Buy a Pentastar ChryCo minivan he said...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buy a Pentastar ChryCo minivan he said...

... "Sure, they might not be as reliable as the Japanese rivals, but they're not that bad!" he said...

Happy early father's day to me!

While hauling the brood around today, the transmission pretty much completely lost the ability to move the car. Engine would rev freely and every once and a while the torque converter would kinda engage around 3000 RPM. Eventually even that stopped and I was dead in the water. Fortunately I was close to an independent shop so the guys helped me push the car into their lot and read codes for me. The main one they pulled was a P0944 which is:

P0944: "Hydraulic Pressure Unit Loss of Pressure"

My guess is it's either a pump or solenoid issue, but I've probably also roasted the torque converter at this point trying to limp it around. So now it sits in the dealer lot, waiting for a tech to check it out on Monday. The good news is that the car has a 100k powertrain warranty. The bad news is the car has 103,xxx miles (3 days from retirement!). My hope is that ChryCo will work with me on at least some goodwill as I've been complaining about the transmission in the car since we bought the thing, and I had a fluid and filter service done less than 1 year ago. We shall see. I always knew the 62TE was the achilles' heel in these things, but I was hoping for a few more years of service. The 4 speed in my old van was still chugging along at 180k when I sold it.

On a bit more puckery note, this happened on the ride to the dealer:

Dude gets a D for knowing how to tie down on a flatbed, C- TOPS.

Sooo, anyone have an in with FCA customer service? Schnell? Should I just put it out to pasture in Crispy/1985Jetta's lot upstate?

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      This is the most Chrysler thing that could happen to you...transmission blows 3k miles out of warranty

Is this the 3.8 liter? If so, trade it in now before it throws a rod, and buy a Honda/Toyota like you should have originally.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      This is the most Chrysler thing that could happen to you...transmission blows 3k miles out of warranty

Is this the 3.8 liter? If so, trade it in now before it throws a rod, and buy a Honda/Toyota like you should have originally.
      3.6L pentastar. I'd probably have ponied up for an oddy 10 years ago if they had stow&go. Honestly I got enough $ in free furniture this week to cover the cost of a rebuilt trans if I need it, all thanks to me being able to swoop in and pick it up without having to drop off the 2nd row at home. That plus the 40% cheaper transaction prices for the same year and mileage makes it hard to stray. I wonder why they go for so much cheaper...

For the record my 4th gen T&C was a 3.8L and the engine was pretty bulletproof. Guess I got lucky then.

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Is this the 3.8 liter?
      Come on dude it's literally in the title
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Sorry op but we told you so

Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Come on dude it's literally in the title
      arent the 3.8 and 4.0 that predates the 3.6 also pentastars?
      Last edited by fixmy59bug; 06-18-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      ... "Sure, they might not be as reliable as the Japanese rivals, but they're not that bad!" he said...

Sooo, anyone have an in with FCA customer service? Schnell? Should I just put it out to pasture in Crispy/1985Jetta's lot upstate?
      Ugh, yeah, Happy Father's Day.

I think his favorite contact is a guy named Marvin, but all Marv ever did was send stupid form letters.

Most vehicles have their Achille's tendon. Didn't Honda have AC issues? I think they also had their own trans issues back in the early 00's. Not sure about Toyota. It's always something, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      arent the 3.8 and 4.0 that predates the 3.6 also pentastars?
      Nope, those were entirely different engines. The Pentastar was developed to replace ALL of the older V6 engines.

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Weird thing is I don't frequently hear about the 62TE straight up failing. I've heard them throw that code due to leaks and faulty pumps though. Hopefully nothing got ruined while you were limping it around.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Bummer, sorry to hear that. Weird thing is I don't frequently hear about the 62TE straight up failing. I've heard them throw that code due to leaks and faulty pumps though. Hopefully nothing got ruined while you were limping it around.
      Yeah, they're pretty crappy in their normal operation (hard shifts, especially in "econ" mode, etc.) but outright failures are weird. I'm wondering if it's something as simple as a bad solenoid block or if it could even be something weird like catastrophic failure of the filter they replaced last year. Guess we'll see what happens come Monday.

Also makes me wonder when these guys actually started being manufactured out of spec: http://www.leftlanenews.com/fca-reca...ump-92598.html

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar

anyone have an in with FCA customer service? Schnell?
      i bet schnell could get you in direct contact with their legal department to save you a couple months of phone calls

Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      Nope, those were entirely different engines. The Pentastar was developed to replace ALL of the older V6 engines.

AKA Phoenix, which should be a diamler Based V6 with cheapened parts

the car has 103,xxx miles
      Ours was retired at 97k when it started randomly shifting into neutral from drive.

It wasn't a vehicle that I felt comfortable taking past 100k. That low cost of entry does have its drawbacks.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

No one said that.

My hope is that ChryCo will work with me on at least some goodwill
      I have bad news for you, bro. They wouldn't goodwill a $200 bluetooth module in my car that went kaput 1 month past warranty. Fortunately, the rest of the car has been solid, but that's a reason why I won't be returning to a FCA vehicle when I buy my next car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      I have bad news for you, bro. They wouldn't goodwill a $200 bluetooth module in my car that went kaput 1 month past warranty. Fortunately, the rest of the car has been solid, but that's a reason why I won't be returning to a FCA vehicle when I buy my next car.
      wow. Volvo goodwilled an engine 50 miles out of warranty for us.
      The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts - Derek Kreindler

The bad news is the car has 103,xxx miles (3 days from retirement!). My hope is that ChryCo will work with me on at least some goodwill as I've been complaining about the transmission in the car since we bought the thing, and I had a fluid and filter service done less than 1 year ago. We shall see.
      that sucks about this happening, but if you brought up an issue/concern to them in the past, while under warranty and they couldn't figure it out, then they should work with you. I had a concern about my Jeep, and I was 1K away from warranty going away. They told me since they couldn't figure it out, they will mark it as a concern so that if it goes out after they warranty, they can still fix it since the issue started before.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Sorry op but we told you so

You didn't tell me because. I. Never. Asked. so there! Look who's laughing now! hopefully you, because I'm not laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      that sucks about this happening, but if you brought up an issue/concern to them in the past, while under warranty and they couldn't figure it out, then they should work with you. I had a concern about my Jeep, and I was 1K away from warranty going away. They told me since they couldn't figure it out, they will mark it as a concern so that if it goes out after they warranty, they can still fix it since the issue started before.
      I would hope that's the case. That's part of the reason I started the paper trail a couple years ago. Nothing from the service dept so far today, hoping to hear from them soon.

How much did you save vs. going with a comparable Honda/Toyota minivan? Was it enough to cover a rebuilt/replacement trans?

If it makes you feel better, my cousin's Odyssey is on it's 3rd transmission. OK OK to be fair, its a '02? '03? Oddy which is the worst of the worst when it comes to V6 Honda transmissions. But hey, just goes to show that not even those guys are infallible.

I'd still rock a T&C/Caravan (or now Pacifica) if my wife ever warmed up to the idea of a minivan.

You didn't tell me because. I. Never. Asked. so there! Look who's laughing now! hopefully you, because I'm not laughing.
      Thread title misleading. Move to ban.

I vote dump it. I have a 2010 3.8 that I should have known better, but it was cheaper than even the other fca vans, and the stow and go was great for moving twice. Last 3 months I've changed suspension twice and I'm feeling some hiccups, just need to chase down a few rattles before more appear and I can get most of my money back.

I'll probably be going back to a smaller car after this.

I bet you were hoping your van to roll off the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      How much did you save vs. going with a comparable Honda/Toyota minivan? Was it enough to cover a rebuilt/replacement trans?
      Easily. a rebuilt transmission installed should run me $2500, although if it's something like a solenoid/valve body and/or torque converter I can just get mine rebuilt for even cheaper (that's the hope if FCA won't help out). The equivalent Odyssey or Sienna books for like $7500 more, although I didn't look around as hard for a deal at the time. Figure a minimum of a $5000 premium, and they still don't have Stow & Go. Now those same vehicles would be worth a good bit more on the other end, but our plan was to drive this thing into the ground and let all of our hauling of large things and increasingly large children take its toll. I'm not sure if this changes that situation or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Thread title misleading. Move to ban.
      Hey, I just tell other people what to do with their hard earned money.

our plan was to drive this thing into the ground and let all of our hauling of large things and increasingly large children take its toll. I'm not sure if this changes that situation or not.
      I vote keep it. Like I said, my cousin elected to rebuild the transmission on his Odyssey twice. They bought it when their oldest was 4 years old, and now she's just finishing her junior year in high school .

They've been living in Singapore for the last few years, but have kept the van stateside for when they visit. If the transmission goes again, well then the van isn't worth much anyway and it'll probably get scrapped. But until then, it hardly costs them anything to keep around.

In your case, even if a rebuilt tranny lasts you another 100k, the van's gonna have 200k on it anyway and won't be worth much. $2500 seems like a pretty small price to pay to get another 100k out of it, vs. ponying up for another used van (potentially with its own issues) and trying to sell this one with a busted tranny.

Easily. a rebuilt transmission installed should run me $2500, although if it's something like a solenoid/valve body and/or torque converter I can just get mine rebuilt for even cheaper (that's the hope if FCA won't help out). The equivalent Odyssey or Sienna books for like $7500 more, although I didn't look around as hard for a deal at the time. Figure a minimum of a $5000 premium, and they still don't have Stow & Go. Now those same vehicles would be worth a good bit more on the other end, but our plan was to drive this thing into the ground and let all of our hauling of large things and increasingly large children take its toll. I'm not sure if this changes that situation or not.
      I'm actually considering a used van myself, but my concern across all of them is that their brakes and suspension just isn't up to snuff for all the weight those things bear. They really need something approaching truck underpinnings, IMO.
      And as far as "running it in to the ground", if FCA products reach that point a lot sooner than anything else, maybe the premium is worth it for a Sienna/Ody. I dunno.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast