Low Income Neighborhood VW Charging Stations - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Truth be told, there's not many cars with lower TCO than Volt/Leaf/presumably Bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However little known by the general public is that more pollution is created during the manufacturing process of electric vehicles compared to ordinary ICE engined vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      However little known by the general public is that more pollution is created during the manufacturing process of electric vehicles compared to ordinary ICE engined vehicles.
      I see that statement thrown around periodically.. but never actually proven with current data.
      It's always supported by some borderline op-ed article from a long time ago.
      New techs always cost more before infrastructure support and advances with efficiency come into play.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      How much copper wire is in one of these chargers?
      What's amusing is that most of the Tesla superchargers that have been pillaged, they didn't go for the copper. They cleaned out the electric cabinet of the expensive electronics and switch gear and breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I see that statement thrown around periodically.. but never actually proven with current data.
      It's always supported by some borderline op-ed article from a long time ago.
      New techs always cost more before infrastructure support and advances with efficiency come into play.
      We also can't forget that if say your electric supplier uses coal to provide the electricity for that EV it adds a significant amount of pollution to the equation.

Lithium is the secondly most commonly available element in the universe. It is everywhere.

We also can't forget that if say your electric supplier uses coal to provide the electricity for that EV it adds a significant amount of pollution to the equation.
      Yes but unlike ICE the EVs only get cleaner as they age and power production shifts to cleaner methods.
      But continue living in your bubble golfy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

And if we count all the energy used/pollution created for electric production, then we also have to count all the pollution created in the entire crude oil mining, shipping, refining, shipping system.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 06-17-2017 at 03:29 PM.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Still cleaner per mile driven than the average car. Also much easier to make dramatic reductions in those emissions because it's a point source instead of a distributed network. Easier to maintain those controls, much more likely to actually be done...

But hey, don't let facts and thought intrude on your bubble.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      What's amusing is that most of the Tesla superchargers that have been pillaged, they didn't go for the copper. They cleaned out the electric cabinet of the expensive electronics and switch gear and breakers.
      There actually isn't much copper at all in a charger. It isn't like they are stuffed full of big coils or miles of heavy gauge wire; a great deal of the enclosure is devoted to cooling the gates and drivers, which are themselves relatively small.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Still cleaner per mile driven than the average car. Also much easier to make dramatic reductions in those emissions because it's a point source instead of a distributed network. Easier to maintain those controls, much more likely to actually be done...

But hey, don't let facts and thought intrude on your bubble.
      Luckily for me most consumers are in MY bubble, and the overwhelming majority of customers will
      continue to purchase the ICE for a long time to come, long after I'm dead and gone.

Seems like it's you that is the odd man out.

But I have to say I am NOT against buying an electric car, but I am NOT going to buy one that can't match the
      practicality and value of the proven ICE vehicles.
      Last edited by dr whos it; 06-17-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Luckily for me most consumers are in MY bubble, and the overwhelming majority of customers will
      continue to purchase the ICE for a long time to come, long after I'm dead and gone.

Ahhhh, the delicious taste of egocentrism. Don't worry about facts, just don't rock my boat.

Okay Golfy
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Ahhhh, the delicious taste of egocentrism. Don't worry about facts, just don't rock my boat.
      When it comes to the car market, I've got the facts correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Like it or not, you will need to travel through ghettos to get to your destination. And thus, you will spend 40 minutes alone in your car in a shady place at midnight like I do on occasion because you need to charge.

"maaaang, this is a nice part of town"

such a good game back in the day!
      praise the lowered

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Quote Originally Posted by Form Ocean View Post
      Yo Dawg, I heard you need to charge your EV, so I put some watts in Watts.

/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to the car market, I've got the facts correct.

I'm talking about costs of ownership, not the environment.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      But the poor don't drive electric cars?

I know this idea is good for the "feelz" but in reality its just another pointless penalty to VW from the climate cultists. These stations will go unused. Next Commiefornia will have VW giving out free e-Golfs to the poor just to use these things....
      Climate cultists? Let me guess, you believe climate change is a farce

Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      Climate cultists? Let me guess, you believe climate change is a farce
      U mad again?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      You can pick up some drugs or hookers while charging.
      Here in the hell hole of Chicago, you'll probably get shot dead before that ever happens.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Who that lives in the ghetto would want an electric car and be a sitting duck while charging?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Looks like the posters in comfortable white suburbia & flyover Murica are confused as what low income neighborhoods are like. It's not all Chicago gun violence.
      All neighborhoods in California are extremely dangerous. Worse than Chicago. There are gangs everywhere. And we have earthquakes every single day. Dozens of them. If it's not raining raging flood waters, the sun is so hot you get cancer immediately. Seriously. I beg everyone to stay away from California. Attempt no landings there.

Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      All neighborhoods in California are extremely dangerous. Worse than Chicago. There are gangs everywhere. And we have earthquakes every single day. Dozens of them. If it's not raining raging flood waters, the sun is so hot you get cancer immediately. Seriously. I beg everyone to stay away from California. Attempt no landings there.
      Don't forget about all of the raging wildfires.

I think this is a good thing. Electric cars generally have a lower cost of ownership than gas ones. Sure, there's a mechanic in every neighborhood (or a handy car person who doesn't mind working on friends and family rides)...but it would allow for a better quality of life by avoiding the inconvenience, unexpected expense, and frustration that a broken car causes.

This is especially true if you're lower income and may not have as many resources to help you out transportation wise if your car's down and out but you absolutely have to get to work.

Sure, these may not exactly be desirable neighborhoods... but if the push for electric vehicles is going to happen, a relatively evenly distributed charging network is a must. Both for the people living there, and the people from the suburbs driving through.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast