Lies that customers use when buying a car
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 133
    1. #1
      Member Carson Fiber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2015
      Location
      The hell hole of Chicago
      Posts
      1,985

      Lies that customers use when buying a car

      So long ago, I was selling cars over at a Nissan/Mazda dealership, I forgot what it was like. All I know is I don't ever want to sell cars again, unless I happen to be selling my own car on Craigslist or whatever. At least everything was honest then. On the other hand, I found out what a salesman who is disillusioned with selling cars told Motor Trend though about how the car buying public happen to be snakes too. I guess I'm no snake then, since I never used any of these tactics when buying a car;

      1. Lies About Their Intentions. What do you say when you go to a dealership and the salesperson walks up? “Just looking,” right? People always say things like “Oh, we just started” or “We’re not buying today” when, in fact, they’ve been shopping for six weeks and have every intention of buying a car that day as soon as they find the right car at the right price. They just don’t want the salesperson to know it.

      2. Lies About Their Credit or Anything Financial. Some people say they have “excellent credit” as if somehow forgetting their bankruptcy four years ago or their two repos. They’ll say they have a 700 Beacon when, in fact, their score is in the 580s. They’ll say they can only afford $300 a month, max, that’s it, not a cent more, then leave and buy a car for $600 a month at another dealership. They’ll say they earn $2,400 a month, but when you get their paystubs it only adds up to $1,800 a month. And so on.

      3. Lies About Their Trade. Believe it or not, some people actually try to conceal defects, both large and small, in the cars they trade in. GASP! Yes, it’s true. From claiming that their car has never been in an accident (which is quickly revealed by the CarFax we pull on every vehicle) to trying to cover up the fact that it needs a new transmission, some people lie like rugs when it comes to their trade-in.

      4. Lies About “The Great Deal Down The Street.” This is a personal favorite. People are constantly telling me they can buy “the exact same car down the street for $____ less” (fill in the blank with a ridiculous number). Or “The folks down the street gave me $10,000 for my trade,” when the car is really only worth $5,000. And the question every salesperson who hears this wants to ask is “So why are you here???” The answer is because the great deal down the street doesn’t exist.

      5. Lies About What Their Salesperson Said. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard customers tell managers things such as “But your salesperson promised me 1.9%!” No experienced salesperson promises anybody an interest rate. Or a price. Or a payment. However, sometimes, people hear what they want to hear. They become convinced they were promised something when, in fact, they weren’t promised anything at all. This is complicated by the fact that, yes, some unscrupulous or inexperienced salespeople DO sometimes promise things they cannot deliver. That means that every time a customer makes a claim such as this it must be handled very, very carefully because it might just be true.

      After all this, what’s my conclusion? My conclusion is that, unfortunately, everyone involved in a car sale will sometimes lie, given the right circumstances. It isn’t just the car salesperson who lies. And it isn’t that all “buyers are liars,” which is what some salespeople believe. It’s all of us. I think the reason lying happens so frequently in car sales is, any kind of negotiation involving large sums of money invites people to lie—especially when they believe the other side is lying to them. That tends to loosen our inhibitions about lying. Maybe going to a fixed price system would eliminate this. Or maybe not. I don’t know. Despite becoming a lot less trusting over the years, I still feel that most of the people I work with, and most of the people I sell to, are basically good, honest people. When I meet people for the first time, I always give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they do the same for me. On the other hand, I never give anyone all my trust, and neither should you. As Barney Fife learned the hard way, even sweet little old ladies sometimes lie when trying to sell a car. So, as the saying goes: “Trust … but always verify.”
      http://www.motortrend.com/news/car-s...ium&utm_source
      Last edited by Carson Fiber; 06-18-2017 at 08:11 PM.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

    2. #2
      Member Power5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2001
      Location
      Cincinnati, Ohio
      Posts
      8,077
      Yes, some people lie. I am going out on a limb and saying the number of lying salespeople greatly outnumber the buyers.

      And saying "we just started looking" or "I'm not buying today" is exactly what I said at my first and second dealership and it was true at both. I had just started at both and was not buying at either. So again, this may be a line, like the sales guy "checking with his manager". Any sales guy should know what the car xan sell for that day.

    3. #3
      Yeah, this plays like the worlds smallest violin. I consider myself a very upfront and professional person when dealing with anyone regardless of business type or expectations of interaction going in.

      I can say atleast in my dealings I have only had one experience with a car purchase where the sales and finance person both engaged in a manner that was consistent the entire process, the rest were run of the mill "car dealership" experiences to almost outright fraud.


      When an industry as virtually committed well over 85% of itself to operating in a unprofessional manner then frankly at that point its every person for themselves.

    4. #4
      I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      17,119
      Quote Originally Posted by evantful View Post
      When an industry as virtually committed well over 85% of itself to operating in a unprofessional manner then frankly at that point its every person for themselves.
      This, + The Customer Is Always Right = dumb article.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

    5. #5
      Customers want to get the most out of their trade in, just as a dealer would sell you a base Mitsubishi Mirage for 100K if they could. Then at FI dept they try to sell you 1000$ antirust treatments. Proprietary replacement cost warranties. Financing insurance. Car starters at 4x the retail price elsewhere. Service plans. Then they'll scare the **** out of some customers explaining how complicated new cars are, and that a 3000$ extended warranty is a great investment cause "you never know when one of those expensive computers or that fancy transmission could fail"...

      This is run of the mill **** you'll see in 100% of dealers. Yep there's honest people that work in dealers, frankly, I couldn't give two ****s about complaints from people working in one of the most dishonest and corrupt business cultures in the country.

    6. #6
      Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      40,349
      I think everyone will agree that buying a car is a pain in the ass.

    7. #7
      I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      17,119
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I think everyone will agree that buying a car is a pain in the ass.
      It shouldn't have to be.

      I just bought a new John Deere tractor. The shopping went like this:

      Hi, I'd like to buy this tractor.

      OK, the price is 29,000.

      *Hands over check*

      Great! Did you need anything else?

      Nah, I'm good.

      Okay! Thanks for choosing Polen Implement!
      I spent less than 15 minutes in the dealership.

      Why can't I buy a pickup truck like that, and spend less than 15 minutes in the truck dealer?
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

    8. #8
      Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 1999
      Location
      Chez Quis Restaurant
      Posts
      100,105
      Quote Originally Posted by evantful View Post
      When an industry as virtually committed well over 85% of itself to operating in a unprofessional manner then frankly at that point its every person for themselves.
      Arbitrary percentage is arbitrary. In all my time working at and running a dealership, as well as now managing an entire region's worth of dealerships, I can tell you that dealers are exactly as honest--if not more so--than their customers. Reputation is paramount in dealing with luxury toys, and f--ing over a customer for a quick sale is not part of the playbook.

      If you don't like the way a particular dealership is run, go to a different one. If they're all crappy to you, then it might be time to look in the mirror.


      "You run into an @sshole in the morning, you ran into an @sshole. But if you run into @ssholes all day long--you're the @sshole."

      --Raylan Givens



      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      It shouldn't have to be.
      xMillion
      I unbanned Patrikman.

      I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

      You're all welcome.

    9. #9
      40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      33,998
      This is precisely why I only buy used cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    10. #10
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This is precisely why I only buy used cars.
      Yeah because that's even better. Close to two years ago I sold a MINI Cooper S because it was eating up money for parts at an alarming rate. Sell it while it still runs and let it be someone else's headache.

    11. #11
      40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      33,998
      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      Yeah because that's even better. Close to two years ago I sold a MINI Cooper S because it was eating up money for parts at an alarming rate. Sell it while it still runs and let it be someone else's headache.
      Yeah. It was a joke.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    12. #12
      Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Foothills of the Adirondacks.
      Posts
      18,157
      Cubicles are a lie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

    13. #13
      Member Carson Fiber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2015
      Location
      The hell hole of Chicago
      Posts
      1,985
      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      Yeah because that's even better. Close to two years ago I sold a MINI Cooper S because it was eating up money for parts at an alarming rate. Sell it while it still runs and let it be someone else's headache.
      Thanks for the warning there, for as much as I have thoughts of giving up on my reliable Fit for something a little more entertaining, I feel until my cash flow improves why tempt fate?
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

    14. #14
      Senior Member A.Wilder's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2003
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      27,036
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      It shouldn't have to be.

      I just bought a new John Deere tractor. The shopping went like this:



      I spent less than 15 minutes in the dealership.

      Why can't I buy a pickup truck like that, and spend less than 15 minutes in the truck dealer?
      because car manufacturers are selling a financial product that just happens to have a vehicle attached.
      signatures are annoying, right?

    15. #15
      Member Mag-X's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2008
      Location
      Vantucky, Warshington
      Posts
      727
      Even at good dealers, the whole process just sucks and everyone knows the car would be cheaper if not for the government protected middle man. I'd feel bad about lying to anyone buying a car from me privately, but I've got no problems with leading a dealer on or forgetting about a few broken things on my trade in. **** 'em. It's a game of each side trying to screw the other as much as possible.

      I'd never lie about my credit score or what I can afford though that's just stupid. They're going to find out.

      Doing research and being prepared helps cut out most of this crap on both sides. My last couple of car buying experiences have been much easier. Pre-approved by my bank and previous car paid off (so no trade-in or interest rate shenanigans.). Negotiate on price, not payments (I already know what I can afford, and it's none of their business.)

    16. #16
      Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      600
      Customers lie and salespeople tell alternative facts

    17. #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      It shouldn't have to be.

      I just bought a new John Deere tractor. The shopping went like this:



      I spent less than 15 minutes in the dealership.

      Why can't I buy a pickup truck like that, and spend less than 15 minutes in the truck dealer?
      Pretty sure the only reason it went like that is because something like a $30k tractor is likely just as negotiable as a car, but you just chose to pay sticker.

      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      I can tell you that dealers are exactly as honest--if not more so--than their customers.
      Biggest load of garbage in the thread. Tell that to the guy who told me that they "try to hold onto the '12s as long as possible" in July 2012 when I am buying my wife's Beetle and mention that '13s are around the corner. Give me a freaking break.

      There are some legitimately good sales guys out there, I've worked with a few of them (including shawshank on this board). However for every good one, there are 15-20 total losers who are only doing it because they failed at everything else at life, and of those 15-20, 10-15 of them will have less than one year of experience and have no idea what the hell they are even doing to begin with, since the turnover is so high.

      The dealer tries to make MAXIMUM profit off of me and will lie to my face to do it (see above), why should I give a sh!t about them? I'm not one to haggle all day over a couple hundred bucks (while the dealer always will because they don't have any concept of the value of time and would rather piss and moan and "ask their sales manager" and disappear for a half hour to suck down cancer sticks and put more grease in their hair and spend all day on a single sale over a couple hundred bucks when I could've been out the door hours prior and they could've been on to the next sale), but at the end of the day the dealer isn't my friend, and they sure as hell are not a charity. They are a money making machine, evidenced in how many backdoor tactics and sales incentives/programs there are which make it very difficult to know the true price of the vehicle (holdback/floorplan/unit bonuses/etc).

    18. #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      This, + The Customer Is Always Right = dumb article.
      Actually in life, the customer is usually an assh0le, this becomes immediately apparent if you ever work in a job that serves the public, even something benign like working at a grocery store. True in dealerships too a lot of the time, but the difference is the dealer is the bigger assh0le.

    19. #19
      I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      17,119
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Pretty sure the only reason it went like that is because something like a $30k tractor is likely just as negotiable as a car, but you just chose to pay sticker.

      .
      You don't negotiate on new farm machinery. The exception is MFG incentives. It's all very different from car sales. My question is why?
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

    20. #20
      Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,718
      To all those claiming that it is too difficult to buy a car: walk in, select car you like, note the price next to "MSRP" on the sticker, then write a check for said amount, plus sales tax, and please, go home happy.

      Oh wait, you want to negotiate a lower price?

    21. #21
      Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,718
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      You don't negotiate on new farm machinery. The exception is MFG incentives. It's all very different from car sales. My question is why?
      Pro tip: similar manufacturer incentives exist for all kinds of products and services, it's just not socially acceptable (or allowed practice at many retailers) to negotiate for things like jewelry, clothing, etc. Go into a high end men's fashion clothier and you can negotiate the purchase of a few suits to include a shirt and tie for free. Walk into Dillards and try that and they'll look at you crosseyed. Walk into a local farmers' market and you can negotiate the price of beef, chicken and pork all day long. Walk into Krogers or your regional grocery chain and they'll flip out if you try that.

      It's a convenience/social acceptance issue. People pay for the convenience of not haggling of most items. Big exceptions are cars and houses, but the reality is, outside of speciality models/trims/colors, cars really could be simple MSRP transactions. Most dealers would have no problem if everyone walked in, paid sticker and called it a day. Oh, but you think that the factory has extra incentives that you're 'owed', or the dealership is looking to move 10 more cars in order to get a bonus this month? Well, if you want that money you're going to have to work for it, just like anyone else. Don't think similar incentives exist for your local Shell, BP, McDonalds franchise? They do. Apple offers incentives to 3rd party retailers, Microsoft does to 3rd party Office 365 resellers. But almost everyone pays the standard MSRP price and rarely, if ever, does anyone negotiate.

    22. #22
      Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      3,718
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Actually in life, the customer is usually an assh0le, this becomes immediately apparent if you ever work in a job that serves the public, even something benign like working at a grocery store. True in dealerships too a lot of the time, but the difference is the dealer is the bigger assh0le.
      Anyone who has worked a retail, customer service or restaurant job knows that there is a large percentage of the populace who are just plain douchecanoes.

    23. #23
      Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      30,144
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      You don't negotiate on new farm machinery. The exception is MFG incentives. It's all very different from car sales. My question is why?
      Because farmers are civilized? Car sales never used to be this way either.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    24. #24
      Member nyexx's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2014
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      1,035
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      To all those claiming that it is too difficult to buy a car: walk in, select car you like, note the price next to "MSRP" on the sticker, then write a check for said amount, plus sales tax, and please, go home happy.

      Oh wait, you want to negotiate a lower price?
      This

    25. #25
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2010
      Location
      Oxford, Pa
      Posts
      1,207
      so are you saying these lies that customers are telling are taking advantage of poor car salesman that desperately want to sell a car? 😂 like car salesman taking advantage of desperate buyers like happens every day........

      Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast