US-Only BMW M3 Frozen Grey Edition coincides with 25 years of M3 in America. Only 30 will be built. $77,600.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

US-Only BMW M3 Frozen Grey Edition coincides with 25 years of M3 in America. Only 30 will be built. $77,600.

It was twenty-five years ago that BMW released the M3 on the American market, creating an icon for the brand that billed itself as building the Ultimate Driving Machine. Since then, the M3 has been a perennial favorite among performance driving enthusiasts. To commemorate a quarter century of this legendary model, BMW North America has commissioned a very special edition of the 2011 M3 coupe.

There won't be any "special edition" badging emblazoned on this model, however. Instead, it will be known instantly by its special finish, Frozen Gray, a matte-finished version of BMW's popular Space Gray paint that is available in Europe as a BMW Individual color. BMW will build just thirty — that's right, 3-0 — examples of the 2011 Frozen Gray M3. All will be coupes, and will be equipped identically... FULL STORY AND GALLERY

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If I had the money and connections, I'd buy one just to resell.

Matte paint sucks.

I think they should build 1,003.
      Nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Matte paint sucks.
      agreed...I can't get excited over a dull paint job.
      Previously Owned:
      2016 JK Wrangler, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2003 Dodge Stratus Coupe, 2011 Ram 1500,
      2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

It's incredibly bland for a sporty car that's nearly $80k. It's a shame that BMW is so conservative with their designs.

Celebrating 25 years by building 30 cars. Seems like a logical number of cars.

VarianceVQ
      Matte paint sucks.
      x3

Pretty blah, should've offered it in some old school colors to harken back to the olden days.

In my opinion, for 25th anniversary, you need a bigger bump for 30 car run. Do a CSL type model. I don't think they get much more out of the motor.

I don't think the color is all that.

Sorry, I'm expecting more.

I actually think the paint looks pretty wicked, the light weight wheels and cross drilled rotors look sweet too.

That's pretty much where my enthusiasm stops, it's lame that there will be no manual available and the interior leather combination looks lame, tacky, and kind of cheap.

One thing's for sure though, this will be one rare car!
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

I asked about the 30-car tally, and they said they would have liked to have done more, but the special paint is the limiting factor. They got as many as Germany would allocate them. I thought 25 cars for 25 years would have made sense too.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Heritage colors would have been better. Maybe a subtle tri-color hash stripe somewhere on the fender, but only if it could be done tastefully. Same with the seats.

I've always been impressed that M3 buyers seem much more of the "use the car as intended" school, than the collector-oriented crowd that buys many Porsches (not all, I realize that owners race Porsches actively in PCA events, etc, please don't freak out on me). So it seems weird for BMW to make a car like this. It's much more of a Porsche move.

I have a gut feeling these will be snatched up by collectors and sit in garages for the next 20 years, then be sold for twice the original price.

The M3 was launched in the American market 25 years ago? I thought the first M3 to come to the US was
      in 88.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmoy View Post
      The M3 was launched in the American market 25 years ago? I thought the first M3 to come to the US was
      in 88.
      Production began in '86 in Europe and this is a '11 model, however I'm uncertain when the first US M3 went on sale. I like the matte finish, and I'm sure it'll look even better in person. I agree that a LTW tri-color version should be introduced.

M3 Special Edition: Not so special.

Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Production began in '86 in Europe and this is a '11 model, however I'm uncertain when the first US M3 went on sale. I like the matte finish, and I'm sure it'll look even better in person. I agree that a LTW tri-color version should be introduced.
      The km article is claiming 25 years in America, but I'm thinking this is to commemorate 25 years of M3 production.

Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      Celebrating 25 years by building 30 cars. Seems like a logical number of cars.
      Bowties (not the Chevy kind), tattoos, and mostly being completely undecided

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Heritage colors would have been better. Maybe a subtle tri-color hash stripe somewhere on the fender, but only if it could be done tastefully. Same with the seats.
      I agree...or maybe some custom stitching on the seats or inside?
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      Plus, if it gets cold, you can close the door and start the car up. It'll heat the place up in no time to help you sleep.
      Team 7-Up Keepin It Fresh! [llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

I like the color. What is the maintenance of matte paint like?

So... they're celebrating 25 years of the M3 by painting in one of the most boring colors and the second most lame transmission? I guess that fits with their current way of doing things.
      '98 E36 M3/4/5
      '67 Cougar

I've had a few beers, so this rant is going to be close minded and I will sound like a self righteous prick.

What do you think of when you think of M3s? I'm not talking about the douche bag persona that the general public thinks. As a car enthusiast, what is your unbiased first thought of the M3 as a car? The original bench mark for a luxury sport sedan right? That may or not be the case now as other manufacturers are offering fine alternatives, but it sure as hell was the bench mark with the E30 and E36.

If anything they should be painted similar to this!

This is how you celebrate your 25th anniversary of your best sport sedan! Not with something relatively bland and boring. If anything, you go back to your roots a little and make it purely for the enthusiast. I bet there's 30 enthusiasts out there with a ton of money. Strip that thing out, make it ride and handle more like the E30/E36! What I have in mind is porsche GT2 treatment, but with a smoother ride and no cage of course to comply with the LUXURY sport part. Bah, whatever though. It's about the cash they'll bring in and I understand that I suppose, but god damn!
      '98 E36 M3/4/5
      '67 Cougar

Still no torque.
      I'll be in my bunk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast