Facebook Marketplace is the hidden gem of used car listings
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Facebook Marketplace is the hidden gem of used car listings

Lots of good finds, even though you can only search within 100 miles of whatever you put your location as.
      I saw lots of listings that I did not find on craigslist.

Plenty of examples at hand provided by OP. Would read again.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Plenty of examples at hand provided by OP. Would read again.
      The examples are in "white" font. Highlight the post with your cursor to view
      Quote Originally Posted by Optima
      Make a mistake in your life. Love something that is frustrating yet rewarding. Sell it and regret it.

Such is the life of a true auto enthusiast.

A hidden gem of forgotten gems?
      We've revamped our website - please check it out! www.chirostandard.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post

Porsche "beans"
      Uhh... pretty sure that's drugs.

Back on topic, I got a free 1985 Honda VF750F Interceptor off of Facebook. Needed new cams and had been apart in someone's garage for a couple of years, so he just wanted it gone.

Got the cams ground, put it back together, and have since had it running. It's got a fuelling issue currently but it's close to being ride-able!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post

lmao. that's ecstasy....

Quote Originally Posted by Chazwozza View Post
      Uhh... pretty sure that's drugs.
      You're a quick one. Beans is slang for ecstasy and that's a throwaway account.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Quote Originally Posted by toomuchnetflix View Post
      Lots of good finds, even though you can only search within 100 miles of whatever you put your location as.
      I saw lots of listings that I did not find on craigslist.
      Facebook Marketplace is a mess. Random listings of cars, motorcycles, tools, furniture, clothes, tools, and toys. Yes, you can search it but you can't sort by age of ad and there are ads that are months old.

It strikes me as a messier, sleazier Craigslist... which is impressive and/or disturbing.
      08 c30 | 10 xc70 | seventwosix

And man, some people just don't want to sell their stuff.

Browsing the facebook marketplace and ran across a '98 BMW 528i that looked decent but says it needs water pump. So I contacted the owner to see if he'd be around today for me to look at it.

One word: yeah.

Me: Can you tell me more about it?

Him: 159k miles.

Me: When can I come over and look at it?

Him: 1

Me: What's the address?

<crickets> (and FB messenger shows you when they read the message)

So about 12:30 I message again, where do I go to see the car?

<crickets>

1 pm shows up. I message: are we still on to see the car?

Him: yeah

Me: Ok, where are you at so I can come over?

<crickets>

Me: I guess you don't want to sell it or don't even have a car to sell.

I mean how hard is it to type in an address after you spent the time to post the ad?

And a day later, the price drops...
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Facebook groups are preferred over the Marketplace.

LOL no.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      And man, some people just don't want to sell their stuff.
      Those one word responses are one of my biggest pet peeves, whether I'm buying or selling things. If I'm going to be engaging in a transaction with you, at least have the courtesy to type out a damn sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      It strikes me as a messier, sleazier Craigslist... which is impressive and/or disturbing.
      Well it is Facebook. What were you expecting?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      Uh, that distinction goes primarily to Backpage. I used to work there a few years ago so I can claim such a thing.

Because of this thread, I listed by friend's Wrangler Unlimited factory rocker panels on FB (in addition to Craigslist). So far I've gotten one spam message from CL, and nothing from FB. In that respect, FB Marketplace is winning

There's a ton of really suspect **** on there haha. I just took a look and found a 95 Corvette for $1500, which is pretty cool, but every single listing is just so sketchy.
      2007 Volkswagen GTI/2012 Honda Civic Si/1997 GMC Suburban/2006 Honda VTX1800C

Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      Facebook groups are preferred over the Marketplace.
      I have a Facebook account but don't post anything. So I've never tried Facebook Groups. But I would think that just advertising to a limited group would seriously limit the number of people who can actually find your ad? Say I wanted to find a Miata in the Tampa area. I can find 68 ads for them on Tampa Bay craigslist. But how do I find Miata ads in the Tampa area on Facebook groups?

And on Facebook Marketplace, you can't just search titles like Craigslist, so you end up with ads from keyword spammers for stuff that isn't related to what you are searching.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I have a Facebook account but don't post anything. So I've never tried Facebook Groups. But I would think that just advertising to a limited group would seriously limit the number of people who can actually find your ad? Say I wanted to find a Miata in the Tampa area. I can find 68 ads for them on Tampa Bay craigslist. But how do I find Miata ads in the Tampa area on Facebook groups?
      There are Miata-specific groups (in addition to general F/S import car groups) on Facebook you can find on there if you're looking for one.

If you're selling parts, it makes more sense to post them in groups that tailor them for the make and/or model of your vehicle. It's even more evident with the newer generation who eschew message boards for Facebook groups nowadays. It works out better when you're looking to sell locally and don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping (especially with larger bulky items).

And on Facebook Marketplace, you can't just search titles like Craigslist, so you end up with ads from keyword spammers for stuff that isn't related to what you are searching.
      Agreed, which is why I agree it's still flawed. You have better luck searching on Facebook via its Graph Search feature than on Marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      There are Miata-specific groups (in addition to general F/S import car groups) on Facebook you can find on there if you're looking for one.

If you're selling parts, it makes more sense to post them in groups that tailor them for the make and/or model of your vehicle. It's even more evident with the newer generation who eschew message boards for Facebook groups nowadays. It works out better when you're looking to sell locally and don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping (especially with larger bulky items).
      I guess it is kind of equivalent to a car specific forum. But typically you can view forum ads without joining. The local Facebook Central Florida Miata Buy, Sale, and Trade Group is a closed group and you have to join to even view the ads. To me, that is annoying. And I assume when joining it Facebook announces to all my friends that I joined group XYZ. This loss of privacy annoys me.

I guess it is kind of equivalent to a car specific forum. But typically you can view forum ads without joining. The local Facebook Central Florida Miata Buy, Sale, and Trade Group is a closed group and you have to join to even view the ads. To me, that is annoying. And I assume when joining it Facebook announces to all my friends that I joined group XYZ. This loss of privacy annoys me.
      Wait, so someone would need to join Facebook and then the specific group just to even see if there was something they wanted to buy?
      I guess the people who post in those groups do not actually want to sell their stuff.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

It doesn't announce anything if you click the option not to.

I joined the S2000 group, was accepted immediately, and is constantly flowing with legit FS ads. In fact it was S2000 owners who led me to it, stating it's the most reasonable place to find a used S2K these days.

It's probably just my area, but I have had great luck with Facebook Marketplace. Just in the past few months got some great deals:

2004 Forester - $700
      1998 Forester - $75 (no engine / transmission)
      2008 Outback - $400 (accident damage)
      2007 Palomino Puma - $1200 (had a 2' x 2' section of floor rotted, and a window broken out.)

I have also had great luck selling parts through Facebook Groups. I'm a member of 5 or 6 different Subaru groups and it's easy to post the same item to several groups in one shot. I've almost given up on Craigslist lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast