964 porsche, lets talk about them - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: (apex strafer)

Quote, originally posted by apex strafer »
      Ssshh. I'm trying to talk myself out of selling my car and getting one

Are you NUTS?!
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: (epbrown)

bump this ****, need more 964 in my life
      2014 Jeep Grand Cherockee SRT
      2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Re: (dieseldub1)

Damn you - just when I was getting the 964 out of my head you have to go and do this
      '12 Lotus Evora S: My Fast Ride
      '12 A6 3.0T: The Wife's Fast Ride
      '08 LR3 HSE: The Daily/Off-Roader

there's so much greatness in this thread
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

I never got into the 964. Every time I see one I just think "Blaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. It's not ugly, but it's not attractive." I came into this thread hoping I would come away with a different view, but no luck.

Re: (BltByKrmn)

Quote, originally posted by BltByKrmn »
      I never got into the 964. Every time I see one I just think "Blaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. It's not ugly, but it's not attractive." I came into this thread hoping I would come away with a different view, but no luck.

really
      2014 Jeep Grand Cherockee SRT
      2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Re: (BltByKrmn)

Quote, originally posted by BltByKrmn »

Re: (MRVW01)

in for the pictures, for later.

Re: (NORVADUB)

I love my 964!!!!!

Re: (danny_16v)

Quote, originally posted by danny_16v »
      there's so much greatness in this thread

x2 im so in love with p-cars...
      1930 Ford Roadster LSx - 1972 C10 LSx- 1954 Panhead - 1955 Panhead - 1962 Shovelhead - 2014 FXDL - 1999 XJ Sport

Re: (dieseldub1)

Quote, originally posted by dieseldub1 »
      really

Yup, they are just too bland looking. I have the same gripe with the base 996.

FV-QR

I don't see them as bland. I see them as pure. I love the 964. They've got the classic styling of the original 911 bodyshell and have much better looking front and rear fascias compared to the big impact bumper 911SC and 3.2 Carrera. They have the good G50 transmission and also got a bump up in displacement to 3.6L. Collectors seem to have focused on the 993 (being last of the air-cooled models) and the 964 Turbos but my preference is for a narrow body Carrera 2 with some RS mods as real RS are out of my price range.

FAQ

Is there a buying guide or FAQ out there for these cars?

I found a C4 with 150,000 miles on it and poor paint for a fairly low price. I don't care about faded paint but if Cam chains and tensioners are going to be several grand to replace then I don't wanna bother with the headache. I don't care about oil leaks either...

I think this would be a cool car to beat up to Tahoe in the winter, do a few auto-x events and maybe even do some PCA track days at Laguna or Infineon

like any Porsche, they are good, solid, reliable cars assuming they have been taken care of by their previous owner - they will require more to maintain than a Honda Civic but will require less to maintain than a BMW ///M car or a Ferrari.

They will run literally forever if you care for them, despite all the horror stories you'll hear about oil leaks or disintegrating flywheels.

They blend modern(ish) suspension technology with modern ergonimics, yet retain a classic interior and exterior appearance.
      The only thing you're going to do with more horsepower is go faster.
      - Cars that I Own -

I want one so badly... the 964 is my favorite Porsche body style. Just a plain Carrera 2 would suit me just fine

Personally, it is a toss up between the 930 and 964. Maybe due to the fact my father had friends with both but I think they are the essential porsche. One day..

The 993 is gorgeous too, don't get me wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by cretinx View Post
      like any Porsche, they are good, solid, reliable cars assuming they have been taken care of by their previous owner - they will require more to maintain than a Honda Civic but will require less to maintain than a BMW ///M car or a Ferrari.
      Whoa, Nelly! You're saying a 964 would be less to maintain than, say, an E30 M3? Or even an E36 M3? (Both of those seem fair, as they're contemporaries of the 964). What's that based on?
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

Is there a buying guide or FAQ out there for these cars?

I found a C4 with 150,000 miles on it and poor paint for a fairly low price. I don't care about faded paint but if Cam chains and tensioners are going to be several grand to replace then I don't wanna bother with the headache. I don't care about oil leaks either...

I think this would be a cool car to beat up to Tahoe in the winter, do a few auto-x events and maybe even do some PCA track days at Laguna or Infineon
      Be very careful. A high mileage 964 C4 -esp an early ie pre-92 model- can be a very expensive car to own. Without knowing the details of the car in question, I cannot in good conscience recommend you pull the trigger on it.

Find out if a top end rebuild has been done. Find out if its been updated to the head gaskets of later 964s. Check the brakes - bleeding the brakes on a 964 C4 requires an expensive tool called the Bosch Hammer. See if the AWD system accelerometers have been cleaned or replaced.

If a top end rebuild has been done and the car passes the mandatory PPI AND the price is right, and you are aware that owning a 911 requires budgeting a couple of grand for maintenance/repair/mods annually...then consider going for it. But don't jump into this with your eyes shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan92SLC View Post
      Be very careful. A high mileage 964 C4 -esp an early ie pre-92 model- can be a very expensive car to own. Without knowing the details of the car in question, I cannot in good conscience recommend you pull the trigger on it.

Find out if a top end rebuild has been done. Find out if its been updated to the head gaskets of later 964s. Check the brakes - bleeding the brakes on a 964 C4 requires an expensive tool called the Bosch Hammer. See if the AWD system accelerometers have been cleaned or replaced.

If a top end rebuild has been done and the car passes the mandatory PPI AND the price is right, and you are aware that owning a 911 requires budgeting a couple of grand for maintenance/repair/mods annually...then consider going for it. But don't jump into this with your eyes shut.
      I could probably get the car for $10K but considering it needs paint, it is leaking oil, has 140K and the owner didn't inspire confidence that it's been well maintained.

I think I'm better off passing on this one. Even though this is one of my all time favorite Porsches

should not have opened this thread. i am ruined.

964 or 993

I know this thread is all 964, but I also like the 993. I would like to know more input which one is better. In terms of reliability, suspension, performance, etc between the 964 and 993.

The 964 is the same body shell as earlier cars (definately the SC, and I think earlier), so it retains the classic upright lights and fenders.

Most people claim that the 993 isolates the driver from the experience more than earlier cars, but I'm not the best judge of that. I've driven a 993 in anger and it was pretty fun, but it was 18 years before I bought my 964, so tough to compare.

The later 993 is mechanically improved by hydraulic lifters, exhaust manifold, varioram intake, and exhaust, but it's virtually the same engine.

The 96-98 993s are OBDII, and the SAI ports clog up with carbon and set off the CEL. Its not a cheap repair. The 964s mostly suffer from leaky parts, namely the early gasketless cylinders and the early oil tank.

After seeing the pics in this thread I've decided to paint my new-to-me BBS RS wheels BBS GOLD!

wow. much love for the cars posted here.

I'm also amazed by the comment: "with your hands on the steering wheel, you can extend your fingers and touch the windscreen"

That's a unique driving position and a unique experience, to be sure. Ah, the 911-isms

everytime I hear/ see a 964 the cops theme song automatically starts playing in my head and I picture this

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie2LO View Post
      I may or may not have slapped a cougar outside seacrits at 230am
      [Alex @ AllesGute

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast