Said yes to a Track Day, now I need to inform my car.......
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Results 1 to 17 of 17
    1. #1

      Said yes to a Track Day, now I need to inform my car.......

      So.. there's a track day coming up at the new Area27 track in Oliver, and I'm pretty determined to participate.

      I have a '85 Camaro Z28, and the more I think about it the more I worry.

      Starting my checklist to make the car ready includes:

      Battery Tiedown - Currently a bungee cord, I assume this is not sufficient.
      Seats - Seats are pretty worn out, I mean they work, but would they be legal?
      Brakes - Check all pads/rotors, if they're not pretty much new I'll get some quality compound pads.. and bleed the brakes with new fluid


      The thing that worries me is that there is a small oil leak on the front of the engine somewhere, leaving a dime-size puddle when parked overnight... I would assume they are very careful of leaking cars, and for good reason... or just don't park on the track? lol

      The car is not my daily, it's just my weekend car to tinker with to keep me busy (and broke apparently).

      I've just done the transmission and rear end, so I know those are 100% good. Tires are pretty new and excellent shape. Engine is a 350 with Edlebrock intake, carb, headers, not that fast but decent torque...

      I've never raced in my life but I grew up on a racetrack and was in my Dad's pit crew, so I'm a little (lot) stoked to actually have the opportunity to get on the track. (And have it paid for by my company )

      What do you think? Just buckle down and start crossing things off the list?

      Only picture I have of the car really:

    2. #2
      Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Foothills of the Adirondacks.
      Posts
      18,171
      Make sure everything is in excellent working condition, hoses, belts, ball joints, etc...

      Track days are hard on the car.

      I swap my street pads/rotor with track pads/rotors (HPS Blue). Having above average brakes on the track is more fun, than having brake fade.

      Since you've never been on a track, see if they provide instructors to go with you for a lap or two.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

    3. #3
      Definitely fix the tie down- that's a common failure point for tech.

      Besides the other issues you mentioned, id nut and bolt the whole car (check everything is torqued down properly). As for the oil leak, sounds a bit borderline. Does it leave drops after an hour of sitting or is it only when parked overnight?

    4. #4
      Fresh brake fluid is a must. A lot of people miss that and fail check in.

    5. #5
      I know from general knowledge about tech inspections that the battery tie-down is something I *must* fix. Brake fluid also who knows when that was changed last, so gonna do that. Obviously will check all pads, all fluids are checked and good...

      Maybe get an alignment?

    6. #6
      Member someguy123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2005
      Location
      The Financial Lounge
      Posts
      17,325
      How many murders does it have?

    7. #7
      No actual murders, but it's nickname is The Wifebeater

    8. #8
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2010
      Location
      wilmington DE
      Posts
      3,361
      cooling, make sure your system is up for it.
      Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    9. #9
      Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Foothills of the Adirondacks.
      Posts
      18,171
      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      cooling, make sure your system is up for it.
      An oil cooler is your friend
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

    10. #10
      Member O'doyle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2002
      Location
      Buffalo, NY
      Posts
      286

      Said yes to a Track Day, now I need to inform my car.......

      Like mentioned before Brake fluid, spend the money on the good stuff like Motul rbf 660, or Castrol SRF. The latter is real expensive for brake fluid, but brakes that fade are no fun either.

      I've done plenty of track days, and even the awesome brakes on my 997turbo reminded me that the fluid was due for a change, I could do about 15 laps and then I had to come in to cool the brakes.

      X....

    11. #11
      Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      6,916
      Oh hey, I had an 85 Z28 once.

      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      cooling, make sure your system is up for it.
      Oh yeah, that's definitely a weak spot on thirdgens.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    12. #12
      You have to fix any fluid leaks before taking a car to the track.

      If your car dumps fluids on the track, it could be extremely bad, not just for you, but for the other people on the track as well.

      I've seen the aftermath of when a car dumps its coolant on the track and a driver had to be helicoptered out (coolant is very slick, can't brake, so bad things happen).

    13. #13
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      You have to fix any fluid leaks before taking a car to the track.

      If your car dumps fluids on the track, it could be extremely bad, not just for you, but for the other people on the track as well.

      I've seen the aftermath of when a car dumps its coolant on the track and a driver had to be helicoptered out (coolant is very slick, can't brake, so bad things happen).
      Completely agree. My fluid leak is just one of those nagging slow drips that I intend to fix, but this has definitely given me a strict timeline... and I don't want to spend the money and then get turned away at tech inspection

      I'll get the car on jackstands this week and have a good degrease/pressure wash and get the areas all clean so I can see next week if/where it may still leak.

    14. #14
      Your worn out seats will be legal, but youll be sliding all over the car trying to hold yourself in place.

      You may want to pick up one of these. It locks the seat belt into full retracted mode, and holds you in place better. Its the next best thing to bolstered race seats. Ive ended track days with a limp before from using my left knee to hold myself tight against the door. This prevents it.



      https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performa.../dp/B0010E7OB8

    15. #15
      Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      19,850


      A lot of you guys are acting like this guy is going to go out in the novice run group and start smashing track records.

      Just make sure everything is in good stock working order (fresh fluids) and enjoy yourself. I wouldn't worry about the small oil leak but keep an eye on it and maybe park near the edge of the paved paddock. (I've never seen a car fail unless it's leaving a trail of oil behind it while running. I'm looking at you, most aircooled 911s. But this can depend on how strict your track is.)

      The most diehard car guy who has watched all the videos, read all the books was still comically slow his first time out. Upgraded fluids, pads, tires, etc. is stuff you'll sort out as you go if you get hooked. Otherwise it's just wasted money.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

    16. #16
      Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      7,545
      Quote Originally Posted by JRH2009 View Post
      Your worn out seats will be legal, but youll be sliding all over the car trying to hold yourself in place.

      You may want to pick up one of these. It locks the seat belt into full retracted mode, and holds you in place better. Its the next best thing to bolstered race seats. Ive ended track days with a limp before from using my left knee to hold myself tight against the door. This prevents it.

      I've never used a CG-Lock, but I've heard nothing but good things about them for the track. They tend to weigh your seatbelt down a bit (makes it harder to retract when you unbuckle), so it might get annoying if you try to leave it on all the time.

    17. #17
      Member sicklyscott's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 2002
      Location
      Metuchen, NJ
      Posts
      3,701
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post


      A lot of you guys are acting like this guy is going to go out in the novice run group and start smashing track records.

      Just make sure everything is in good stock working order (fresh fluids) and enjoy yourself. I wouldn't worry about the small oil leak but keep an eye on it and maybe park near the edge of the paved paddock. (I've never seen a car fail unless it's leaving a trail of oil behind it while running. I'm looking at you, most aircooled 911s. But this can depend on how strict your track is.)

      The most diehard car guy who has watched all the videos, read all the books was still comically slow his first time out. Upgraded fluids, pads, tires, etc. is stuff you'll sort out as you go if you get hooked. Otherwise it's just wasted money.
      Perfect response. Don't over think this. Your first time out you'll be using 50% of what your car can do. Check all your suspension points, maybe check bolt/nut torque, a set of better pads and new brake fluid, and check your cooling system. Be prepared to limp home a broken car though, and consider that a merit badge
      1980 911 SC - Black on Red
      Chronicles of my '80 SC: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...y-80-911-sc-91