VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

All for one or one for all?

• One "do-everything" vehicle.

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Two or more vehicles for different purposes.

Votes: 91 82.0%

What's your philosophy: Have one do-it-all vehicle or multiple "specialized" ones?

6K views 127 replies 88 participants last post by  adrew 
#1 ·
Given a choice (and if I had the space), I think having the everyday commuter and the occasional fun car would be ideal.

What works for you?

See less See more
#30 ·
I can't justify the expense to register, insure, and maintain more than one vehicle per driver. At least not the kind of car I want to drive. That's city living for you.

#35 ·
I like one do-it-all vehicle; saves on insurance, space, and maximizes the time I get to enjoy it. My last car, a LGT wagon with a manual, pretty much hit everything I needed in terms of interior space (no car seats at the time), cargo hauling, toy hauling (kayaks and bikes), and occasional track/rallycross days.

The engineering that goes into a compromise car is just as important if not more so than a specialized one; I'm more impressed as to how well a Cayenne drives versus a Boxster. Of course a 2 seat mid-engine sports car is going to be fantastic to drive. Making an SUV fun to drive is certainly more of a challenge.

#36 ·
I like the simplicity and low cost of owning only one car, and I drive so little as-is that a second vehicle wouldn't get driven much.

With that said, I'd like a truck as a second vehicle. I owned two different Tacomas and hated them as only vehicles, but they were great when I actually needed to put something in the bed. I also don't want to be rushed if I need to take my main car offline to do maintenance or repairs.

#37 ·
Four cars, two drivers. That's my ideal. I'm sort of there now, and have been for years, but I never have all 4 running and registered at the same time.

1) The Commuter: Was a '99 Civic Coupe, now it's an e-Golf. I love this car. It's fun to drive and works perfectly for us. My wife and I swap driving it during the week.
2) The Family Car: Was a '05 Mazda6 Wagon manual, now it's an Accord Sport CVT. I'm meh on this car. It's an appliance. It does have a large back seat for the kids and a decent trunk and get really great mpg's compared to the Mazda.
3) The Truck: Was a broken K5 Blazer, now it's a RCLB F-250 4X4. I love trucks. Biggest downside is only 3 seat belts and there are 4 of us. This is my weekend beater and wrenching outlet. With two "new" cars, my tools were sitting idle. This truck is at the perfect spot where I can drive and use it, but it still needs some things fixed that kept the purchase price low. Future replacement options are Suburban or Avalanche or CC pickup.
4) The Fun Car: Currently my MkIV GTI. Had a roll bar and race seats. It's past its prime and I'm done putting money into it. Plates have expired and I haven't driven it in a year. I've started parting it out. Ideally this will get replaced with a targa top Corvette. I don't need a hardcore track only toy, but want to get back to the track on occasion. I also want a roof-off nice weather toy. Some day...

#38 ·
At this point I can bike to work year round so having a less efficient car is not a big deal. I don't think I'll have the space for two anytime soon which is too bad as I'd like a Miata or 240Z or something choice for fun alongside whatever replaces the Olds. I'm thinking a cream puff 4.0L Cherokee from the U.S. for taking me and my kayaks and gear to the back o beyond. Since I'll likely be a one car person for the foreseeable future, I guess I'm a do it all vehicle type.

#39 ·
My answer is both. I am about to acquire a 2017 Golf S 4-Motion Manual, which will be the do-it-all daily driver and will get bumped up to about 300hp eventually; because smaller displacement 'Golf R' wagon. :laugh:

I also have a couple other vehicles that I like to drive regularly to have different driving experiences:

1963 356 (needs to be put back together)
1984 911
1986 GLI
1990 NA Diesel Jetta
2017 Honda Grom

#41 ·
It's hard to get a single vehicle to cover efficient, comfortable commuting, track days and mountain fire roads.

Ideally, I'd have 3, but accept that the "fun" car comes with the trade-off of being slightly too stiff for the mountains and slightly too soft at the track.

#42 ·
I'm a big fan of having many cars. I cannot find 1 single car that can fit all my needs (though there are some real close ones).

My "needs":

- Track car I can crash and not cry about it
- Towing the track car
- Daily driver with not horrible gas mileage
- I'd love an offroad car because why not?

#44 ·
either philosophy. i've had times with both since adulthood - went from a gsx-r600, 20th gti, and a cadillac sls at one time, to just a mkvi jetta, jetta sportwagen, mk7 gti, touareg, a tacoma, etc. currently pretty sure my sweet spot is having two cars.

2007 z06 - takes care of manual, garage queen points, and ****ing rocket.
2006 v8 4runner - take it to the woods, get to work any day in any weather, etc.

in all reality, i'd rather have a nicer DD (the 4runner) but currently not sure if it's worth the money. having a q5 or RDX might be my next step, so i don't feel like my garage queen is amazing and i'm dealing with a penalty box all day for the DD.

#45 ·
Multi-car, but no compromise on DD/commuter. If you enjoy driving, what's the point of spending most of your time behind the wheel in a soulless A to B econobox? A Prius sends shivers down my spine.

#46 ·
I have both...a do-it-all vehicle in my S6 Avant as well as multiple fun vehicles in the classic P-cars.

#47 ·
Currently and for the foreseeable future, one car that serves a variety of needs is where I'm at. The 335i is fast, plenty sporty and plenty utilitarian even with only 2 doors.

Eventually, the ideal set up is some sort of a "super-saloon" for DD, a weekend/fun car, and a SUV for the SO and necessities.

#48 ·
Ideally, I would love to have a 2nd weekend sports car. However, I really like not having the additional headaches and costs associated with such a 2nd car.

In VA, you have to pay personal property taxes on cars, and they calculate it based on NADA values. No big deal for something like an NA Miata, but a major PIA for a relatively newer 911 or NSX that tends to hold its value for a while. In my county it's 4.57% of the assessed value every year:thumbdown:

Therefore, I'm now looking at 25 year old cars to get the vintage car exemption (car would not be used on my daily commute). Something like a 964, Alfa Spider, very early NSX, are a considerations.

#55 ·
Pretty much this.

Not to say there aren't several "do-it-all" cars that can skew towards the driving enjoyment end of the spectrum...but there is still usually compromise.

I've only ever owned one car at a time but I am looking forward to that changing hopefully later this year when I get a truck.

The Evos are the only car that's come close to doing it all for me in my climate...but when you need a truck, you need a truck, IMO.

#56 ·
I used to be in the 1 car camp, and now I am in the "We need our next house to have garage space for 4+ cars."

One car is DD, fits family, etc. One car for weekend drives, preferably convertible. One car for the track. One car for the wife, which can hopefully tow.

That's 4. Anything on top of that is just for collecting or for sheer desirability. As technology advances and as I get older, I find myself liking older cars more and more.

#58 ·
I always have at least one fun old car (which is currently a 96 Miata) and a 4 door sedan that has some elements of fun and luxury. Both are manual.

Fun vehicles: Miata, Z31 300ZX, Saab 900t vert, LT-1 Firebird, Saab 900t vert, and IROC camaro (the only auto)
DDs: Accord 6-6, Volvo S40 T5, Lexus IS300 (the only auto) and MK4 Jetta GLX.

My main issue with a do-it all car: For a fun car, I prefer something older (Late 80s to mid 90s) but for a daily driver I want something newer than a 2005 for a level of reliability, refinement and gizmos. Also, something that is raw as a miata isn't going to be a great daily driver.

#62 ·
I don't see it in terms of a specialized purpose, just different types of cars--I'd love to have an Evo and a Viper. Or my current situation, a corrado SLC and M3. I don't really need to do much compromising in what I drive. I could technically be fine driving a Miata or Exige as a daily, since I don't use a car on a daily basis. The only considerations would deal with potential weather, so I likely wouldn't own a corvette as a daily as I just wouldn't want to drive that car in the winter. Incidentally, I like the idea of something that can be driven off-road. This would also, however, double as something that would be considered specialized/practical. One of these days, I'm going to pull the trigger on some type of truck or SUV.

#66 ·
when i was younger, finances and parking made this decision for me... one car to do it all.

now that i am older... married, family, a house...etc.
i can have multiple cars much easier. especially when i can steer the wifes car buying decisions... or even at times completely freight train and make the decision for her. ;)

so now we have lots of cars, some of which do different things. but i am in the process of paring things down a little. my hope is to be down to 3 by end of summer.
minivan - sienna.
wife - mazda6.
fun/my daily - miata pending purchase.

so that means the Audi and the Saab, plus the Ninja will be out the door.

we have the minivan, and mazda6 covered.
i am working on buying a friends miata.
i am working on another friend to buy my Saab, should be able to clear this by end of month.
the Ninja needs a tuneup and then it will be craigslisted, hopefully before end of month.

that leaves the Audi, which is a bit of a project to be honest. THAT one might be harder to sort out. i really dont NEED this one to go away on any set schedule, more just that it SHOULD go away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.