Cadillac CTS Wagon thinking about getting one. Is there anything I need to look out for?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Cadillac CTS Wagon thinking about getting one. Is there anything I need to look out for?

Always liked the CTS wagon and now that I can find a used one I can afford. Anybody have one that hates or loves their wagon and why.

Blind spots

I used to love these way back when... I remember thinking it's preferable to get the 3.6L V6 over the 3.0L, but I'm sure neither is very exciting per se... I think they still look good.

Typical GM, large outside/small inside use of interior space. As good as the 2nd gen CTS was, the third/current is better in every way...though that's moot since no wagon obviously.

I'm sure these can be had for next to nothing so there's a value there at least. Can be had with AWD too, so that's a plus if you need it.
      Current: 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (his), 2016 BMW 3 Series GT (hers)
      Past: 2008 Honda Civic Si (sold), 2012 Mustang GT (sold), 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (sold), 2001 VW Golf 1.8T (sold)

TCL only likes the V.

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by S4cabriofox View Post
      TCL only likes the V.
      Not true at all. I'd love to have a CTS4 wagon for the wife to drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

V wagons in 6mt must be great cars, because people still want crazy money for them.

X....

No 6MT Vagon no care
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      No 6MT Vagon no care
      What's interesting, is that you can still actually find a 2nd gen CTS non-V with a 6 speed manual. But they are rare, and sedan only.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

The CTS-V Wagon is called the unicorn for a reason. Only 1500 produced, only 514 were manual. The reason they hold their value so well is the rarity coupled with the fact that 556hp 6 speed wagons are much more popular with the enthusiast crowd than the people who could afford $70k wagons. High demand, low supply. I wanted one but couldn't find one when I was looking.

I'd avoid pre 2009. The timing chain isn't a gamble, it is an eventuality and it's about $3-4k to fix outside of the warranty, which I'd imagine most of that age are by now. I had an 09 sedan cts4 3.6 which was pretty fun to drive when it worked. Unfortunately it was the single most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. I hope they wouldn't all be that bad, i see enough on the road still, but it makes me very cautious. Definitely get an independent inspection done before buying one.

Other specific things to note or watch it for- the keyless entry door handles fail when water gets into the housing and it's about $400 per handle. There is next to no storage in the cts. Carbon builds up fast in these. They eat oil.

If you find a good wagon that you are confident in it's upkeep and reliability, go for it. If I'd gotten the wagon over the sedan i may have put up with the issues a bit longer.
      Last edited by SlowMyke; 06-18-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      What's interesting, is that you can still actually find a 2nd gen CTS non-V with a 6 speed manual. But they are rare, and sedan only.
      They pop up for sale every now and then, usually at a discount vs the automatic ones. It's a tough sale because well, manual CTS V6.

I think it would have been much more desirable with the LS3.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Some owners have had serious rust issues on the wagon body shell. That would give me real pause and I'd examine it carefully.

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52794

Otherwise I'd second the "poor use of space" comment. Love the looks, but if practicality is your mission, look elsewhere.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      third/current is better in every way...though that's moot since no wagon obviously.
      I think that's the biggest drawback for me. the 3rd gen cars are just sooooo much better. The V is a hoot in its own right, but the standard spec cars aren't anything special IMO. I know you can't get a wagon in the 3rd gen, but even so. I'd go so far as to say that if a 2nd gen auto V and 3rd gen V-sport were the same price, I'd pick the V-sport 10 times out of 10.

For the size of the car overall its the most cramped wagon I've ever sat in. I'm 6'2 and 220 as a reference.