VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

16V G60 - How to

1M views 2K replies 242 participants last post by  mirus 
#1 · (Edited)
ROUND 3.

I decided to make this thread after again getting quite a few PM's from members asking me to do a 16V G60 thread similiar to my 20V G60 Thread.Now my reply was that I had never built a 16V G60 ,I only had the knowledge and know how of a 16V (either 9A or PL) and a G60 engine (PG) and was unable to do a write up.After a while I thought about it and did the research,spoke to the guys that did it and decided I will do a write up.The following are useful links you can use when doing the Build up or you can accomodate all the 16V G60 information into 1 thread like what we did with the 20V G60 thread.

1. Bahn Brenner's own build up process.

#1,898 ·
head block alignment

i have my G60 head gasket still and i notice a couple imperfections in the line up of the 16V head to the G60 block. anyone else see this when they did their build? Don't have a 16V gasket so not sure the differences with that one.

Mainly i'm looking at the one i circled, but alignment is a little funny on the edges too.

reason for concern?

#1,899 ·
reason for concern?
No
You are using a later style block with an early style head. The small circle is for the anti-drain back valve / one way valve in the oil filter housing which your cylinder head does not have provision for. It is not a big deal since you will still be supplied oil from the primary channel.

#1,900 ·
Red Hot Cat

Question: Have you converted the Digi 1 injectors to the 16 v head

If so in my humble opinion it is running overly lean
RED HOT (to me) means temperature, not heat...........too much oxygen and too little fuel
I do not want to see a Fine VW burn up on you

If you have used the Digi 1 injectors the fuel is likely spraying against the long tube of the injector guide
walls and collecting there then running out the bottom no longer atomized and just dribbling most of the fuel
liquid form into the head.
I hope that you have not had a catastrophe before you see this

Cheers

My E-mail is alc-1492@hotmail.com Faster this way

#1,901 ·
thoughts?

thoughts on a setup like this? feels like another pulley between the alternator and the charger (maybe off that top alternator bolt) would be good. also, maybe not enough contact with the water pump pulley. car has no power steering so that isn't needed. also makes it so i can't run a v-belt since the ps tensions the v-belt.

#1,902 ·
There is not enough wrap on the alternator and charger. Those items have a lot of load so you must have a good amount of grip to keep them from slipping. An idler pulley close to the alternator pivot bolt may solve that problem.

As for the coolant pump pulley, I would think you need more wrap for that too. There is less load so maybe not. A larger diameter idler pulley is what I would be looking at for that. If I could not find something, I may just try what you got.

This post has been deleted
#1,904 ·
stand alone

Most people here run Stand Alone ECU?

my swap is into a MK1 GTI so don't have digi already sitting in there.

people say a lot of good things about Mega Squirt. i see AEM Infinity in a lot of of other stuff.

people have recommendations? i'd love to hear what others used.

P.S i'm not sure the BBM chip is an option as my compression ratio with AAN pistons is different than what that chip is tuned for. i due have a guide for how to wire this set up, just no correct chip support.

#1,905 ·
part number for coolant metal coolant pipe

hey guys,

what metal coolant pipe have people used for going from the pump up to the heater core?

maybe this one, but it has 3 points I'd need to cap. Pipe is 027-121-065/K with 055-121-324 to block off.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/027121065k-metal-coolant-pipe-16v.html

if it is this one it isn't easy to find in America. I called Heritage and its a 4 week back order.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.