VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Some Mk1 history tidbits I wasn't aware of...

358K views 618 replies 168 participants last post by  Hammandy 
#1 ·
#80 ·
Re: FV-QR (dubdaze68)

Quote, originally posted by dubdaze68 »
Awesome prototype....Does the green signify a possible Bundeswehr application, along the lines of Iltis?

I kinda think so - look how "finished" this prototype is. I wouldn't doubt it was shown off to the same gang of customers as the Iltis. Morgan claims the bed floor sits above the rear wheel arches on this particular vehicle, which would fit in with having a military purpose. Morgan said these vehicles were used as shop mules around the factory and not sold to the public, but I bet there's gotta be at least one that survived (and from what some of my friends I've met over the years at VWoA have shown me, I wouldn't doubt it's out there)...
Oh yea, here's the link to the separate thread on the Caddy prototype: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4837560

#82 ·
Re: Some Mk1 history tidbits I wasn't aware of... (mk216v)

Interesting stuff... I'm watching this.
EDIT: I had a bunch of nitpicky stuff from early in the thread but this has way changed and I wanna hear more cool cooljet stories
I asked him for details about the early years of the Mk2 but I don['t think the Mk2 forum would be interested... maybe he'll post them here, don't hate me

Modified by VDub2625 at 9:20 AM 4-8-2010

#85 ·
Re: Some Mk1 history tidbits I wasn't aware of... (volks25)

This is an interesting question for you to ponder. As far as production scrap I am happy to report that only the two bodies that Mr Cummis through off the paint shop load station (see earlier story) were scraped. Now for all of you to really understand this reality, the Germans had built such tight tolerence in all of its fixtures and the continuous quality checks in all of the sub assembly areas that when the parts and subassemblies came together is was awsome. Once the bodies were assembled we had to have the bodies go through a giant checking fixture that measured the unit. In the beginning this was done about every 5 bodies. As confidence with the fixturing proved reliable the amount of bodies measured was reduced to 2 per shift.
As far a scrap was concerned we did see scrap in the form of individual parts in the subassembly areas.
One other interesting not is that VWMOA had a stringent quality requirements that had to be performed and the Tier 1 suppliers before the parts left for Westmoreland.
Hope that answers you question.
Capt.

#87 ·
Re: Some Mk1 history tidbits I wasn't aware of... (JBGITTY)

This is the best thread and content I have seen in a long time here, or possibly ever!

Thank you for taking the time to tell these stories and give us some context for the cars we spend so much time on. I have lots of questions, but one that I have always wondered is how the split of German made parts (including interior dash/wiring/fuseboxes, etc...) evolved over the years at Westmoreland. Clearly the first 250 were 100% German-made kits, and as the factory ramped up you incorporated more American made assemblies and parts but what did that percentage come out to for the Rabbits over the years? I have an early 1980 model year caddy, it is very cool to know that you oversaw it being built.

#88 ·
Re: Some Mk1 history tidbits I wasn't aware of... (jv-dub)

The reasoning behind the different parts is that it is cheaper to make and buy parts here in the US from local suppliers then to have them shipped from Germany. THus an electrical system that is very GM-like since it was developed in the US by an outside company. Same with the seats, different interior (and since they were building it here they decided to take some styling liberties as well), tail lights, suspension feel, etc.
THe Mk2 was a slightly different case as it was made to 100% immitate it's EUropean counterpart, but yet again all the sub-assemblies and components are locally made and thus quite different from the German counterparts.
I di find it quite interesting that as Jettas in the late 80s got really popular, they decided to build them at Westmoreland to keep from running out of stock until Puebla was greenlit for USA sales. They stamped the bodies here in the USA too. But they didn't use USA-built components... they actually shipped over all the supplies (dash, electrical system, seats, etc) from Europe so they were basically a German-made model made away from home. I guess it was easier to absorb this cost though since Jettas were far more popular. And they only made the most popular model, the 4 door GL.

#90 ·
Re: (dubdaze68)

Quote, originally posted by dubdaze68 »
The old "Volkswagen Drive" became "Technology Drive".

A few years back I wanted to buy the "Volkswagen Drive" sign with the arrow, from a local PennDOT location. I had spied it through the fence sitting on top of a pile of old signs. My wife actually went into the office on site and tried to buy it for me-- she was told in no uncertain terms that it was not for sale.
After VW pulled-out and the plant was vacant, VW Drive used to be a pretty big spot for clandestine street racing. The road into the plant is pretty long.

#92 ·
Re: (Mark Morris)

Quote, originally posted by Mark Morris »

A few years back I wanted to buy the "Volkswagen Drive" sign with the arrow, from a local PennDOT location. I had spied it through the fence sitting on top of a pile of old signs. My wife actually went into the office on site and tried to buy it for me-- she was told in no uncertain terms that it was not for sale.
After VW pulled-out and the plant was vacant, VW Drive used to be a pretty big spot for clandestine street racing. The road into the plant is pretty long.

I knew it was still around until a couple of years ago, I say if it's still there we go steal it.
And VW Drive is great, until you hit the lower end going into New Stanton and you forget about that one big bump.
The local chapter of the SCCA did run Autocrosses there for a few years, then it moved to Connellsville Airport, then they got bounced from there....Now it's Beaverun.

#97 ·
Re: (saddest6day66)

Quote, originally posted by saddest6day66 »
A relevant item i have. i have to post a pic of a booklet i have from what i believe was given to employees of the plant..

Nice find - how did you come by it? I've been looking for one for decades now, never come across one that anybody wanted to part with. Same pouch as Morgan's too...

Modified by buzbomb at 9:42 PM 4-16-2010

#98 ·
Re: (buzbomb)

Wow, please keep this stuff coming! I absolutely LOVE the history of the Pa plant and the cars that came from it. This has got to be the best thread ever (for rabbit nerds at least haha)
Subscribed! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#99 ·
Re: (vwnut84)

Ok, so I'm laying in bed trying to sleep, and I'm thinking about this thread (sick, I know) and I remember that I had gotten an E-mail from one of the workers at the plant many years ago. His name was Blaine Stanza. He had sent me all sorts of info, including some pictures, but unfortunately were lost on my work computer. I'm going to try and search him out and see if I can get in contact with him again.
back to bed.

Modified by vwnut84 at 10:11 PM 4-17-2010

#100 ·
FV-QR

I think I remembered the e-mail correctly and have sent him a link so he can chime in on this (fingers crossed)
Edit: damnit, no dice.
He must not have the address anymore.
Well if anyone else recognizes him, I'm pretty sure his name was Blaine Stanza, or Stanzia. I don't remember exactly.

Modified by vwnut84 at 10:15 PM 4-17-2010

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.