VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Fun thread. Say you make $165k.

30K views 370 replies 109 participants last post by  Nourdmrolnmt 
#1 ·
What car do you buy for weekends and the possible trip to the mountains?

Note: this is like $7500/mo salary if you max out 401k, after taxes.
Housing is $2500/mo

#3 ·
If I made that sort of money, I'd have at least 2 fun cars.

Flyin' miata
FD RX7 in Montego Blue Mica.

Possibly a morgan trike. Possibly an AW11.

#13 ·
When faced with the same dilemma in 1998, I drove my wife's 10 year old Honda Accord DX hatchback. Yeah, baller, right? But my housing costs were higher than your scenario. Oh, and kids. So we also leased an Isuzu Trooper. Sweeeeet!!

And in 1999, I sprang for a 14-year-old 1985 Porsche Turbo-Look Cabriolet.

So that's my suggestion, a nice used Carrera Cab for the weekend car, and a sporty cool SUV for back country adventuring and DD. Kinda like what NoXenon said.

#14 ·
Weekends and the possible trip to the mountains?
Only one choice that I see.

obin :cool:

#24 ·
I would do pretty much the same thing I do now. :cool:

A cheap to own/operate DD (Tacoma) and a fun sports car for weekends and road trips (currently a Cayman GTS).

If I made double that salary and I'd probably still keep the Taco as the DD (thought I might buy a new one) and my fun car would be a McLaren 570GT.

#86 ·
I would do pretty much the same thing I do now. :cool:
Yeah, adjusting for the fact my housing cost is only $1400/month, I guess I'm not too far off the topic's proposed income. I drive a Toyota Prius I picked up used for $9400. No second car. Of course when I was making a third of what I make now, I had purchased a couple year old Honda S2000. Priorities change though. I'll probably get another used Miata somewhere down the line. I really do enjoy convertibles and liked my NB Miata more than my S2000 anyway. Maybe a 2018 MX5 by the time I'm 50 or something to go with a boring cheap commuter car like the one I have today.

#30 ·
i'd have three vehicles. a nice truck/suv (think MDX, Tahoe, Ridgeline, Colorado, etc). a fun year round driver with space for at least 4 people (Camaro 1LE, Evo IX/X). and a roadster (S2000, track prepped miata, etc).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.