VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Some Mk1 history tidbits I wasn't aware of...

358K views 618 replies 168 participants last post by  Hammandy 
#1 ·
#575 · (Edited)
Here is some stuff that I figured some of you may like.

Does anyone have any info on the origin of the belt buckle?

"Pulling A Hat Out Of A Rabbit

This was the theme of a Volkswagen campaign Mr. Smykal dreamed up himself and then sold to Volkswagen of America. The dealer promotion involved a hat, which Mr. Smykal designed and made, which was in the back of a Volkswagen Rabbit. "People would come into the showroom and pull a hat out of the rabbit," he says with a smile."
Source: http://claymarketing.com/tcmgtpm.html

#581 ·
Here is some stuff that I figured some of you may like.

"Pulling A Hat Out Of A Rabbit

This was the theme of a Volkswagen campaign Mr. Smykal dreamed up himself and then sold to Volkswagen of America. The dealer promotion involved a hat, which Mr. Smykal designed and made, which was in the back of a Volkswagen Rabbit. "People would come into the showroom and pull a hat out of the rabbit," he says with a smile."
Source: http://claymarketing.com/tcmgtpm.html
Ha, I have one of each of those hats. Never knew the story behind them. Thanks!

#578 ·
Pictures wanted

I’m exploring the possibility of a story about the former Volkswagen (Sony) factory. If doable, it would be part of my ON THIS DAY series on the WPXI website and centered around July 14, 1988, when the last car rolled out of the plant, but include a complete history of the facility as well.

I'd love to include YOUR pictures in the story, but I would need them emailed to me with permission-- and they must be your personal pictures, not copied from elsewhere.
Even if you've already posted them, I can't just save them from the thread because of watermarking, lack of permission.

If you can send them, I’d also need to know how to courtesy them appropriately. Private message me with your email and I'll contact you, since submission rules forbid including my email address in this post.

I would need submissions by July 13, 2020 at the latest... then look for the story to post on July 14, 2020 (at least, that's the plan!)

Thank you all-- I've really enjoyed the stories and memories, read all 24 (!!) pages and loved every click.

#579 ·
I’m exploring the possibility of a story about the former Volkswagen (Sony) factory. If doable, it would be part of my ON THIS DAY series on the WPXI website and centered around July 14, 1988, when the last car rolled out of the plant, but include a complete history of the facility as well.

I'd love to include YOUR pictures in the story, but I would need them emailed to me with permission-- and they must be your personal pictures, not copied from elsewhere.
Even if you've already posted them, I can't just save them from the thread because of watermarking, lack of permission.

If you can send them, I’d also need to know how to courtesy them appropriately. Private message me with your email and I'll contact you, since submission rules forbid including my email address in this post.

I would need submissions by July 13, 2020 at the latest... then look for the story to post on July 14, 2020 (at least, that's the plan!)

Thank you all-- I've really enjoyed the stories and memories, read all 24 (!!) pages and loved every click.

I guess this thread is pretty dead.... but I found the info here useful and it inspired me to dig a little deeper than typical news story-length.

I'm not allowed to post links since I'm a new member (and not going to be active beyond this point) but you can Google the story I wrote for posterity and hopefully it meets whatever expectations the membership here may have, should this thread get any further attention.

It'll be on WPXI website and I'm sure if you search that plus Volkswagen and Westmoreland, it'll come up. It's the "ON THIS DAY" one.

#601 ·
Sorry if this has been covered, but did you know there were at least three versions of the classic MK1 steel wheel?

I knew there were 4.5" and 5" width versions both ET 45.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior

13x4.5J ET45

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

5Jx13H2 ET45

Now I have discovered that the spare from my 1982 Jetta is actually 5.5 inch width with ET 38.

White Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Bumper

5 1/2Jx13H2 ET38

I would love to find three more 5 1/2s. Does anyone have more information about the story behind the different width 13" steel wheels?

#613 ·
Let’s see if I can nail down the proper application for each width.

5.5” was specific to jettas, dashers, and special edition rabbits like the champagne cars. They’d have the deeper center caps and the beauty rings.

Top trim level rabbits or pickups would get the 5” wide wheels that would come with standard center caps and trim rings. That would be 77-80 Rabbit L/LS, 81-82 Rabbit LS, 83-84 Rabbit GL and 80-83 Pickup LX

Base and middle trim level cars would receive the 4.5” wheel. That was standard and by far the most common. That would be 74-82 Rabbit, 77-80 Rabbit C, 81-84 Rabbit L, and 80-83 Pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#604 ·
now find 5 jettas and take their spare tires! ....

i knew the black spare in rabbits was thinner, didnt realize there was a 5.5
from now on every jetta scrapper i see im going to dig in the trunk carpet to see whats in there

the black spare depended on year i guess. my 78 had a full silver spare, my 81 had a black one that was thinner.

#609 ·
I saw a beautiful, early 80s Convertible Rabbit that sold on BaT a year or two ago that had wheels like that. Don't know if they were original or not, but it was a ridiculously low mileage car, as I recall.

I think they look beautiful like that, but am too lazy to do two tones for my steel wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.