Building a road race 1955 Plymouth belvedere. Need help with rim spacing........
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Building a road race 1955 Plymouth belvedere. Need help with rim spacing........

You guys are my last hope......

Any hot rod forum I join I get my threads deleted with no explanation. They just don't like my car for whatever reason.

I have this 55 four door car, early Mustang 302, ford 302 motor, mustang front disc brake swap, bagged front, 2" blocked rear, cherokee sway bar, 12v conversion, HID projectors, etc etc etc. Basically everything hot rod guys hate. Who cares though.

I snagged these 18x8 Mustang performance center rims off craigslist for $175 with 70% 225/95s on them. Offset is +40 on the rims. But I can't find a reliable source for the factory offset, best I can figure is 3-1/4 but my car wasn't purchased with stock rims on it to measure properly.

Of all the mods I did to the car, rim fitting is just completely foreign to me. Best I can figure, I need 2" spacers all around. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks boys!

The car will be matte black, side pipes going on, full back interior done.
      Last edited by Hitlers Revenge; 06-18-2017 at 12:23 PM.
      Before getting all butt hurt over my SN, It is the term used for the fuel line which runs in close proximity to the exhaust manifold on early air-cooled VWs. Prone to burst into flames and affectionately referred to as "Hitler's Revenge".

Umm...It doesn't really matter what the stock backspacing is. Put them on the car and take some measurements. Buy spacers according to those measurements. Not sure what you think the internet can do for you here.

Interesting car. I'm guessing that you might need to actually drop the rear axle to get those big wheels on, and possibly minitub it. If you're very unlucky you might even have to relocate the leaf springs to have any chance of making them fit. Good luck.
      Jag är Sverige!

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Is it the car or your terrible choice in usernames?
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Is it the car or your terrible choice in usernames?
      Both.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Both.
      Please see signature. As this is a german car website it makes perfect sense. Every susan is so sensitive around here. :roll eyes:

I was hoping there were members here with access to fitment manuals, auto part store workers, old hot rod heads, tire manufacturers, etc. Anyone with access to a reliable factory back spacing so I could then do the desk math on the spacers to buy as I am currently away from the car.

Tough crowd today.
      Before getting all butt hurt over my SN, It is the term used for the fuel line which runs in close proximity to the exhaust manifold on early air-cooled VWs. Prone to burst into flames and affectionately referred to as "Hitler's Revenge".

Quote Originally Posted by Hitlers Revenge View Post
      As this is a german car website it makes perfect sense.

Sorry.
      TCL is not a German car website.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Sorry.
      TCL is not a German car website.
      Sorry, my URL reads forums.vwvortex.com............

And my signature still reads accordingly.

Sorry, my URL reads forums.vwvortex.com............
      This has been covered countless times in the past.
      TCL was a separate website with its own portal which also had ties to several other website of which VWVortex was one.
      Over the years things have merged and been narrowed down to one main site but that does not mean that TCL is a German car forum.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Your username will bug a lot of people, especially since there are still some people around who were alive at the time. The memories of a war like that don't exactly fade overnight. Also, the term doesn't only apply to the fuel line. It has also been used unfairly (guilt by association, perhaps?) as a moniker for the car itself. The mods could probably change it for you if you ask, as the subject will come up again.

Check this web site for various build info. It's quite generic, at least as far as applications go, but it's a good site.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com

I didn't look at info about backspacing just now (and it's not my forte either), but I seem to recall some stuff about it there. Good luck.

Also, yeah. VWVortex is just one portal into The Car Lounge.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      This has been covered countless times in the past.
      TCL was a separate website with its own portal which also had ties to several other website of which VWVortex was one.
      Over the years things have merged and been narrowed down to one main site but that does not mean that TCL is a German car forum.
      The Car Lounge was originally part of VWVortex, it was just another subforum like the Community and Lifestyle forum. The Car Lounge was spun off of VWVortex into it's own website years later. You used to be able to go to all the VMG sites and see the exact same Car Lounge and Community & Lifestyle forum on all of them. Only the manufacturer-specific subforums were unique to each different site.

Please see signature. As this is a german car website it makes perfect sense. Every susan is so sensitive around here. :roll eyes:

I was hoping there were members here with access to fitment manuals, auto part store workers, old hot rod heads, tire manufacturers, etc. Anyone with access to a reliable factory back spacing so I could then do the desk math on the spacers to buy as I am currently away from the car.

Tough crowd today.
      Your basis for the username is irrelevant, it just shows questionable judgement or a complete lack of common sense. I have no doubt that it is the exact same reason your threads (and probably accounts) have been deleted at other forums.

There's really no need to match factory back spacing or offset, and considering the new whee;s and tires are completely different size wise it wouldn't make sense to either. As was already suggested, just put the wheels and tires on the car and if they fit... great! If they don't then you can make your measurements to find out exactly what you need to make them fit. No sense spending countless days trying to find the factory back spacing, converting to offset in mm, and spending $100+ on spacers when it would take 30min to do the test fit as is.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar

Tough crowd today.
      My last name is Heil so therefore your argument is invalid.

You should be more concerned about hub bore size than offset.
      Last edited by patrikman; 06-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

TCL is not a German car website, and no one hot rods a 50's Plymouth.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Your basis for the username is irrelevant, it just shows questionable judgement or a complete lack of common sense. I have no doubt that it is the exact same reason your threads (and probably accounts) have been deleted at other forums.

]

Or a weak attempt to justify the user name.

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Hitler's Revenge? I had to check the URL for this page to make sure I didn't stumble on Stormfront.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      TCL is not a German car website, and no one hot rods a 50's Plymouth.
      Mod it to the sky and back. It has too many doors anyway.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

What kind of idiot would use a screen name like that? Now I know.

If only some of the "less than tolerant" post that seem to have become the norm around here recently garnered as much attention, with reason, as OP's username... awaits to be called a snowflake

Serious answer:

You need to buy or borrow one of these op.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Percy-...3HIaAvgx8P8HAQ

And also, c'mon man, you have to understand how people would get upset over your username, right? Ive heard the beetle called that many times before, so I get the joke, but damn. Context is everything.

I snagged these 18x8 Mustang performance center rims off craigslist for $175 with 70% 225/95s on them. Offset is +40 on the rims. But I can't find a reliable source for the factory offset, best I can figure is 3-1/4 but my car wasn't purchased with stock rims on it to measure properly.

That 2nd tire from the front is 70% tread left? Damn, I am going to start listing my worn past the tread wear indicator tires as 50% tread life left.