VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Guess the Damage A.K.A. Scientific proof that a black cat crossing your path can predict bad luck...

4K views 59 replies 30 participants last post by  BRealistic 
#1 ·
..especially if you HIT the cat with your splitter at 65 mph. :(

The hit was hard.. but I thought maybe it damaged something or just loosened the fender liner.

Note yesterday morning I hit a large rubber ring thing (looked like old school motorcycle tire) on the driver front corner that made the fender liner loose at the back.
I temp fixed it with a hand broke/pavement shaped plastic coat-hanger.

Which was THE ONLY fasteners on the fender liner than survived this morning's cat burglar (they stole the whole corner of my car's front splitter!).

Again, just one black cat did this.

Plastic pan on ground.

[/URL]

Fender liner completely loose except my fix from yesterday.

And after my lunch break zip tie fix.

I am guessing $1400-$1800 since Mazda RX8 parts seem to only be available from Mazda.

I am never going to brag about some random bad thing not happening to me yet.
Just yesterday I bragged to my coworkers that I had never hit an animal (because I hit the rubber tire thing.. they were all like "why didn't you steer around it?" Flying debris in fast moving close traffic is hard to miss)
Then this morning...

See less See more
#4 ·
Should have been an instant death.
You don't remove 1/4 of a car's splitter going 65 mph with your body and survive.
And it went under at least the front tire.
F**king suicidal animals... I was the ONLY car on the road at 6 am... why run out RIGHT in front of me like that?
if I had been in a high hood vehicle, I wouldn't even have seen the cat before impact (because it literally ran right out in front of me into my driver's side corner).

#8 ·
Oh, I know.
Been trying to get her back to 100% in the last 6 months.
Did the airbag recalls, fixed emission valve, fixed a/c, coolant tank prelaced (sensor), all new brakes...
Now the driver window is screwed up and the rad is leaking.. I think I have a brittle nipple.
oh- and this damage.

Fwiw- the last time I had crash repair done on the car, i asked about polishing and clearing the headlights.
They said they don;'t put clear on headlights because it eventually peels off.
It's a good shop too... so I trust them.

#17 ·
Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh..
Now I understand.
I had already changed to other thoughts because I am planning to use insurance claim.
Headlights look new after polished.. for a bit.
I don't expect any used ones to be any different (they are xenon btw).

Car is dirty AF right now.
This 110 mile/day commute is hard on it.
It needs some love.
Once cleaned up it really looks great.
Seriously.

#21 ·
Totaled.

#28 ·
I was cresting a hill doing about 50mph when a large raccoon was in the middle of my lane, no time to brake, thud!!!
Did some damage to the air dam on my 88' Beretta, lucky for me I was able to find a replacement piece at the salvage yard.

Hopefully you can find what you need on the cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.