VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Holset user thread

412K views 1K replies 142 participants last post by  Brake Weight 
#1 · (Edited)
#42 ·
design (90* bend of compressor can bring problems), price, and availability. The only real thing the HE351 has over the HX35 is faster spool which is attributed to the 9cm hotside not compressor wheel design... the HE351 has a large compressor wheel but flows the same and has the same efficiency (roughly) to that of the HX35

HE351:

HX35

#45 ·
I believe the he351 does flow a bit more. But q is right, that 90* is a bitch. The only way it will fit on any vw would be with a sri, or a 1.8t of some sort. Except most of 1.8t guys only talk about garretts and pte turbos that the dsm guys have proven how ****ty the chra's are at med to high boost.

There is a dsm named aero who ran the he351ve (the vgt one) using a 14b actuator. Before his rod bearing went he was seeing positive manifold pressure around 2400 rpm. I'm not into fast spool but a turbo that spools before 3k and pump out 500+ whp is better than any turbo imho. Plus being able to have it act like a big hotside on the top end makes the turbine more efficient.

Quint if you could post up at what point you see positive manifold pressure and at what point you see full spool that would be great

#50 ·
Now just imagine if you actually made a divided mani. Dsm people talk about picking up a few hundred rpm of spool, along with 'tuning' their oil pressure.

Btw quintin what is your oil feed/drain setup? I currently have some russel -16an proflex hose on the way and I'm going to flare the stock cummins pipe and clamp it to that. The od of the cummins drain tube is .88 and the russell proflex line is .875 id

#57 · (Edited)
I ran a HY35 on my 1.8t in my Corrado. It put down 342HP at 21PSI. Full boost was at 4800RPM. I later changed to a HX35 later and lost about 100rpm spool but did not notice much on the top end. I never had a chance to re dyno it. I did somehow manage to loose 5MPG going from the HY to the HX.

I have since parted out the car and used the HX35 on my 4runner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.