VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Wagon turbo project

31K views 141 replies 29 participants last post by  QuantumSyncro 
#1 ·
From the Neils Bohr wing of Quantum Mechanics:
1987 Fox wagon turbo project, crafted by "Longitudinal"
(My job description is 'unskilled labor,' through the QM sweat equity program.)
There is some "Heisenberg uncertainty" about the completion date; more info and pix to come.
-Quantum Turbo Diesel turbo, oil pan, oil filter flange, drain, supply line, exhaust manifold
-Golf oil pump (with pickup swap)
-Audi 5000T throttle body
-Audi 4000 fuel distributor
-hybrid Audi 5000/Golf intake manifold
-Shelby Daytona intercooler
-custom adapter flange for IM/throttle body
-custom charge tubes
-custom exhaust
-Dynomax muffler
other stuff:
-E30 mounts
-A/C delete
-misc. hoses, including one "Born From Jets"
previous changes to the car:
-short shift kit
-vented rotors
coming soon (er, eventually:)
-head work
-A2 lowering springs
-5-speed

Old exhaust

stock engine bay

some items removed

checking fit- note grinding needed on exhaust man. for intake man. bolts.

needed some space here

new exhaust

intercooler location

Quantum Mechanics- no room at the inn (Audi 5000, Fox wagon, Audi Fox, Dasher wagon)

another Quantum Mechanics project: custom hangers for crummy Bosal Quantum exhaust

Modified by reddfoxx at 9:26 PM 1-4-2009

Modified by reddfoxx at 9:30 PM 1-4-2009

Modified by reddfoxx at 9:33 PM 1-4-2009

See less See more
#77 ·
I've been following this thread and wanted to stop to give a thumbs up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
When I was 17 I had a 4x4 scout with no roof, an 88 Fox and then an 88 V12 (750IL) BMW. I've since had 35+ other cars, and within the last year I parted out/sold my 03 A4 (supercharged by yours truly) for the explicit purpose of buying the fox that's sitting outside my house now because it was just more fun!
Love the project!
damn good insight ===> Cheep fun
oh and Hi, I'm Joe

#78 ·
Re: (arbitris)

Glad you like it. All props should go to Jonathan- I am basically unskilled labor at the shop. Let's see, I've used a Sawzall, circular saw, wire cutters- none of that on this car... Um, I changed the oil and hooked up a couple of wires...

Here's the only pic I took yesterday- the WOT pressure switch on the left, and the Hobbs pressure switch for the extra injector on the right.

It's running fine. The roads have been slick lately, so no really good tests.
It's been said before, but it's a hauler and a sleeper in a couple of senses...

An approximate budget:
$50-exhaust manifold
$75-turbo
$200-intake manifold
$50-intercooler
$35-fuel distributor
$25-ECU
$149-exhaust pipes, gaskets, flex pipe, etc.
$45-boost gauge and line

So $650-700 for turbo-related parts. Another $200 or so for struts and springs, definitely necessary to plant that power. Tires soon, too, roughly $3-400. $7-800 for head work eventually.

#82 ·
Re: Wagon turbo project (DubbinChris)

Chris, I mention it above, but will mention it again. Basically anything that didn't come from a Fox will do. The Fox's ECU PN is 811 906 264. Anything with a letter suffix ( 264 A, 264 B, etc.) contains the enrichment circuit.

#84 ·
Re: Wagon turbo project (Longitudinal)

Quote, originally posted by Longitudinal »
Chris, I mention it above, but will mention it again. Basically anything that didn't come from a Fox will do. The Fox's ECU PN is 811 906 264. Anything with a letter suffix ( 264 A, 264 B, etc.) contains the enrichment circuit.

I think I remember reading that one from a QSW would work. That's what's currently in my fox right now.

#85 ·

More work this weekend. Thanks again Jonathan- hopefully now you can work on your own projects more...
Opened lower grille for intercooler:

Installed A2 lowering springs in front. Lowers a little. Rears dropped way down, so went back to original springs. That and new front struts improve handling a lot, and help keep the front on the ground under power.
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

#86 ·
OK, so it did drop the nose some. Well, I could tell that by the alignment on the test drive. It does look better. Looks like maybe .5"-.75".
Also installed the rad fan switch, which gave out at some point. Wired a single-speed switch to the high-speed circuit. Why not, right?

#89 ·
Re: (Longitudinal)

Quote, originally posted by dubbinchris »
The above car is not a QSW.

But there are people on here who could do an FSW...
Quote, originally posted by Longitudinal »
OK, so it did drop the nose some. Well, I could tell that by the alignment on the test drive. It does look better. Looks like maybe .5"-.75".
Also installed the rad fan switch, which gave out at some point. Wired a single-speed switch to the high-speed circuit. Why not, right?

It's lower, definitely, and handles better, and that's all I want http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Okay, it does look better with a little less gap...
You can certainly hear the fan come on now
and it cools down quickly.

#90 ·

Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »

The above car is not a QSW.

Whaaaaaaaaaa?????????????

Isn't it rear wheel drive?

#91 ·
Re: Wagon turbo project (iluvfastcarz)

Quote, originally posted by iluvfastcarz »

Whaaaaaaaaaa?????????????

Isn't it rear wheel drive?

Nah, that was a too-expensive option package nobody bought.

#92 ·
The wagon looks good. I like the look of the wheels against the paint.
Because you are running stock springs on the back and lowering sprinngs in the front, is there a significant difference between the spring rates?
I want to lower may wagon too. I'm liking the combination you are using.

#93 ·
Re: (mike in SC)

Mike,
Wagon rear springs are very stiff. They feel a bit stiffer than the A2 lowering springs that would otherwise have gone on. It feels very good as it is, and I will eventually build a sway bar for the rear to help neutralize the Fox's tendency to understeer. I don't want to go too wild, but just a little to make it safer and more fun to drive.

#94 ·
Re: (Longitudinal)

I'm sure the sway bar will help, but I can again report that it's plenty fun to drive: finally had a chance to take it to my test loop. Had been concerned about ice, but that was barely present. Lots of gravel on the curves, though, so had to back off some. At least I don't have to worry much about paint chips on this car

Turbo helps get your speed up after steep hills and sharp curves, and makes everything more fun.
Tentative 0-60: 10 seconds. However, that was timing myself with the dash clock and inaccurate speedo. I ran to 80 indicated, which should actually be a little high, say 62-63. Better equipment and a better driver could surely bring that number down.

#96 ·
Re: (rodrigoromao)

Jonathan figures 150-160hp. And he pointed out that 0-60 in 10 seconds is more like stock time. Blame my driving skills and trying to time myself. More accurate timing (and speedo) and better technique will give a better result.
That's Jonathan's shop (well, his dad's.)
Suspension is done for now. I have some 14" wheels which will go on when I get some tires for them, maybe this summer.
Thanks for the kudos http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Oh, and I actually did some work on it today: replaced the radiator. That and the fan switch were probably coincidental to the turbo project.

#98 ·
Re: (reddfoxx)

Is that thing any fast? Would you like to race?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#101 ·
Re: (iluvfastcarz)

Quote, originally posted by iluvfastcarz »
Is that thing any fast? Would you like to race?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Let's wait another hundred miles or so, until you are limping on two cylinders and burning as much oil as gasoline. Then we'll race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.