Audi: No more Diesels for the US - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      I have and a 2.0T, 3.0T and a 3.0TDI C7/.5 A6 and the TDI was by far my favorite. Wish I had a new one today.
      They were great to drive and I nearly bought one a few months before dieselgate, so it's not like I don't get it. Unless you can still find what you're looking for that ship has sailed, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

No surprise at all.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Not unexpected ----- but disappointing nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      You're like someone trying to drive with the windshield painted black. You can't see what's in front of you. Diesel is done in the U.S. for VW and nothing will change that. It's the biggest PR nightmare since the connection with the Nazis during the war. They won't touch it with a 10 ft. pole and there's no reason to. You can say that commonplace electrics are 25 years in the future, but that doesn't make it true. They, and most other car companies, have spent huge fortunes getting ready for the electrics, but I suppose you know better than they.

:
      You can't FORCE consumers to accept something that isn't desirable/practical, now if you want to give them away for free you might have a point.
      You give me a free electric vehicle I'll gladly accept it, and still drive my ICE/diesel/gasoline engine daily.

Most consumers especially in the USA have very short memories, especially if the product meets their needs and is a decent value for the money.
      I promise you in a few years almost NO ONE in the US will even think about the so called diesel VW issue, if you placed a TDI in front of them
      they wouldn't have a clue about it, and even the non-diesel fan would gladly buy one when gas prices top 3.00-4.00/gal again.

Nazis?.....most folks younger than 40 years old don't think about WW II at all, and don't have much of an opinion one way or another.
      See that short attention span again.

Read a book, Golfstrom.

You think people don't want electrics but will want a diesel when gas (and diesel) is over $3.00 per gallon? That's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Nazis?.....most folks younger than 40 years old don't think about WW II at all, and don't have much of an opinion one way or another.
      See that short attention span again.
      Except for Hiroshima and all that.

You're like someone trying to drive with the windshield painted black. You can't see what's in front of you. Diesel is done in the U.S. for VW and nothing will change that. It's the biggest PR nightmare since the connection with the Nazis during the war. They won't touch it with a 10 ft. pole and there's no reason to. You can say that commonplace electrics are 25 years in the future, but that doesn't make it true. They, and most other car companies, have spent huge fortunes getting ready for the electrics, but I suppose you know better than they.

The diesels sold well because they're the last shot at getting one and everyone knows it, including you. Am I surprised they sold for retail? Kinda. Apparently there are enough die-hards out there that they could very quickly sell a batch of new ones every three years. That's a great business plan.
      Great post.

And this is coming from a former diesel aficionado here: the future of diesel is ****ed.

Bummer, but was expected. I still think the best answer is a hybrid with a 1.0L diesel as a power generator for an electric motor is the way to go. Sure diesel isn't as clean, but it's efficient. There's a reason locomotives are diesel electric.

The grid and battery technology just don't exist yet for pure EV cars. I can't charge at work and we have no plans to add facilities. I also travel farther than any current offered EV range every weekend. I'm not going to drive 250 miles then wait several hours to drive 100-200 more miles. That's asinine. As I'm writing this I'm realizing my house, built in the 1950s, has no exterior outlets. So there's another project I don't feel like undertaking, ICE FTW! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      Bummer, but was expected. I still think the best answer is a hybrid with a 1.0L diesel as a power generator for an electric motor is the way to go. Sure diesel isn't as clean, but it's efficient. There's a reason locomotives are diesel electric.

The grid and battery technology just don't exist yet for pure EV cars. I can't charge at work and we have no plans to add facilities. I also travel farther than any current offered EV range every weekend. I'm not going to drive 250 miles then wait several hours to drive 100-200 more miles. That's asinine. As I'm writing this I'm realizing my house, built in the 1950s, has no exterior outlets. So there's another project I don't feel like undertaking, ICE FTW! Lol.
      EVs aren't for everyone, and that's okay. I don't think anyone is saying they are. Unless we can somehow charge as we drive (theoretically possible, but a loooong ways off) they will always take longer to fill up than a fueled car, no matter the range.

The idea of a diesel hybrid is apparently better on paper than in real life. You not only have the costs of both, but diesels don't like to be cold, somtemperature regulation is a real problem. When the Concept One (the much smaller Polo-based New Beetle prototype) came out it was supposed to be a 3-cylinder diesel with a starter/generator coupled to it with clutches between so that it could run on diesel, electric or both. The basic layout was like Honda's, so it was to be coupled to a 5-speed, too. Alas, it was not to be.

As far as the grid goes, from what I understand it's fine for a huge number of people since most charge at night when demands are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Demand for diesel will further decrease and so will the price.

They are already 5-10 cents cheaper than Regular in Canuckistan since early 2017.
      Until winter comes around then diesel is more expensive then gasoline.

Diesel is also used as home heating fuel This is the reason why you see the price hikes once the weather gets cold.

In the summer however, diesel is for the most part cheaper then regular.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      Those aren't Americans. Those are A-holes.
      IDK...
      At least they are obviously polluting only at certain times when they want to (when they crank it up to make soot/a.k.a. roll coal).
      They are not polluting all the time while claiming they are super green clean and great for environment.
      Who is the real A-hole?
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Read a book, Golfstrom.

You think people don't want electrics but will want a diesel when gas (and diesel) is over $3.00 per gallon? That's hilarious!
      I'm not sure whom you are actually posting to but it seems like it is me.

The bottom line is MOST consumers have no interest in electric vehicles, and will not for perhaps 100 years or more if
      normal market conditions prevail. (eg. no gib me dat gov't incentives to get these folks to buy into them)

The technology for them to be practical to typical consumers is not there, and doesn't appear to be on the horizon anytime in the near future either.

Until then the ICE diesel or gasoline will be the default choice of the vast majority of car buyers. When gas prices spike if the small passenger
      diesel is available consumers WILL buy them. That makes old technology viable. So what if it is "old" as long as it does the job well?

This situation also reminds me of the silly and impossible to practically and safely implement "self driving car".
      Not going to happen any time in the next 75-100 years.
      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-17-2017 at 01:05 PM.

This situation also reminds me of the silly and impossible to practically and safely implement "self driving car".
      Not going to happen any time in the next 75-100 years.
      Yeah no...there are different levels of self driving cars, and they are going to be ubiquitous at some level a lot sooner than you think. I wouldnt be surprised if every new car had fully autonomous highway driving in the next 20 years. You drive your car to the interstate, and basically relinquish control until your exit. I've personally ridden in a fully autonomous self driving car along I-81 in Virginia. The technology already exists and is functioning. Not hard to see where it will be in just 5 years.
      Last edited by Triumph; 06-17-2017 at 02:24 PM.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Modern diesel cars produce XX times more NOx per litre of fuel. Researched and tested to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      Yeah no...there are different levels of self driving cars, and they are going to be ubiquitous at some level a lot sooner than you think. I wouldnt be surprised if every new car had fully autonomous highway driving in the next 20 years. You drive your car to the interstate, and basically relinquish control until your exit. I've personally ridden in a fully autonomous self driving car along I-81 in Virginia. The technology already exists and is functioning. Not hard to see where it will be in just 5 years.
      No, yeah, no....

Why won't most vehicles have autonomous ability anytime in the next 50 years? LIABILITY. That's why.
      However, bottom line is the technology isn't good enough, and might not ever be in the next century to cope with all the parameters that
      a motorist encounters during a short 15 minute drive. Also you add cost into it and as it is car prices are way too high, most people can barely afford to own cars as it is today ,and even that is only going to get much worse, with all the other costs involved.

Why won't most vehicles have autonomous ability anytime in the next 50 years? LIABILITY. That's why.
      Tesla, Waymo, Uber, etc. are pouring billions into this technology and not one of them ever said "hey maybe we should ask the lawyers about this?"

This topic is being dealt with and there will be a fully auto vehicle (level 4) for sale within a decade easily.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Tesla, Waymo, Uber, etc. are pouring billions into this technology and not one of them ever said "hey maybe we should ask the lawyers about this?"

This topic is being dealt with and there will be a fully auto vehicle (level 4) for sale within a decade easily.

I'll believe it when I see it. When the first person hit buy a fully autonomous car is killed and the car's
      computer system is at fault, I bet the victim's family will sue the responsible parties out of existence, and I hope they win. Perhaps in over 100 years the technology might be present to cope with such super complex tasks, but honestly outside of private roads, it isn't going to happen in at least 50 years or more, I'd say 100 years.

I'll believe it when I see it. When the first person hit buy a fully autonomous car is killed and the car's
      computer system is at fault, I bet the victim's family will sue the responsible parties out of existence, and I hope they win. Perhaps in over 100 years the technology might be present to cope with such super complex tasks, but honestly outside of private roads, it isn't going to happen in at least 50 years or more, I'd say 100 years.
      100 years?
      100 years ago people were replacing their horse with a car.

You are out of your goddamn mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Benzina! View Post
      100 years?
      100 years ago people were replacing their horse with a car.

You are out of your goddamn mind.
      Yes, they were, HOWEVER, the horse drawn carriage was controlled by a human being too.

Yes, they were, HOWEVER, the horse drawn carriage was controlled by a human being too.
      lol

You're not familiar with Moore's law, are you?

If everything goes well then they were mostly controlled by humans. But I am guessing you have never tried to control a horse drawn carriage around people. Heck, I bet you do not even have experience trying to control a horse out in public.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

No, yeah, no....

However, bottom line is the technology isn't good enough, and might not ever be in the next century to cope with all the parameters that
      a motorist encounters during a short 15 minute drive. Also you add cost into it and as it is car prices are way too high, most people can barely afford to own cars as it is today ,and even that is only going to get much worse, with all the other costs involved.
      That's why man invented the concept of insurance.
      =

Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      That's why man invented the concept of insurance.
      And it's not like manufacturers aren't already getting sued when people die.

Once we get to a point with this A.I. that it can learn and better itself and be networked to share those learning experiences, everything will advance much faster.

"Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      If everything goes well then they were mostly controlled by humans. But I am guessing you have never tried to control a horse drawn carriage around people. Heck, I bet you do not even have experience trying to control a horse out in public.
      You ever hear of Dressage? That is MY discipline. Now go study up on what that means.

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Heck, I bet you do not even have experience trying to control a horse out in public.
      I'm not so sure, he does seem to have extensive experience wearing blinders.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast