VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

** The Official "Tracking Josh Hurley's Professional Racing Career" Thread **

14K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  audindy 
#1 ·
Here's a refresher of Josh Hurley, the 2008 Jetta TDI Cup Champion (photos taken by .:RDriver)

As a reward for winning the championship....
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com...nheim/
Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Drivers Compete in Polo Cup Race at Hockenheim
Written by: SPEED Staff
SPEEDtv.com
10/29/2008 - 04:58 PM
Hockenheim, Germany

2008 Jetta TDI Cup Champion, Josh Hurley, of Cooper City, Fla., and 2008 Jetta TDI Cup media contest winner, David Richert, of Niverville, Manitoba, Canada, both drove in the ADAC Volkswagen Polo Cup race, Oct. 25 – 26, at Hockenheim Raceway as part of their prize packages from Volkswagen. The pair finished 10th and 22nd, respectively, in the final race of the season for the Polo Cup series. Hurley’s 10th-place was the best finish for a guest driver.

“After a successful first season of the Jetta TDI Cup in North America, we were excited to have two of our young racers make an appearance at the famous Hockenheim track this past weekend,” said Clark Campbell, motorsport manager, Volkswagen of America. “The experience and exposure this opportunity provided to Josh and David was something they’ll never forget and we’re proud of how well they placed among a very competitive field of international drivers.”
In addition to Hurley and Richert, Jetta TDI Cup driving instructor Jan Haylen also competed as a guest entrant and finished 24th in the field of 31 drivers.
Hurley and Richert are participants of the Volkswagen driver exchange program, a program established to link Volkwagen’s international one-make cups in China, Germany, Japan, South Africa and the USA. The program helps the top drivers further their development by participating in international competition, giving them the chance to take a look behind the scenes of other series and to prove their skills in completely unfamiliar circumstances.
Also participating at Hockenheim was 2008 Jetta TDI Cup driver Liam Kenney, who was the only driver to win two races during the 2008 Jetta TDI Cup season, and ended the season in second place. Kenney raced in the Europe ADAC Formula Masters series. Wearing American flag colors on the nose of his “Powered by Volkswagen” formula car, Kenney finished seventh in his first race in Europe.
To receive more information, or to register for the 2009 Jetta TDI Cup season, interested participants between the ages of 16-26 should visit:
http://www.vwmotorsportusa.com
In preparation for the 2009 season, Josh stayed in the seat....so to speak:
KONI: Series Joins Season-Opening Test at Daytona
Written by: Grand-Am Communications
01/02/2009 - 03:03 PM
Daytona Beach, Fla.
KONI GS and ST teams join the Rolex series this weekend at Daytona to prepare for their season opener.
Nearly 40 cars will participate in the opening three-day test for the 2009 Grand-Am KONI Sports Car Challenge season, which starts Saturday and ends next Monday at Daytona International Speedway.

The 2009 race season opens Jan. 23 with the Fresh From Florida 200, which incurs a three-hour time limit, at the 3.56-mile track. Defending Grand Sport (GS) class and overall winner Craig Stanton of BGB Motorsports is the only reigning race winner scheduled to participate in the test. He will drive the No. 83 BGB Motorsports Porsche 997, one of 22 entries from the GS class, with rookie Josh Hurley.
The decision was made!!

Quote, originally posted by Arin@APR »

Opelika, Alabama, January 16, 2009 - After completing a highly successful first year development program, APR Motorsport is ready to compete for the 2009 Koni Sports Car Challenge Series Championship with a strong two-car effort. APR Motorsport completed the 2008 season with several fastest race laps, a pole position, 9 top ten finishes, and a second place at Miller Motorsports Park, and at every race, an APR VW lapped in the top ten.
The driver line-up has evolved for the 2009 schedule with the addition of some new faces and some that are already familiar to the team and fans alike. APR is pleased with the talent and level of professionalism in the new pairings. With the drivers in fast GTI's, the team looks to be a double threat for the 2009 title.

#171.... In a major coup for the team, the reigning SCCA VW Jetta TDI Cup Champion Josh Hurley, of Cooper City FL, has been signed to co drive. In 2008, Hurley drove his VW Jetta TDI to a championship in the inaugural season of the series. Josh's tremendous driving and tactical ability led to a win at Portland and a second place finish in the final race to seal the championship by a slim 5 points.
Hurley and co-driver Ian Baas tested with APR Motorsport at Daytona in December. Both are confident they will be serious contenders for the Daytona race and the 2009 championship. Baas remarked, "Josh and I hit it off very well at our test in December. Josh was able to get up to speed very quickly. His feedback and input were terrific. I think we are in for a good year!" Hurley said, "I was amazed how well the APR prepared GTI's performed on the track. I can't wait to finally race at Daytona." APR Motorsport Crew Chief Jeff Mishtawy was thrilled with the success of the December test and impressed by the chemistry between Josh, Ian, and the team. "This is a dream. To have capable drivers and a team working selflessly together is going to bring great results. We also tested a number of development items for 2009 with flawless results."

Joining the APR Motorsport VW GTI #171 for 2009 will be Gunther VW, the largest VW dealer in the United States. Gunther VW, of Coconut Creek Florida, is proud to reflect the level of professionalism and communication displayed by drivers Baas and Hurley. The Gunther organization has long been a backer of Josh and is pleased to have been a part of Josh's early success with VW racing and continuing that partnership into the future. Visit http://www.gunthervw.net for more information.

ABOUT APR LLC, - parent company of APR Motorsport, of Opelika, Alabama recently opened its new 38,000 square foot, 12 acre world headquarters. APR was founded in 1997 to bring aerospace engineering and technology to the automotive performance aftermarket. From the onset, APR established a company philosophy of Integrity, Excellence, and Innovation. APR engineers, designs, and manufactures high quality Engine Management Recalibrations, Performance Exhaust Systems, Intake Systems, Intercoolers, Turbocharger Systems, and Performance Accessories for Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen Vehicles. For more information on APR Tuning or APR Motorsports, visit http://www.goapr.com. APR's engineering has led to technical partnerships with some elite automotive performance engineering companies and provides the development and testing opportunities many companies cannot access. APR is recognized as Official Technology Partners with Michelin Tires, BBS Wheels, Koni, and Brembo.

Updates to follow.....

See less See more
#6 ·
I'll agree on both points: Ian and Josh put together a great day in the 7 car, and Randy is fast in anything. That said, that Civic is really, really fast.
Also, let's not forget to mention Aaron Povoledo, who did an awesome job despite the crappy hand we were dealt.
Congrats Josh and Ian and all the studs that make those cars run!
***Update***
It has been confirmed that Josh's teammate Mike is totally rad.

#12 ·
Good job to Josh and the whole APR Motorsport team this weekend at Seca. The weather was beautiful and qualifying went well, it was gearing up to be an awesome race day. Unfortunately, both cars were plagued with issues throughout the race, but were both able to finish. Josh did a great job keeping his cool despite this. Awesome, looking forward to Limerock!

#13 ·
Re: (aircooled56)

Quote, originally posted by aircooled56 »
looking forward to Limerock!

Big http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to Josh and APR Motorsports for winning the pole .
Ian finished it up and took 2nd place overall:eek: .
The 181 car would have been top 5 atleast but when I heard it sounded like a boost hose popped off
Bob.G

Modified by rracerguy717 at 7:32 PM 5-25-2009

#19 ·
Re: (LosDub)

From Grand-am.com.........
Hurley Looking to Give APR Motorsport Two Straight (Updated Thursday, June 18 at 3:40 p.m.)
Two weeks ago at Watkins Glen International, APR Motorsport celebrated its first victory in KONI Sports Car Challenge Street Tuner (ST) competition with drivers Dion von Moltke and Mike Sweeney in the No. 181 APR Tuning/BBS Volkswagen GTI.
Several team members believe Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course will be another good chance for a victory, but one of those members said it might be the drivers of the other car.
"I beat myself up after making a mistake at The Glen, but this time, I think we could take one of our home," said rookie Josh Hurley, co-driver of the No. 171 APR Tuning/Gunther VW Volkswagen GTI with Ian Baas. "The No. 181 guys did a great job, and Dion ran toe-to-toe with Randy Pobst. Dion is the man! But this weekend, I'm hoping we will be in front of the other car."
Hurley said he and the No. 181 team have a friendly rivalry, and that means catching flack throughout the season. However, one thing he and Baas do have over their teammates - they are sixth in points.
"They've been nice to me since Watkins Glen because of the mistake, but there is always some sort of rivalry," Hurley said. "Dion pipped up in practice this morning and got on me a little bit about that. But the big rivalry for us resides in our opponents. We have to make up the distance on Randy and (point leader Christian) Miller. We're hoping here is the place to do it."
Although times are unofficial and not available for print on all promoter test days, Hurley and the rest of the APR Motorsport team were happy with their times. That, he said, should give them reason to believe in winning again.
"Actually, I think we have a really good chance," Hurley said. "The car set the fastest lap last year, and everyone is looking forward to racing here again. I have never been here before, but the rest of the crew has, and we've unloaded really strong. We've made a couple of changes, and the car right now is on rails. In truth, I think it's handling better here than at The Glen. I'm hoping that bodes well for us."

#20 ·
Re: (jsmyle1%...)

KONI: APR's Baas and Hurley Win ST Class at Barber
Ian Baas and Josh Hurley turned in a dominating performance Saturday at Barber Motorsports Park, leading 76 of the 83 laps to win the Legacy Credit Union 200, Round 8 of the 2009 Grand-Am KONI Sports Car Challenge.
The KONI Challenge Grand Sport competitors will race in a two-and-a-half hour race Sunday, with the green flag to fly at 8:20 a.m. CT.
APR's VW's have been on a hot streak lately, taking another win today at Barber. (KONI) » More Photos
While it was the first career victory for both drivers of the No. 171 APR Motorsport Volkswagen GTI, it followed back-to-back triumphs by Dion von Moltke and Mike Sweeney in the No. 181. It was also a home-course victory for APR Motorsport, based in nearby Auburn, Ala.
Baas led the opening 36 circuits before being passed by the No. 111 Subaru of America Subaru Legacy of Andrew Aquilante on the front straightaway. Baas quickly regained the lead in Turn 1 on the next lap, and paced another lap before pitting.
"I can't say enough for Mr. Aquilante," Baas said. "He was really putting the pressure on me. The Subaru was really set up good. I really had to work out hard out there. It will make for good TV (SPEED, Saturday, July 25, noon ET)."
Ken Wilden, driving the No. 129 JE Racing/Hawk Brakes BMW 330i, and Christian Miller, in the No. 74 034 Motorsport/Skunk2 Honda Civic Si, each led a lap before their stops, when the lead cycled back to Hurley.
Hurley's only challenge in the closing half of the race came when the third and final full-course caution waved with 38 minutes remaining, erasing a 12.8 second lead. On the restart, Hurley motored away from Kristian Skavnes, who took over for Aquilante.
/> Andrew Carbonell, who took over for 15th-place starter Rhett O'Doski in the No. 146 Freedom Autosport/Mazda Mazda MX-5, passed Skavnes following the restart and finished second, 4.118 seconds behind Hurley.
Skavnes held on for third, followed by Owen Trinkler and Jade Buford in the No. 196 Cruise America/Four Winds Mini Cooper S, Bryan Ortiz and Wilden, and Sarah Cattaneo and Mark White in the No. 147 Freedom Autosport/Mazda Mazda MX-5.
Randy Pobst placed seventh in relief of Miller, whose lead was cut to 18 points by Skavnes and Aquilante (231-213). Pobst remains third in the standings with 205 points, with Baas and Hurley another 10 points back with 195 points.
Baas and Hurley averaged 75.473 mph. The race was slowed three times for six laps, all for cars stopped off course that were able to continue following extrications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.