You've been Hennescrewed: Bad Pictures From a Small Town Edition
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You've been Hennescrewed: Bad Pictures From a Small Town Edition

I was riding toward the Allegheny National Forest today and happened through Titusville, PA. I was heading to a model train show and passed a former Ford dealership when I spotted a wing that gave me flashbacks to my childhood. I spun around and peered through the glass and saw a Hennessy Venom TT. I took a couple terrible images to share. It was such an odd sight to behold tucked away in this semi-abandoned store front in the middle of nowhere NW PA.

Here it is emblazoned with "Fasted Viper in the World" decals touting a 8.93 1/4 mile at 150 MPH.

Sorry for the horrific image quality. It was so bright, and there was an insane amount of glare off the dirty windows.

I've never seen one before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I've never seen one before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nor had I until today. I'd love to find the Car & Driver review of the thing from the late 90s. I think I remember that being something that happened. Maybe someone has a copy in their archives...

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Are you into any particular scale? Or vintage stuff? Or just going to look?
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

So what's the story on this dealer? I think most people are familiar with what a train wreck Hennessey became, but how does a Viper like that end up at an abandoned Ford dealer, and why didn't Ford (or whoever) take the car when they left the dealership to rot?

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Are you into any particular scale? Or vintage stuff? Or just going to look?
      I've been pondering an HO build, but I don't know.... I'm spoiled by having 3.5 months off per summer and go a bit stir crazy, however once September hits, I'm crazy busy. I can't tell if this is just a passing phse, or something I'm super in to. I had an HO as a kid, and the nostalgia is strong. I'd say I'm committed enough to go to model train shows, so that says something.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      So what's the story on this dealer? I think most people are familiar with what a train wreck Hennessey became, but how does a Viper like that end up at an abandoned Ford dealer, and why didn't Ford (or whoever) take the car when they left the dealership to rot?
      I'm going to dig into that. I think they just moved. Here is a link to the location and you can see the Viper in the window. This was before they closed up shop, and the place looks wildly worse off these days. I can try to track down the owner and get some real pics if folks are curious. I'd love to know the story.

https://goo.gl/maps/AYdnSBWqFzE2

Schwab's Ford doesn't seem to be operating any longer, so perhaps they were bought out. There is a nearby Ford dealer. I want to solve this.

There is a an article in the Titusville Herald from 2003 about meeting John Hennessey at Viper Days. The article is behind a pay wall...
      Last edited by x(why)z; 06-17-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      I've been pondering an HO build, but I don't know.... I'm spoiled by having 3.5 months off per summer and go a bit stir crazy, however once September hits, I'm crazy busy. I can't tell if this is just a passing phse, or something I'm super in to. I had an HO as a kid, and the nostalgia is strong. I'd say I'm committed enough to go to model train shows, so that says something.
      I've collected O gauge Lionel and Kline since I was a child, but my new focus is doing a G gauge live steam garden railroad with indoor/outdoor pass through and indoor full size switching operation. Of course due to the size of G gauge doing that requires renovating the house...so that's the hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

I'm going to dig into that. I think they just moved. Here is a link to the location and you can see the Viper in the window. This was before they closed up shop, and the place looks wildly worse off these days. I can try to track down the owner and get some real pics if folks are curious. I'd love to know the story.

https://goo.gl/maps/AYdnSBWqFzE2

Schwab's Ford doesn't seem to be operating any longer, so perhaps they were bought out. There is a nearby Ford dealer. I want to solve this.

There is a an article in the Titusville Herald from 2003 about meeting John Hennessey at Viper Days. The article is behind a pay wall...
      Jesus, a TINY ford dealer, a steel mill, a VFW, and nicely cut grass? Doesn't get any more AMURR'CA than that.

You know I've driven past this dealership my entire life and never once noticed that car Last time I was by was probably december. My grandparents live out in that area, there's a lot of rare and unique cars spread throughout.

tell us more about your CB1100. I'm interested in them

As cool as that Viper is I am more intrigued by the model train show. It is rare to find people that are actually into model trains, well in real life that is. Building a model railroad gets expensive real quick and you never have enough space. I still have some German Marklin and Roco HO and HOe stuff in a box. Haven't thought about it in years till this thread. I know this is not the Model Train Lounge, but I would be interested in seeing some pics from the show.

Back when 650 hp cars were naturally aspirated.

That is a Venom 650R, right?
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Quote Originally Posted by devianb View Post
      As cool as that Viper is I am more intrigued by the model train show. It is rare to find people that are actually into model trains, well in real life that is. Building a model railroad gets expensive real quick and you never have enough space. I still have some German Marklin and Roco HO and HOe stuff in a box. Haven't thought about it in years till this thread. I know this is not the Model Train Lounge, but I would be interested in seeing some pics from the show.
      I had some Marklin Z scale, that was some neat stuff

That town also has a motel using old rolling stock for "rooms"

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...!4d-79.6772913
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      I've collected O gauge Lionel and Kline since I was a child, but my new focus is doing a G gauge live steam garden railroad with indoor/outdoor pass through and indoor full size switching operation. Of course due to the size of G gauge doing that requires renovating the house...so that's the hold up.
      That sounds awesome. I think I'm going to take the plunge once I officially own the house I'm currently renting. Late summer hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Jesus, a TINY ford dealer, a steel mill, a VFW, and nicely cut grass? Doesn't get any more AMURR'CA than that.
      It's so American. Like quintessential Americana at every turn. Small town diners, football stadiums, rockets and missiles as signs. It's glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      You know I've driven past this dealership my entire life and never once noticed that car Last time I was by was probably december. My grandparents live out in that area, there's a lot of rare and unique cars spread throughout.
      If you're ever rolling through and want to grab a beer check out Voodoo in Meadville. And let me know!

That's awesome. I didn't get any pics, but I'll head back next weekend and take some. My wife likely has a bunch from various railroad shows and museums that we tend to visit every summer. We were just at another one near the PA/Ohio border a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      That town also has a motel using old rolling stock for "rooms"

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...!4d-79.6772913
      I'm going to book a night! They have a fully operational railroad that tours the Appalachian landscape. I can't even wait. I would have done it today, but my wife is out of town and she'd be pissed if she missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
      tell us more about your CB1100. I'm interested in them
      It is motorcycling nirvana. I'll write a full review and post it up. It's fast, stable, comfortable, handles superbly and predictably, and turns heads wherever it goes. I can't recommend CBs enough. Absolutely superb bikes. I can dust most 600s and 750s, but without the flinty ride of a sport bike. The riding position is quite good and the power band is astonishing. It pulls from 3000 all the way to it's 8500 redline. It has a noticeable on-cam moment about 4500 and absolutely moves out when it hits it. I've only hit redline once. Thing scares me up top, and even in second you're well into "go directly to jail" territory on a country road. If you're semi-local, come give it a spin. I'm happy to let folks ride it as everyone who hops on is a convert.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Back when 650 hp cars were naturally aspirated.

That is a Venom 650R, right?
      Venom 1000! Twin turbo. Oh lawd.

Venom 1000! Twin turbo. Oh lawd.
      How can you tell?
      Looks just like a 650 to me.

EDIT,.

ok... I see the fender sticker now.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

I would've left it behind too. That nose is just hideous.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

I was heading to a model train show
      Have you been to the Choo Choo Barn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I would've left it behind too. That nose is just hideous.
      But people don't notice your male pattern baldness with such a nose.

(only old men can afford such cars joke)

I'm thinking maybe the owner decided to close up shop but owned the building and just keeps his toys in there. Cheaper then getting a storage facility or doing an addition.

That sounds awesome. I think I'm going to take the plunge once I officially own the house I'm currently renting. Late summer hopefully.
      I had some HO scale stuff growing up, but have decided on N scale when I finally settle on a house. I inherited my dad's Lionel collection, so I'd like to do eventually do something with those too.

back to regularly scheduled T(rain)CL activities
      welcome to the layer cake

It is motorcycling nirvana. I'll write a full review and post it up. It's fast, stable, comfortable, handles superbly and predictably, and turns heads wherever it goes. I can't recommend CBs enough. Absolutely superb bikes. I can dust most 600s and 750s, but without the flinty ride of a sport bike. The riding position is quite good and the power band is astonishing. It pulls from 3000 all the way to it's 8500 redline. It has a noticeable on-cam moment about 4500 and absolutely moves out when it hits it. I've only hit redline once. Thing scares me up top, and even in second you're well into "go directly to jail" territory on a country road. If you're semi-local, come give it a spin. I'm happy to let folks ride it as everyone who hops on is a convert.
      was afraid you would say something like that - I'd like a 2nd bike with those characteristics.

Typically I'm not an inline 4 fan, the vibes and sound aren't my favorite. Are there any aftermarket exhausts for the CB that avoid that I4 buzz?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast