oil-won...d-for-the-u-s/

We spoke to Peter Mertens, Audi’s new development boss, at last weekend’s Formula E race in Berlin and asked him whether a relaunch in the U.S. market would be considered for the ultraclean next-generation diesel engines that the group is developing.

“Now you’re putting me in a corner,” he said. “I would say no, and why is that so? I do not believe that Americans in their true belief and heart, their cultural way of driving, are suited to diesel. They aren’t. Everybody tried—we Europeans tried to give an answer maybe to a question that wasn’t asked.”

Peter has a point.

Americans DO like diesels.

But only when they come installed in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and can do this:

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post

Those aren't Americans. They are residents of merica, an entirely different place.
      Member since July 2001. Previous username: windsorblue. Forgot to update email at some point and lost access to that account during the data breech of 2016.

I thought given the emissions scandal that this was a given.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

For umpteen years, people wondered why Honda and Mazda could never figure out how to get their diesels to meet U.S. emissions.

The answer seems pretty clear now.

"Truth in Engineering" my ass.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      I thought given the emissions scandal that this was a given.
      Yeah, a relaunch simply isn't worth their investment. 'Lectrics or bust at this point.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      To be fair they engineered a pretty good workaround.......
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

And they would have gotten away with it if not for those pesky kids.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

If only they used that engineering prowess towards "CleanDiesel".

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post

Those aren't Americans. Those are A-holes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      For umpteen years, people wondered why Honda and Mazda could never figure out how to get their diesels to meet U.S. emissions.

The answer seems pretty clear now.

BMW doesn't seem to have a problem. I was looking forward to the Honda 2.2 back in the day, great engine. And Mazda just decided to fill their crankcases with diesel instead, lol.

And of course, the Canadian market get lumped into this whole mess and yeah.

He's a damn fool for thinking that. Diesel demand for the high end German 3 were off the charts, at least from what I saw in Toronto.

The non TDI versions were becoming less and less prevalent. Less so in the sedans, but even those weren't nearly as rare as one would think. The same went for Mercedes. I honestly think about 90% of the ML GL, and GLKs sold were diesel. Even a large handful of E-Classes. BMW was the only one that seemed to have less of an image with diesel engines. And I don't want to get started on VW.

It's a shame, it really is a shame because I think for once we were on the upswing. For once more manufacturers were embracing diesel and people started catching on. Now we're apparently back to square one, but I have no doubts they would sell just fine had they been reintroduced.
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      BMW doesn't seem to have a problem. I was looking forward to the Honda 2.2 back in the day, great engine. And Mazda just decided to fill their crankcases with diesel instead, lol.
      The BMW and MBZ diesels seem to be legit.

Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      And of course, the Canadian market get lumped into this whole mess and yeah.

He's a damn fool for thinking that. Diesel demand for the high end German 3 were off the charts, at least from what I saw in Toronto.
      Sadly Canada's car market is so small it is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to decisions dealing with NA.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Yeah, a relaunch simply isn't worth their investment. 'Lectrics or bust at this point.
      Except the greater general consumer base is NOT interested in electric vehicles, and will not be until the issue of distance and battery technology can be overcome, and there is NO sign that the problems will be addressed anytime in the next 25 years or more.

Why waste money on designing electric cars when the battery technology is not there, and won't be for perhaps more than half a century?

Also when you look at what happened when VW was cleared to sell two year old TDIs this year in the USA? The customers could not get enough of them, and were willing to pay sticker price, ON TWO YEAR OLD TDI units....

That speaks volumes, if VW can actually address the issues that got them in trouble to begin with the demand for TDI in the US, and Canada is
      extremely strong, even with low gas prices!
      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-16-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Hi Golfy. You haven't changed a bit.

Demand for diesel will further decrease and so will the price.

They are already 5-10 cents cheaper than Regular in Canuckistan since early 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Demand for diesel will further decrease and so will the price.

They are already 5-10 cents cheaper than Regular in Canuckistan since early 2017.
      Some just don't get the difference between ascending and descending technology. Or understand the concept of pent-up demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Seymour View Post
      Those aren't Americans. They are residents of merica, an entirely different place.
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      Those aren't Americans. Those are A-holes.
      Actually, yeah they are Americans. You should probably get away from the coasts sometimes and get a feel for your country.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      Actually, yeah they are A-holes.
      FTFY.
      Looking for VW parts? Follow @irrelevanttuningco on Instagram for some great deals!

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Some just don't get the difference between ascending and descending technology. Or understand the concept of pent-up demand.

You can have all the "ascending" technology you want, if it isn't practical and usable, the typical consumer (especially the ones that need it to get to work and long trips reliably) are NOT going to buy into it.

Remember those cars were over TWO years old, the the consumer paid sticker in most instances. Not to mention that diesels ARE practical, and can go a lot further on a tank of diesel RELIABLY than some electric car can on a single charge, especially when finding a place to charge on 240v is not easily available.

It struck me as interesting how similar these two posts were to one another, yet for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      Actually, yeah they are Americans. You should probably get away from the coasts sometimes and get a feel for your country.
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      You can have all the "ascending" technology you want, if it isn't practical and usable, the typical consumer (especially the ones that need it to get to work and long trips reliably) are NOT going to buy into it.

Remember those cars were over TWO years old, the the consumer paid sticker in most instances. Not to mention that diesels ARE practical, and can go a lot further on a tank of diesel RELIABLY than some electric car can on a single charge, especially when finding a place to charge on 240v is not easily available.
      I don't use a hammer to drive a screw, nor a screwdriver to drive a nail.

There is a market for EV but the Americans have a tendency, myself included, to get the most car we'll ever need rather than the car we use the most.

There are 100 of thousands, if not millions that never drive more than 20 miles a day.

They're perfect candidates for EVs but the variety of platforms isn't there, you basically have 2 choices, luxury sedan or compact sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post

You're like someone trying to drive with the windshield painted black. You can't see what's in front of you. Diesel is done in the U.S. for VW and nothing will change that. It's the biggest PR nightmare since the connection with the Nazis during the war. They won't touch it with a 10 ft. pole and there's no reason to. You can say that commonplace electrics are 25 years in the future, but that doesn't make it true. They, and most other car companies, have spent huge fortunes getting ready for the electrics, but I suppose you know better than they.

The diesels sold well because they're the last shot at getting one and everyone knows it, including you. Am I surprised they sold for retail? Kinda. Apparently there are enough die-hards out there that they could very quickly sell a batch of new ones every three years. That's a great business plan.

I have and a 2.0T, 3.0T and a 3.0TDI C7/.5 A6 and the TDI was by far my favorite. Wish I had a new one today.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast